Ninja Theory Wants Devil May Cry Reboot to Compete with Bayonetta

TheLoveableMuffin

Jun 11, 2011
From what I've seen in the gameplay of DMC it actually looks very slow compared to Bayonetta, especially when most of the combos seem to be air-based and where Dante seems to float in the same spot or charge attacks.

On a related note, I personally think Capcom are also being very in-considerate by releasing the Devil May Cry HD trilogy around the same time as DMC. It's almost like saying, "we know you fans dont like the new Dante...BUT GOOD NEWS! Here's a HD re-doing of the classic Dante adventures! We'll get your money one way or another!"

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Antoniades, Jones, and NT once again being arrogant douchebags. I consider DMC4 to be a far more enjoyable game than Bayonetta (mostly because I find the latter to be in the same vein as self-indulgent tripe as Sucker Punch), but there is NO WAY these guys have a chance in hell of even matching Kamiya's leftovers. Their gameplay has always been mediocre drivel that aggressively HATES players as if it's saying "why are you getting in the way of our AWESOME STORY!? GO AWAY!" The sad thing is that their narratives have been average at best.

Also I find it hilarious how they comment about Bayonetta despite Antoniades slamming the title for its over-the-top attitude. When you're trying to make an action game like this, the more grand you are the better. Antoniades, ashamed of being a games designer ever since he got into the industry

mightybozz

Aug 20, 2009
I loved Bayonetta. But why does everyone keep comparing it to DMC? There are only superficial similarities. It's a spectacle fighter battling demons (or demon-like things) in a world defined by a blend of modern and medieval aesthetics, with over the top cutscenes.

But DMC rarely if ever let you play in scenes as ridiculous as those in Bayonetta. The combat system isn't as intuitive, and personally I never found DMC to be as much fun.

Bayonetta owes a great deal more to Viewtiful Joe, for obvious reasons (the developers at Platinum Games who came from Clover). One button for punch, one for kick, one for dodge, cinematic effects and more arcade-style battles all come straight from the cartoon brawler. Shame the music and the story don't.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
This new Devil May Cry is a reboot? No, it can't be: the last one only came out around 3 years ago.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wait what, you fucked it up that bad?
Why would the old well established franchise now have to "stand toe-to-toe" with the new barely noticed kid... there is something seriously scary going on with the development of this game.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
Good luck with that Ninja Theory. I'm sure you will do it...*cough*. Seriously, it is ambitious and ambition is a good thing. Hopefully the game turns out better and I mean WAY better than in the trailers because of it.

You know, I'm sensing similarities between DmC and Prince of Persia 2008. A controversial character re-design, pretty visuals and worse, frankly boring, combat. Huh. I wonder if DmC will also have a shitty ending.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
I can't help but notice people expressing confusion or even dismay at the developers' decision to place higher than Bayonetta, and specifically Bayonetta, on the grands scale of "good fighting games". This is because - whatever you think of the game's aesthetics, story, dialogue, character design or popularity - it is the most mechanically brilliant beat 'em up around. I shan't bore you with elaborate explanations of the enormous depth belying its simple accessibility or how its system of grades and rewards perfectly rewards those willing to delve those depths without making itself inaccessible to those who don't. You can find all of that stuff in the countless fawning critical reviews if you so want it.

What I will do, however, is point something out for those who missed it. You see, people who love the DmC/Bayonetta/GoW style of game enough to delve into each title's meta-game, to master its quirks and combos, already know that Bayonetta is the most mechanically brilliant game of its genre. This announcement is an appeal to them, the hardcore fans of "spectacle fighters", not to the jaded DmC fans who may never have played Bayonetta. This announcement is a way of saying, directly to the fans who "know what they're talking about", that they are striving to match or better the best mechanics of the genre.

As for how slow the combat seems compared to Bayonetta's - that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Slowing combat to a more purposeful (though still quit hectic) pace allows the game to demand more tactical approaches to a fight. In doing so it creates a possibility that the player may fail due to poor planning, bad tactics or even failing to manipulate enemy placement, in addition to possibility of failure due to bad reactions.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
As much as I've liked Ninja Theory's games in the past, this isn't exactly the greatest strategy in the world. You're rebooting Hideki Kamiya's old franshise and claiming you're hoping it will compete with his new one. And as much as I love DMC and especially Bayonetta, I'd prefer that Ninja Theory try to be more unique. You can't outdo Hideki Kamiya at bing Hideki Kamiya.

008Zulu said:
Maybe its why Sega isn't looking too keenly to do Bayonetta 2 at the moment; They struck gold with the perfect game right off the bat and now they are apprehensive if it were a fluke or an unrepeatable success.
It might be because after Bayonetta has taken down a God, it's hard to come up with a worthy opponent.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
So nobody else is wondering why the DmC guys are hoping to beat a game that was itself hoping to beat DMC? It basically means "we want to be better than the other people in our genre"... which is what every game developer says. They just picked one of the most popular examples of said genre. It'd be like a guy making a sports game saying "I want to beat Madden".

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
esin said:
And Dante surfing a missile is intelligent and plausible?
gigastar said:
I think we both know that Dante surfing that missile would prove to be one of the less rediculous things to happen in DMC3.
I'm pretty sure Bayonetta did that at some point too.

Reading this thread has shown me the rift between those who like DMC and Bayonetta. What some of them probably don't know is that Bayonetta's combat was just as good if not better. They're similar but still different games that should be judged on their own merits.

8-Bit_Jack said:
bayonetta was all of devil may cry's ridiculousness with none of its quality.
If that is true, then what Bayonetta lacks in quality, it makes up for with style.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Arkley said:
Why we're baffled is that NT is on record bashing Bayonetta so it's odd that they'd just NOW be admitting it as a worthy opponent. But then again NT has a history of contradicting and backpedaling when they aren't insulting people

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
MercurySteam said:
esin said:
gigastar said:
I think we both know that Dante surfing that missile would prove to be one of the less rediculous things to happen in DMC3.
Then ill present to you this scene voiced entirely in double entendre which youve probably seen from DMC4 where Dante recieves the Lucifer.

And this scene from DMC3 that will forever be remembered as "That Thing with the Motorcycle"

I cannot wait for that in HD.

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
So that's why they're making DMC suck.
You sir are speaking the truth.

Honestly, I bought Bayonetta with high anticipation and was let down every single second. The battle system is retarded and only focuses on dodging and doesn't focus at all on combos and style. The story is... ah well, this thread isn't about that. :3

On topic: Ninja Theory is really destroying the whole "Devil May Cry" franchise. First they completely change the protagonist's style for the worse. I mean his hair looks like someone took a crap on his head. And they changed his personality a lot as well. Look at this.

Since when does he need someone else to show him the way? "Here comes trouble", wtf? Fodder demons, trouble? Seriously? Remember Dante's scene with Belial and when he got Inferno in DMC4? Remember Dante making fun of Arkham when he transformed? THAT is the real Dante that the fans of the franchise love and want to see more of. And not only that. This 'new Dante' is also pretty weak; a spinning kick and the uhm... 'camera'-eye thingy isn't smashed? And let us not forget the 'vivid' voice acting in this little vid. *cough*

Secondly, it really doesn't help that they are openly admitting that they want to compete with Bayonetta - whether you think Bayonetta is a good game or not. Devil May Cry pretty much started the genre for these types of action games and has had 3 successors. It is a franchise with a certain reputation. You don't try to sink down to a game that hasn't even been franchised yet. You don't see the 'Tales of' guys saying "Hey, our next game is gonna destroy 'Eternal Sonata' olololol".

So in the end, what they are doing is destroying the image of 'Devil May Cry' being up there and leveling it down together with a sleeper hit, that has no sequel yet in sight. It's like giving up the fight before it even began. Well, from a marketing perspective, of course. :3 Ninja Theory seems to be unable to handle this kind of IP, it's too big for them.

And it is not like a new design of a well-established character is bound to fail: the DMC4 Dante is a good example already. But as for an example that is not DMC related: Zero from Megaman X. In the Zero series they redesigned Zero to the point where he didn't really look like the Zero that everyone knew. It was very well-received and a success. You know why? Because Zero was still Zero. He handled like the old Zero did, he had the same trademarks the old Zero did and he acted exactly the way the old Zero would have in his place.
And also because his new design was uhm... what do you call it again... good? :3

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Aiddon said:
Antoniades, Jones, and NT once again being arrogant douchebags. I consider DMC4 to be a far more enjoyable game than Bayonetta (mostly because I find the latter to be in the same vein as self-indulgent tripe as Sucker Punch), but there is NO WAY these guys have a chance in hell of even matching Kamiya's leftovers. Their gameplay has always been mediocre drivel that aggressively HATES players as if it's saying "why are you getting in the way of our AWESOME STORY!? GO AWAY!" The sad thing is that their narratives have been average at best.

Also I find it hilarious how they comment about Bayonetta despite Antoniades slamming the title for its over-the-top attitude. When you're trying to make an action game like this, the more grand you are the better. Antoniades, ashamed of being a games designer ever since he got into the industry
Looks like someone made my point for me already, almost word for word.

Bear in mind, Ninja Theory, you're dealing with people who actually know how to make action games. And they likely give zero shits about your endeavors, their affections for the Devil May Cry series notwithstanding.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Otaku World Order said:
It might be because after Bayonetta has taken down a God, it's hard to come up with a worthy opponent.
I reckon there is a bigger fish out there, or at least one of equal size.

Shadow Geo

Mar 24, 2011
I loved Bayonetta, more so than the DMC series, so I just hope this one will find its own path and not try to directly compete Bayonetta.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Yeah.. Not going to happen. I really don't see them making a better game than DMC3, let alone Bayonetta. The DMC franchise should have been wrapped up after the third game, anyway. The forth one was a bore and NT's reboot doesn't look all that much more interesting, either.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
MercurySteam said:
esin said:
gigastar said:

Reading this thread has shown me the rift between those who like DMC and Bayonetta. What some of them probably don't know is that Bayonetta's combat was just as good if not better. They're similar but still different games that should be judged on their own merits.

8-Bit_Jack said:
bayonetta was all of devil may cry's ridiculousness with none of its quality.
If that is true, then what Bayonetta lacks in quality, it makes up for with style.
Bayonetta had no style. just one old man harping on his past success.

Honestly, I think what makes me angry about this new game is that someone found a way to disappoint me more than DMC4 did.