Nintendo and Mistwalker Team-Up for The Last Story

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
ultimasupersaiyan said:
There's a pretty good chance that The Last Story will end up being a franchise like Blue Dragon, but it all depends on the style of game it is. If it's a traditional JRPG then it will be successful in Japan and fail everywhere else, but if it's an Action RPG then it will fail in Japan and succeed everywhere else. JRPG developers can't win either way. I now I like the traditional JRPG format and hope that The Last Story is one.

Turn Based Combat rules!
I dunno monster hunter and others do well in jp....

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Any relations to The Last Guardian?..............Sorry, I couldn't resist.
There are other games that have The last you know.
Like the last remnant for example.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
tkioz said:
err Final Fantasy and Last Story... two phrases that mean pretty much the same damn thing. Guy needs to come up with better names
How about "The first in a possible series if things goes well"? The second game would be "The second in a possible series if things continues to go well".

On it's 11th game, it will be called "We made a lot of money, but the show must go on because we love you guys...Oh and it's the 11th game. Hope you like it! ".

EDIT: Let's hope there's a job system.

adrianextrabold

Nov 3, 2009
I think it's always good to see the big companies taking on creative auteurs, usually means better games. Something else to look forward to until The Another World comes out. -Girlish squee- etc.

EDIT: Anybody know when this'll hit Australia?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Intresting...well, I certainly will listen out for ingfo at the very least

laryri

May 19, 2008
As much as I would love to make unfounded comments about the games quality and/or gameplay, there really isn't anything to go on now. I will watch where this goes. If it does turn out to be turn-based, even with some sort of flair or function added on, the story will be the most important element in my eyes. The Last Story as a title doesn't leave me much hope, either they threw out the title without a general idea of what the game was going to be about, the title is completely unrelated to the game, or the plot will be very, very generic JRPG fair.

Wait, that was plenty unfounded, but it wasn't about quality and/or gameplay. Drat. Oh well, close enough.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Hmm, Lost Odyssey. Final Fantasy. Last, same meaning as final, and sounds a bit like lost. Last Fantasy? Nah, can't really get away with that. Last Odyssey? Too unoriginal, even by JPRG standards. Last Story will have to do then. Neither quite as dramatic sounding as "Final" and "Odyssey", but it's all we've got.

But yeh, a Final Fantasy-like name to go with a Final Fantasy style logo. Brilliant.

But with the help of a thesaurus(.com), they could have easily made Last Minute Fairyland or Absolute Head Trip. Which sound much better, I think.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
Well if it doesn't work out it might just be his last story. Which seems appropriate after a career of making games called Final.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
MarsProbe said:
Hmm, Lost Odyssey. Final Fantasy. Last, same meaning as final, and sounds a bit like lost. Last Fantasy? Nah, can't really get away with that. Last Odyssey? Too unoriginal, even by JPRG standards. Last Story will have to do then. Neither quite as dramatic sounding as "Final" and "Odyssey", but it's all we've got.

But yeh, a Final Fantasy-like name to go with a Final Fantasy style logo. Brilliant.

But with the help of a thesaurus(.com), they could have easily made Last Minute Fairyland or Absolute Head Trip. Which sound much better, I think.
Not as dramatic as 'Final Fantasy', but sounds much more melancholy which could fit a JRPG in a different way.

Just semantics though, hopefully this is the first proper JRPG for the Wii! Being a fan of the genre from the start, this gen has a left a lot to be desired. NES/Snes used to be the dominant platform for the genre, then that was taken over by the PS1 and PS2, but the genre isn't well suited for the overpowered PS3 and the Xbox360 has taken over a lot of it, but that's not the right audience. It's always been my opinion that the genre, apart from Final Fantasy which can actually have the budget to fully utilize the PS3 and Xbox 360, should've migrated back to the Wii this gen.

kawaiiamethist

Nov 21, 2009
ultimasupersaiyan said:
There's a pretty good chance that The Last Story will end up being a franchise like Blue Dragon, but it all depends on the style of game it is. If it's a traditional JRPG then it will be successful in Japan and fail everywhere else, but if it's an Action RPG then it will fail in Japan and succeed everywhere else. JRPG developers can't win either way. I now I like the traditional JRPG format and hope that The Last Story is one.

Turn Based Combat rules!
Star Ocean is action JRPG and it's an ongoing smash in Japan. The Tales series may also count, with all the button mashing involved. FFXII, Kingdom Hearts and Magna Carta II were also action.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
Tom Goldman said:

Nintendo unveiled The Last Story this week, a Wii RPG in co-development with Hironobu Sakaguchi's Mistwalker. Sakaguchi is the creator of the Final Fantasy series (not to mention Rad Racer), but left Square Enix to form Mistwalker in 2004. Mistwalker's major releases have been Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey for the Xbox 360, both enjoyable games but neither on the level of Sakaguchi's previous works.
I'm offended that you think Lost Odyssey is crap compared Final Fantasy I - III

those games were horrid, but his other 2 Final Fantasy games, Final Fantasy IV and V, were quite fun once you got past the initial dialogue.

Never played Blue Dragon but Lost Odyssey is one of the best JRPGs ever made (because of the story)

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
I think Lost Odyssey was definitely on par with stories like Final Fantasy 7 and 10, I absolutely loved Lost Odyssey. If the game just had a different name, like I dunno, "Final Fantasy 13" then I can guarantee it would've sold millions of copies and become very respected.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Tom Goldman said:

Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi hasn't quite been able to hit the mark since forming new studio Mistwalker, but he and Nintendo are going to give it another shot.

Nintendo unveiled The Last Story this week, a Wii RPG in co-development with Hironobu Sakaguchi's Mistwalker. Sakaguchi is the creator of the Final Fantasy series (not to mention Rad Racer), but left Square Enix to form Mistwalker in 2004. Mistwalker's major releases have been Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey for the Xbox 360, both enjoyable games but neither on the level of Sakaguchi's previous works.

This is unfortunately one of those situations where very little is known about the The Last Story other than name and developer. Mistwalker and Nintendo want to create a new form of RPG and The Last Story will revolve around "universal feelings held by people." The game's logo features a girl with a healthy head of hair that is holding a sword in her armpit. Is this a hint that Nintendo and Mistwalker plan to create an armpit sword fighting game, in which combat can only be performed by holding Wii Remotes in our actual armpits? If so, you all owe me a dollar.

The game's name itself might say something here, as The Last Story is awfully similar to Final Fantasy. The situation is also somewhat like when the original Final Fantasy was released, which was a new RPG on a very popular Nintendo console. Sakaguchi might be ready to show the world that he's still got some pizazz left in him. A developer blog is expected to open in March, but while waiting for more information feel free to stare at The Last Story's website [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/slsj/index.html].

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/01/29/mistwalker_nintendo_last_story/]

I like girls with a full head of hair. It looks feminine. One of the better ways of making a very feminine heroine, alongside giant boobs and really wide hips. That siad, I hope it's on par with FF in terms of awesomeness.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
So another JRPG where we have seen and done it all before?

Im just waiting for the androgynous teenagers to turn up.

Thoroughly underwelmed.