Nintendo and Mistwalker Team-Up for The Last Story

llvanden

Jan 31, 2010
I'm still busy with Lost Odyssey and it rocks! 110 hours game time and still going. Im a huge FF fan and own all of them so far. However I never finished FFX and FFXII since they just didnt do it for me. Never bothered with FFX-2.

The reason I liked FFIV,FFVI,FFVII,FFVIII is because they all had epic stories and characters that grow on you, same with Lost Odyssey.

Im honestly hoping Last Story will be as in terms of plot.

Semi related: Lets hope it doesn't have horrible voice acting/timing like some Final Fantasy games.

CriticalGriffin

Jan 18, 2010
Seems pretty promising, though I can't shake the feeling that no one is going to buy it because people are too busy whining about Nintendo's console and franchises to actually bother to buy games that are different.

Seriously, has anyone here actually heard of, say, Magical Starsign?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
orangeapples said:
More Fun To Compute said:
They should make another game called Terminal Tale afterwards if this one isn't a hit.
then Closing Saga.

then Ending Dreams.
Ultimate Legend will be a big hit though so they will end up sticking with that name for at least 5 more games.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
So it's a JRPG called the LAST STORY made by the same guy who did FINAL FANTASY on a Nintendo console. Deja vu anyone?

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
It's hard to summon enthusiasm when they barely entertain a fresh title while saying they want to bring fresh ideas.

But hey, let's assume that folks who make videogames are capable of good, and judge it only by it's reality upon release.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
A developer blog is expected to open in March, but while waiting for more information feel free to stare at The Last Story's website [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/slsj/index.html].
Okay, let's check out this site of theirs...--!!

Oh God!! Soothing orchestral music! My one weakness!

Anyway... I kinda hope this does what Final Fantasy did for Sakaguchi. Not that I'm blindly excited to play this game or anything. Just having multiple franchises from one creative mind can't hurt. I mean, hell, Nintendo had to force Miyamoto get his tubes tied so he wouldn't pop out another one. Franchise, that is.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
this may be an attempt to get lightning to strike twice
the situation is identical to FF1

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
No No, people...

FINAL FANTASY is NOT the same thing as LAST STORY.

A "Fantasy" is something completely imagined, usually in the fantasy setting involving fantastic creatures like moogles, elves, dwarves, and androgynous teenage boy/girls.

A "Story" can be a retelling of an event, fact or fiction, or history or it can be completely made up, but it does not have to follow any known convention, such as fantasy, history, etc.

The last story could be a Chow yun Fat driven epic about a tough as nails cop who quit working with interpol in order to care for his autistic son who owns a farm in Wisconsin, when his son is killed by Nazi's who managed to break the space/time continuum but got trapped in an alternate dimension for the past 60 years and now their descendants have cracked the Vag-Hina code allowing them to return from their dimensional prison to awaken a legendary sleeping God that will bring about the end of all creation that is trapped somewhere in a world that exists inside the Earth accessible only through a single cave at the North Pole whose location is pointed out by a single geographic marker found on Chow Yun Fat's dead son's Wisconsin farm.

See the difference?

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Hmm...So Nintendo is finnaly starting a game that isnt some mii bullshit/game from their older franchises. It does look interesting...and genric at the same time.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
I hope they make sure there's no stereotypically androgynous pretty-boys-and-girls with poorly fleshed out emotional trauma like every other JRPG. I don't dislike that trend but it's getting a little repetitive.

Danman1

Mar 27, 2009
HyenaThePirate said:
No No, people...

A "Fantasy" is something completely imagined, usually in the fantasy setting involving fantastic creatures like moogles, elves, dwarves, and androgynous teenage boy/girls.

A "Story" can be a retelling of an event, fact or fiction, or history or it can be completely made up, but it does not have to follow any known convention, such as fantasy, history, etc.

The last story could be a Chow yun Fat driven epic about a tough as nails cop who quit working with interpol in order to care for his autistic son who owns a farm in Wisconsin, when his son is killed by Nazi's who managed to break the space/time continuum but got trapped in an alternate dimension for the past 60 years and now their descendants have cracked the Vag-Hina code allowing them to return from their dimensional prison to awaken a legendary sleeping God that will bring about the end of all creation that is trapped somewhere in a world that exists inside the Earth accessible only through a single cave at the North Pole whose location is pointed out by a single geographic marker found on Chow Yun Fat's dead son's Wisconsin farm.

See the difference?

But your "story" is complete fantasy, also. Everyone knows Nazi's never finished developing a functional time machine.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Danman1 said:
HyenaThePirate said:
No No, people...

See the difference?

But your "story" is complete fantasy, also. Everyone knows Nazi's never finished developing a functional time machine.
Ah, but there are no moogles, elves, hobbits, dragons, magic, androgynous teens, or any of that sort of usual "fantasy" fair... instead there is history, science, Nazis, and maybe a sword or two, although I guess you could call Chow Yun Fat spinning in a circle with doves flying out while he blows away a Nazi battalion a "magic spell" or at least a "summons".

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nintendo, making a fantasy JRPG called The Last Story?

Sakaguchi is so bitter about not owning Final Fantasy anymore he's just snapped and is making his own ersatz replacement for it.

I support him fully in this endeavor; if Final Fantasy is going to wave its genitals at the consumer, who better than Sakaguchi to wave his own at Final Fantasy? And then the consumer will inevitably respond by ignoring The Last Story like they did to Lost Odyssey.

Thus completing a bizarre triangle of three groups waving their dongs at each other in anger. This'll be fun to watch.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
lordlee said:
Actually there's quite a few JRPGs on the Wii. The true home this generation is the DS though, or at least that's how I've noticed it.
Well I guess there was a Tales game, but what I meant was a traditional JRPG, and not one of the many sub genre's (action, strategy, dungeon crawler, etc). Though I see there are some scheduled for launch before Last Story, so that's an improvement. And yes, the DS is basically the new home for the genre, but that's a step back in scale from what we got on the PS2, which could've been carried forward on the Wii.