Nintendo Announces 3DS XL

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
Alar said:
If I can get $200 spared up for any reason, I can see my next big purchase. I was waiting on the 3DS, but I might have to get this.
im the same. been wanting to get the 3ds for a while now, and actually planned on buying one today, then read this. not sure if i want to wait, is the changes that major?

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
antman9000 said:
Alar said:
If I can get $200 spared up for any reason, I can see my next big purchase. I was waiting on the 3DS, but I might have to get this.
im the same. been wanting to get the 3ds for a while now, and actually planned on buying one today, then read this. not sure if i want to wait, is the changes that major?
It's got a bigger screen, a fair deal of improvement to the battery life, and more space for extra games. I'd say that's worth $30.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I wonder why they didn't add another analog stick. Now would have been a good time to do so, although the larger screen and battery were smart moves. (still though i'm happy with the size of mine)

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Let's all stop giving Nintendo money. Maybe if we starve them long enough they'll do something original and right the first time, instead of rehashing the same few IP over and upgrading their hardware whenever sales slow.

"If you know it needs something something else, finish the fucking job! You don't buy a house and have the salesmen say 'Now, we could add a roof to it, but it'll cost you a little extra.'" - Arj Barker on leather protector for shoes.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
I'm interested. Only issue I have is if I'll be able to move over my games from my current 3DS over to this one, especially all the games from the ambassador program.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
Honestly? I was waiting for this. I didn't buy a 3DS straight out because of the lack of the titles I was looking for (Legend of Zelda among other, mainly N64 remakes to be honest) but now most of those are out, and I have some extra cash laying around so fuck me I'm gonna buy a 3DS XL, specially since Nintendo seems to be making a Majora's Mask for the 3DS too, I'm so happy about that stuff.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
The problem with adding a second circle pad would be alienating a huge part of the original 3DS userbase. They would be forced to buy the circle pad peripheral. They could have done it if they forced the CPP price a lot cheaper or release some bundle packs with some games that require it.

Doable, but I still understand what they were thinking about.

But I strongly agree with the guy who said no ac no buy. Seriously Nintendo? What the hell is wrong with you. It's a portable console. If it doesn't have an AC, what the hell am I supposed to do with it. And not including it to take the price down is RETARDED at best because either way I have to buy it. And buying it separated is even more expensive.
You're kidding, right? Please tell me I'm not getting that. It comes with no AC adapter? With no charger?! What the flying blob, Nintendo? That is the most retarded thing I have heard a console do. And believe me, after the PSP Go, I didn't think someone would top that. Congrats Nintendo. You've outdone yourself.

OT: I'm still not interested in getting one. I still don't have a list of games big enough to make me wanna get a 3DS. let's see, maybe Kid Icarus and Kingdom Hearts 3D. And Mario. The other good games have already been released for my 64, which I still have. So no, thanks.

Now, let me sit back and wait for the PS Vita Slim version.

Sep 14, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
ThePS1Fan said:
I have to agree with the person who made this picture. It only makes sense.
blackdwarf said:
no ac-adapter, no buy. and bigger screen but no better resolution? Nintendo, don't you want to sell your stuff?
Daystar Clarion said:
So no second analog stick?

I swear to god, you couldn't make this shit up.
Tanis said:
No 2nd Analog stick...when there's SO MUCH DAMN ROOM.

If this was Sony, the handheld would be DOA, but because it's Nintendo they're getting a free pass?

BAH!
It's almost as if they have no sense of direction.
i just don't get it, these things have been around for fucking ages...

I'm tempted to get a vita just in spite of the 3DS's horrible design. (not saying the vita is leaps and bounds better, but christ, 2 joysticks at least are on it)

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Yer.... Still gonna get a Vita, you had your chance to sell it to me but failed.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Ok, whats with this ?

You won't have to wait long to get your hands on it, as the 3DS XL (known as the LL in Japan) will hit retailers in the US on August 19th priced at $199.99, making it only $30 more than the 3DS. The release in Europe and Japan comes a little sooner, on July 28th, at a somewhat higher price of £179.99, ?199.99 and 18,900¥ respectively.

PLUS it doesnt come with an adapter, but in the UK you are expected to pay :
$281.02, thats $81 extra cash for less stuff in the box than the US. I sort of feel that these guys ( and the others , Sony and MS ) use the EU to scrape back some cash after going all out on the specials for the US.

Ah well its all a moot issue anyways, I still have my DSlite ( not the XL, DSi or XXLSuperSaiyanSSFIIaintgotshitonnameslikethis EX Extreme Version.... Alpha Zero ), and quiet frankly the 3DS hasnt really given me reason enough to bother titlewise.

... prehaps the 3DSXLReallybetterversionRev2.032 will be more attractive, but I guess Nintendo will add another $200 to the UK version and not supply screens, SD cards and Adapters.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Can't wait to see the brick this becomes with the "circle pad ultra pro" addition that is sure to come.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Is it me or are they just appending more and more letters to DS? Anyways, I haven't been remotely interested in any of them since I got the original when I was like twelve. So completely disinterested from this corner.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
ASnogarD said:
Ok, whats with this ?

You won't have to wait long to get your hands on it, as the 3DS XL (known as the LL in Japan) will hit retailers in the US on August 19th priced at $199.99, making it only $30 more than the 3DS. The release in Europe and Japan comes a little sooner, on July 28th, at a somewhat higher price of £179.99, ?199.99 and 18,900¥ respectively.

PLUS it doesnt come with an adapter, but in the UK you are expected to pay :
$281.02, thats $81 extra cash for less stuff in the box than the US. I sort of feel that these guys ( and the others , Sony and MS ) use the EU to scrape back some cash after going all out on the specials for the US.

Ah well its all a moot issue anyways, I still have my DSlite ( not the XL, DSi or XXLSuperSaiyanSSFIIaintgotshitonnameslikethis EX Extreme Version.... Alpha Zero ), and quiet frankly the 3DS hasnt really given me reason enough to bother titlewise.

... prehaps the 3DSXLReallybetterversionRev2.032 will be more attractive, but I guess Nintendo will add another $200 to the UK version and not supply screens, SD cards and Adapters.
pretty much this.
Thought about buying one (haven't gotten a 3DS or DSi yet) then saw that it doesn't come with an adapter aaaaand....yeah, it became somewhat pointless to buy. meh.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
Why would they not add a second analog stick it's not like they lack space and certain games actually require it.

Captcha: Since when. LOL

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
JezWilkinson said:
with its bundled SD card doubling from 2GB to 4GB.
Just a general comment: I really wish comapnies would stop bundling SD cards with every single device that can use them. I now have three 2GB MicroSD, one 32MB (MEGABYTES!! As if anyone still used that size...) and one 64MB SD card, and one 2GB MMC card lying around which I have no use for anymore, since I bought reasonably large cards for all devices they came with (the 32MB card was bundled with a CAMERA. Because a 9MP camera makes such TINY files!).

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I've been wanting to get a 3DS, but I've been waiting for the second model so that I can get a built in second analogue. Now I guess I'll have to wait even more until I get a 3DS, and Nintendo isn't exactly making it a hard wait...

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
blizzaradragon said:
I'm interested. Only issue I have is if I'll be able to move over my games from my current 3DS over to this one, especially all the games from the ambassador program.
You might be able to; I think there's a system transfer function in the options menu or something.

OT: This seems a bit pointless. No second analogue stick, only slightly better battery life, no higher resolution.
You're not making a compelling case nintendo :/

Cresscendo

Feb 24, 2010
So no second analog stick...slightly larger screen size...increased size of an already cumbersome handheld...and only barely increased battery life. In case you were not aware Nintendo, new revisions of existing hardware are supposed to be BETTER than the existing version. All you've given us now is a larger, less portable hand held that honestly does not outperform the original in really any meaningful way. The only good things that will hopefully come from this are: 1. The Vita's price drops; and 2. Sony now decides to release their next Vita iteration, which as history shows with the PSP (except the PSP Go) will be a better handheld gaming experience.