Nintendo Announces Female Version of Link, 'Linkle,' for Hyrule Warriors Legends

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Nintendo Announces Female Version of Link, 'Linkle,' for Hyrule Warriors Legends

Hyrule Warriors Legends will feature Linkle, the female version of Link.

We first saw Linkle in 2014 when picked up in June of this year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136795-Did-Hyrule-Warriors-Art-Book-Reveal-Female-Link], and in a Nintendo Direct today, she was confirmed as a new entry in Hyrule Warriors Legends.

In addition to Linkle, Hyrule Warriors Legends also welcomes Toon Link, Tetra, and The King of Hyrule from Wind Waker and Skull Kid from Majora's Mask.

Hyrule Warriors Legends will release on March 25.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/664935411454640128]

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Hhhrrrrrrmmm, Link's always been slightly feminine in appearance... and Linkle sounds like tinkle... 0_0

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Ugh. I've never been a fan of this idea and hoped Linkle never got in. Its nice for those that wanted her I suppose but its still a spot better characters can't be filling anymore.

I do like that she is depicted as a separate character rather then a female Link.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
"Linkle"?

Jesus christ, couldn't they have thought of a slightly less....stupid variant of Link? Linkle sounds like a cheesy joke, as if someone created the name to mock the very idea of a female Link.

Gads, they could just transpose the "l" and the "e" and the name would sound better than "Linkle".

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
PunkRex said:
Hhhrrrrrrmmm, Link's always been slightly feminine in appearance... and Linkle sounds like tinkle... 0_0

If you did not told me this was a "Female" Link I would have thought it was just Zelda in a different outfit or a best a Sister to Link (Which does exist because her name is Ayrll in Wind Waker)

Heck I don't see her as a female Link at all since she's not wearing the iconic Hat and instead a hood and just because its green its not enough to make her "Girl Link"

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Vigormortis said:
"Linkle"?

Jesus christ, couldn't they have thought of a slightly less....stupid variant of Link? Linkle sounds like a cheesy joke, as if someone created the name to mock the very idea of a female Link.

Gads, they could just transpose the "l" and the "e" and the name would sound better than "Linkle".
My Thoughts. One more to add to the list of Nintendo's stupid name for its product.

ScaredIndie

Guy who makes gamey things
Oct 21, 2014
I'm pretty happy they did this, I always though it would be interesting to change up Link and Zelda's genders. It is a story about reincarnation after all so it makes perfect sense. Not sure if I would get behind a gender swapped Gannon though because his lore is a little messier but even that could still work.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
That's cool and all... but I'm not too wild about the name. Linkle? REALLY?! Couldn't they pick something that's not so... lame?

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
PunkRex said:

Wait.. isn't tinkle...? No wait, its tingle. Nevermind.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
ScaredIndie said:
I'm pretty happy they did this, I always though it would be interesting to change up Link and Zelda's genders. It is a story about reincarnation after all so it makes perfect sense. Not sure if I would get behind a gender swapped Gannon though because his lore is a little messier but even that could still work.
Now see, that's an idea I could get behind. Gender-swap Link and Zelda so that it becomes the classic 'save the princess/rescue the realm' adventure tale, but the woman is the hero this time. Would be a nice change of pace from the usual trend.

But like I said above: "Linkle"? Just saying it makes me cringe, followed very shortly by a hearty laugh.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
There was a thread a while back about Linkle being concept art for something else. The name hasn't grown on anyone apparently.

I like the design and I can even accept the name, but they lost me at DUAL WIELDING CROSSBOWS. Do you even logic sis?

Why not 2 daggers? Is there already one of those in the game? How about a comically large cannon? Double Bola (bolo)?

Maybe the spinning top thing from Twilight Princess?

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Vigormortis said:
"Linkle"?

Would you have preferred "Linkette" ?

OT: Will Linkle have an alternative pinkle outfit?

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013

Linkle?

I agree with Vigotmortis, I'm struggling to think of a *less* stupid name for a supposedly cool character.

Aerosteam said:
Rule 34 if her is being created right now.
Implying that there isn't already enough genderbend Rule 34 artwork of Link to satisfy/terrify us all.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Neat. Don't suppose we can get her in her own game next? Because that would probably be enough to make me buy whatever Nintendo system it would be on.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
sky14kemea said:
Would you have preferred "Linkette" ?
Not particularly. While not sounding nearly as absurd as "Linkle", it does sound a bit too cliche.

Like I'd said in my other post, just swapping the L and E would sound better. "Linkle" sounds like a Doctor Seuss creature.

Admittedly, I suppose there aren't many ways to alter the name "Link", but "Linkle" just sounds so silly to me.

:/

If they have such an outfit in the game, and call it as much......I think I could put up with Linkle as a name.

---[edit]---

Hmm, what about Linkora? Sounds vaguely feminine, at least.

Egh, maybe not. Sounds a bit dumb too.

Sniper Team 4 said:
Neat. Don't suppose we can get her in her own game next?
One can only hope...

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Vigormortis said:
If they have such an outfit in the game, and call it as much......I think I could put up with Linkle as a name.
They should've named her special attack the "Spinkle" instead of spin kick.