Nintendo Announces Female Version of Link, 'Linkle,' for Hyrule Warriors Legends

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
mysecondlife said:
Vigormortis said:
"Linkle"?

Jesus christ, couldn't they have thought of a slightly less....stupid variant of Link? Linkle sounds like a cheesy joke, as if someone created the name to mock the very idea of a female Link.

Gads, they could just transpose the "l" and the "e" and the name would sound better than "Linkle".
My Thoughts. One more to add to the list of Nintendo's stupid name for its product.
Hey, the good news is that you REMEMBER the stupid names, that's half the battle of getting you to buy it!

ScaredIndie said:
I'm pretty happy they did this, I always though it would be interesting to change up Link and Zelda's genders. It is a story about reincarnation after all so it makes perfect sense. Not sure if I would get behind a gender swapped Gannon though because his lore is a little messier but even that could still work.
Eh...if it's going to be that simple, there's not a large amount of reason I'm seeing to do it. I'd prefer it to be similar to Zelda in Hyrule Total War, Link fails in one of the many dungeons and dies, so she takes up her own sword and continues where he left off because somebody has to do it and as one of the holders of one of the pieces of the Triforce, it's either her or Ganon, and he's never been that interested in helping when he's trying to get out of his prison again to take over the world. Maybe have some kind of flashback mechanic through the whole game(silent as usual) that builds the story up to that point and has this kind of farmboy to hero friendship told from her eyes.

Or just a new IP that just takes the basic narrative formula and give it a new set of mechanics.

Edit:

Maybe have the final boss be Link himself, except as one of the many theories about him if he ever falls to Dark Link.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
That is a terrible name.

I seriously cannot think of a worse name, hell, just even go with "Linkette."

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
It's not a female version of Link. It's an "original" character based on Link's design, but not femLink. And that's how it should be. Either make a new IP or add some secondary character with the traits you want. Don't change Link and Zelda.

ScaredIndie said:
I'm pretty happy they did this, I always though it would be interesting to change up Link and Zelda's genders. It is a story about reincarnation after all so it makes perfect sense. Not sure if I would get behind a gender swapped Gannon though because his lore is a little messier but even that could still work.
Swapping Zelda's gender is out of question. She isn't a reincarnation, she's a female descendant. If you played Skyward Sword, you should know that Zelda was once the goddess Hylia. She sacrifices her immortality to do things and get reborn as the first Zelda that had the powers. After that every other Zelda is just a descendant and only female descendants can use her goddess power.

Redryhno said:
Why is it when people talk about Zelda being the protagonist, it's always because Link failed?
Why not just make a game that's from Zelda's point of view? Do people actually believe that Zelda just sits safely all the time in her castle while Link battles his way to victory? No, she has her own battles. Instead of having Link fail the game could be about 2 different protagonists. Imagine Skyward Sword where instead of just playing as Link, you also played as Zelda as she and Impa went on their own adventure? Or OoT's future timeline Zelda/Shiek.
Link doesn't need to fail or be evil for Zelda to be the protagonist. In fact, Link can't fail and Zelda win on her own. She can only delay it until Link's soul gets reincarnated again into another body which might take a while like it happened between OoT and ALttP in the fail timeline.

lastcigarette

Mar 18, 2010
Linkle? I'm all for a variant female Link. Or better yet a new story & game with a female Link. That name is terrible. How about Channel, or Nexus, or Loop.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Yeah...taking Zelda's hairstyle makes this hard to distinguish from just Zelda with a coat on. Maybe they could have tried to unite the design a bit better? Add more of Link's design elements or something.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
1) The name is stupid
2) I like the character though
3) I love hyrule warriors, but I cannot think of a single gaming platform less suited to playing it on than the 3DS - phones don't count.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Another character to slaughter hundreds of enemies as? Oh hell yeah. I don't care if the name is terrible or whatever else, I just get another character.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
sky14kemea said:
Vigormortis said:
"Linkle"?

Jesus christ, couldn't they have thought of a slightly less....stupid variant of Link? Linkle sounds like a cheesy joke, as if someone created the name to mock the very idea of a female Link.
Would you have preferred "Linkette" ?

OT: Will Linkle have an alternative pinkle outfit?
Vigormortis said:
Admittedly, I suppose there aren't many ways to alter the name "Link", but "Linkle" just sounds so silly to me.

:/
Can't speak for anyone else, but I always kinda liked the sound of Lina, Lyn[footnote]Granted though, that might evoke Fire Emblem a bit too strongly[/footnote], and Linika.

More on point, I can't say that I'm terribly fond of the design. Dual crossbows notwithstanding, it just looks way too much like the elf in Dragon's Crown.

Oct 15, 2015
KoudelkaMorgan said:
There was a thread a while back about Linkle being concept art for something else. The name hasn't grown on anyone apparently.

I like the design and I can even accept the name, but they lost me at DUAL WIELDING CROSSBOWS. Do you even logic sis?

Why not 2 daggers? Is there already one of those in the game? How about a comically large cannon? Double Bola (bolo)?

Maybe the spinning top thing from Twilight Princess?
Link already uses the spinning top, and True Midna already uses a comically large cannon. Don't remember if theres a dagger user, or bolas.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Dango said:
That is a terrible name.

I seriously cannot think of a worse name, hell, just even go with "Linkette."
1. It wasn't Linkara. -----> 2. They fucked up.

Weaver said:
1) The name is stupid
2) I like the character though
3) I love hyrule warriors, but I cannot think of a single gaming platform less suited to playing it on than the 3DS - phones don't count.
:)

sky14kemea said:
Vigormortis said:
"Linkle"?

Would you have preferred "Linkette" ?

OT: Will Linkle have an alternative pinkle outfit?
"Linkette: the best a man can get."

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
Redryhno said:
Why is it when people talk about Zelda being the protagonist, it's always because Link failed?
Why not just make a game that's from Zelda's point of view? Do people actually believe that Zelda just sits safely all the time in her castle while Link battles his way to victory? No, she has her own battles. Instead of having Link fail the game could be about 2 different protagonists. Imagine Skyward Sword where instead of just playing as Link, you also played as Zelda as she and Impa went on their own adventure? Or OoT's future timeline Zelda/Shiek.
Link doesn't need to fail or be evil for Zelda to be the protagonist. In fact, Link can't fail and Zelda win on her own. She can only delay it until Link's soul gets reincarnated again into another body which might take a while like it happened between OoT and ALttP in the fail timeline.
Less that I don't think that she does her own shit, more that people want a Zelda game where a woman's the protag, and that's the compromise I'm personally willing to make that gives them that while also giving me the game I want made with Zelda as the protagonist. Because Zelda's a fucking genius in addition to be her own kind of badass and I'd like more of her moments of badass for people to shut up once and for all that she "doesn't ever do anything".

Also, I really can't remember enough about Skyward Sword to say yes or no. It was so unmemorable for me with the exception of the certainty that I don't want to play it again.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
sky14kemea said:
They should've named her special attack the "Spinkle" instead of spin kick.
Or give her an attack that sprays arrows across a large swath of the battlefield. They could call it "Sprinkle".

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Asita said:
Can't speak for anyone else, but I always kinda liked the sound of Lina, Lyn[footnote]Granted though, that might evoke Fire Emblem a bit too strongly[/footnote], and Linika.
Possible confusion with the association with Fire Emblem characters aside, those are all better names than Linkle. I even like the idea of Lina as the name.

Barbas said:
"Linkette: the best a man can get."
A creepy thought, since Linkle appears to be fairly young...

<.<

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Vigormortis said:

<.<
Whoops. Barbas does what Nintendooooooont.

EDIT: Ahhh, SHIT. Every time I post it makes it worse.

Disregard previous comment. Barbas is not a sex criminal.

That was nearly very bad.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Character looks like Link in drag.
That's the problem with gender-bending a character, you either end up with someone who looks like they're in drag or you have a character who may as well be a different character altogether in terms of design.

OT: entirely underwhelmed by this. Only up side is going to be the hilarious act people are going to play that this is somehow a big deal despite the fact there's literally nothing remarkable about it in any way, shape or form.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Barbas said:
Vigormortis said:

<.<
Whoops. Barbas does what Nintendooooooont.

EDIT: Ahhh, SHIT. Every time I post it makes it worse.

Disregard previous comment. Barbas is not a sex criminal.

That was nearly very bad.
No please. Do go on...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
...okay, I am about to burst many, many, MANY bubbles here, so here it goes: THIS IS NOT A FEMALE LINK. Period. This is a female character named Linkle. Yes, she is based on the idea of taking a girl and making her a Link look-alike. But she is not Link, she is her own character. There are in fact (and surprisingly) NO relations between her and Link at the moment beyond just looking like him and having a similar name. All we know is that she's a farm girl who's from a village that raises Cuccos. Cool your expectations people.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Looks awesome. Seriously every time I see stuff about Hyrule Warriors I honestly thought about getting a Wii U but since this is coming for 3DS I'm pretty happy but simultaneously...well...I've never found this type of game works amazingly well on handhelds (as as result of my experiences with Dynasty Warriors on the PSP and PSVita). Character looks good and honestly reminds me of some of my absolute favourite Dynasty Warriors characters.