Nintendo Announces Female Version of Link, 'Linkle,' for Hyrule Warriors Legends

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
erttheking said:
Why is that not how reality works? Seriously, even if this isn't the concept I mentioned, what's wrong with the concept I mentioned? Worked brilliantly for Persona 3 Portable.
Because it's simple logic: you can't have separate personalities and then claim they're the same character; it's inherently contradictory. And again, that's before we get into what I said before: Linkle is NOT a female Link, no matter how much people WANT her to be. She was never MEANT to be a female Link. Heck, she freaking TALKS, which is DEFINITELY not something Link does. At the end of the day, she's her own character, as shown by Nintendo and Koei. And that's for the best, considering how genderswapping is a horrendously LAZY idea.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Aiddon said:
erttheking said:
Why is that not how reality works? Seriously, even if this isn't the concept I mentioned, what's wrong with the concept I mentioned? Worked brilliantly for Persona 3 Portable.
Because it's simple logic: you can't have separate personalities and then claim they're the same character; it's inherently contradictory. And again, that's before we get into what I said before: Linkle is NOT a female Link, no matter how much people WANT her to be. She was never MEANT to be a female Link. Heck, she freaking TALKS, which is DEFINITELY not something Link does. At the end of the day, she's her own character, as shown by Nintendo and Koei. And that's for the best, considering how genderswapping is a horrendously LAZY idea.
Well whatever the hell you call what they did in Persona 3 Portable just do that. Male and female characters who both fall into the same role but with subtle differences between the two. Just do that and have the characters look kind of alike and everyone's happy.

Also I CAN make my words RANDOMLY all capitalized too, and IT does NOTHING to make my point come across BETTER!

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Heck I don't see her as a female Link at all since she's not wearing the iconic Hat and instead a hood and just because its green its not enough to make her "Girl Link"
Yeah, I agree. I'd have liked it better if it was the same or pretty much the same get-up

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
hazydawn said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Heck I don't see her as a female Link at all since she's not wearing the iconic Hat and instead a hood and just because its green its not enough to make her "Girl Link"
Yeah, I agree. I'd have liked it better if it was the same or pretty much the same get-up
Got to agree as well. Links clothing has always been rather gender neutral- I have seen some cosplay pictures of 'girl link' and they looked rather cool, so I'm not sure why a clothing (or for that matter choice of weapons/fighting style) needed a redesign.

Still I applaud Nintendo for the effort. Link always seemed like a obvious choice for a character with a select-able gender, being a androgynous blank-slate sort of character.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I can't help but think of Tinkle, based on the name alone.
And that name is a butchered spelling of a word which in my mother tongue means peeing.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
I think I like the version I saw last year better...

Still, not a bad design, has a cool archer look to her, if a bit rip-off of the elf of dragon's crown.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Didn't they specifically state that Linkle was her own character? The name isn't all that original, but from what I understand she isn't a Rule 63 Link.

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
erttheking said:
Seriously, why can't we get a Persona 3 Portable where you play as the same character regardless of gender, but the genders have distinct personalities.
That would only work if Link had a personality to speak of.

The name is pretty silly, bit I'd argue Cia, Wizzro and Volga aren't much more inspired. They just don't inadvertently sound like a childish slang for urination in English. From what little we know so far I'm guessing that she's a Link fangirl and chose the name to honor the Hero of Hyrule, but who knows at this point?

Cute character, though, and a ranged rapid-fire technique has the potential to be a lot of fun. I've put plenty of hours in on the Wii U version already, so here's hoping she's included on the console version in one way or another.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
Eh, I don't think I could take this all that seriously, I'm not at all impressed. I mean, I'm all for a female version of Link but this... is not the way to do it for me. If "Linkle" is a fangirl who was inspired by Link to become a hero then that's fine, I couldn't care less, but if this is a legit genderswap of the original then all I can say is this is kind of a poor attempt. The whole cute, perky, squeaky-voiced pre-teen girl motif is not where I equate with Link, Hero of Time.

I'm well aware that Link hasn't had a true personality (unless you count Windwaker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword, but "average female anime character" is not my preferred character trait.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
This "Linkel" looks more like another vaguely similar looking character than an actual female version of Link. If they were going to make a female version of Link they should've just had the same clothes and weapons as the male one but with breasts, long hair/ponytails, and maybe long eyelashes, enough that you can easily tell she's female but still looks like Link.

BTW, they should have just called her Link, it's not like that's a masculine name.

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
Despite Lizzy's somewhat misleading headline, there's nothing in either the Nintendo Direct or the original Japanese artbook designs to imply that Linkle is anything but a new character.

Let's be honest: "Female OC Donut Steel Who Kinda' Looks Like Link Joins Hyrule Warriors" isn't as much of an attention grabber, is it?

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Poetic Nova said:
And that name is a butchered spelling of a word which in my mother tongue means peeing.
Considering the game's probably going to be on the 'Wii', it fits.

I'm here all week folks! Tip your waitress. :)

Oinodaemon

Apr 9, 2009
I like this...except for the name. Linkle? I mean, I've never considered Link to be an inherently masculine name...Couldn't a female Link just be named...Link? It's like they might as well have just named her "Girl Link" and been done with it, the lazy sods.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
THM said:
Poetic Nova said:
Considering the game's probably going to be on the 'Wii', it fits.

I'm here all week folks! Tip your waitress. :)
Lmao.
Good one. Kudo's for making me laugh, and have a 'like' in spirit.