Nintendo Apologizes to Fat Kids

Squiggle

May 16, 2008
My roomate and I were just talking, I think feeding your fat children Mickey-D's should be child abuse.If you can't beat them, you can't make them fat as punishment either.

Frosk

Mar 12, 2008
Skrapt said:
I have been on the receiving end of name calling, that was a long time ago though and I was pretty resilient to it. Bullying, I can understand being upset/traumatized over, however this is a game, it can not formulate it's own opinion and it's calculations are based on the BMI which although an indication, isn't reliable in young people and is too generalized too offer any real hard information. SO people are getting offended over nothing, which I laughed at.
Exactly.

BMI is a really bad system for giving exact indications of your size.

I am overweight at the moment. During my yearly physical, my doctor said the recommended weight for some one my height is like 175 lbs. But, he told me that that weight isn't always the best for everyone. I'm working on losing weight, but I don't think I'll ever get to 175 lbs.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
It's funnier because it was unintentional, User. If it was actually trying to call people fat then I would still think it was funny, but I'd be a bit angry too. The game is just following a chart, it's not designed to do this. Unintended consequences can be very funny. Your example of racism doesn't work at all because it is both intentional and insulting something people can't do anything about, which means it's in bad taste. My example was pretty bad too by the looks of it, but my point stands. If you must waste energy being disgusted, you might as well aim it at something worthwhile instead of small-fry like us.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Not that I want to distract from the fatty-bashing, but is there really a museum dedicated to REMFs?

AnGeL.SLayer

Oct 8, 2007
The issue here is that children naturally believe anything that is said to them. They don't know the difference between it being 'just a game' and being the truth. Children wouldn't understand the point of view you are all coming from with this for example. It's not funny, it's not a joke. Yeah, you have learned to laugh about it but they can't even start to see the level on which it would begin to be funny. When you tell a child that they are 'fat' they react with becoming self-conscious on many different levels. The parents acted rightly on this. This is the same thing as how Hollywood sends the picture perfect image of how a female and a male should look. Everyone says anorexia is wrong and they don't understand how a person could come to this but they fail to look at the world around in which everyone lives. If a child is on the hefty side saying, "hey your a fat ass!" isn't the method in which it should be approached. It's the parents fault in the first place. Why should the child have to suffer on such an emotional level when they don't even understand what they have been doing to themselves.

^_^

May 7, 2008
Easykill said:
It's funnier because it was unintentional, User. If it was actually trying to call people fat then I would still think it was funny, but I'd be a bit angry too. The game is just following a chart, it's not designed to do this. Unintended consequences can be very funny. Your example of racism doesn't work at all because it is both intentional and insulting something people can't do anything about, which means it's in bad taste. My example was pretty bad too by the looks of it, but my point stands. If you must waste energy being disgusted, you might as well aim it at something worthwhile instead of small-fry like us.
Its a good point but flawed as it was small frys that used to insult me, as for the insulting people for something they can do something about rather than the example I gave, could you please explaing it to me as I cannot see the logic in that argument.

Nov 28, 2007
As someone who had to go to counseling twice because of verbal abuse, this is going way overboard on the parent's parts. So the game said your kid is overweight. Guess what? It's a computer. It is not staring at your kid, it's just making a calculation based on their weight and height.

Frosk

Mar 12, 2008
A Username Not In Use said:
Its a good point but flawed as it was small frys that used to insult me, as for the insulting people for something they can do something about rather than the example I gave, could you please explaing it to me as I cannot see the logic in that argument.
The best thing I could come with off the top of my head is this:

Say you get a pretty atrocious haircut and someone insults you about it. A haircut is something you can change, by either letting it grow out and getting it cut again or having it cut right away with a shorter style.

Weight is on the same type of path, it can be changed; through exercise, diet, and other means. Granted it takes longer than changing one's hairstyle, but it is possible.

May 7, 2008
Frosk said:
The best thing I could come with off the top of my head is this:

Say you get a pretty atrocious haircut and someone insults you about it. A haircut is something you can change, by either letting it grow out and getting it cut again or having it cut right away with a shorter style.

Weight is on the same type of path, it can be changed; through exercise, diet, and other means. Granted it takes longer than changing one's hairstyle, but it is possible.
Ture, but I still maintain that its unaccesptable, be it weight, race, religion, tastes or styles of haircut.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
User said:
I can't quite decipher the second part enough to be able to tell exactly what you're talking about, so for now I'll just respond to the first bit. That was what I was talking about, unless you can look past what affects you and see the bigger picture, your argument isn't really humanitarian, it's just a personal grudge.

May 7, 2008
Easykill said:
User said:
I can't quite decipher the second part enough to be able to tell exactly what you're talking about, so for now I'll just respond to the first bit. That was what I was talking about, unless you can look past what affects you and see the bigger picture, your argument isn't really humanitarian, it's just a personal grudge.
You may be right.

Feb 13, 2008
My BMI tells me I'm overweight; but I can still walk 15 miles in costume without dying; it also puts my Father as about average when you can actually see his skull.

Wormthong

Jan 4, 2008
marfoir(IRL) said:
Skrapt said:
I think it was wrong to laugh, but people really do complain and nitpick over every little thing now a days...
Dont worry, I laughed too.
Oh, and someone who is "devastated" from being called fat by a game is clearly insecure.
Insecure. You clearly are one of those little shits that dispences the insults but have never been on the reciving end. For eleven years at school I was insulted primerally for my weight which got worse as I would eat for comfort, which meant I got bigger and th insults became more frequent, not just from students, but some of my teachers and even total strangers in the street. I'm twenty six now and I am only just starting to come to terms which what I went through during that time, and thanks to coucilling sessions and some pill enduced happiness I have stopped comfort eating, and as a result my weight is dropping rapidly, but I am shocked at just how badly damaged I became emotionally, and physically, because of my "insecurity".

The problem is you people don't think about how much damage name calling can do to a person and the fact some of you found this funny fills me with discust.
is it wrong to calls someone insecure becouse he is i am 16 years old 1.72 meters and weigh over a hundered kilos people insult me daily about it and im not wheining on forums against other people now go eat some pie's to get rid of this remark

richasr

Dec 13, 2007
Those people are indeed fat, overweight, big, large, whatever you want to call it. You can't deny something that everyone can see and you can't hide it with political correctness.

Stupid people, what did they expect to be called? "Unfairly-Above-Average"? stupidity.