Nintendo Blocks Flash Carts With DSi Software Update

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
Battling piracy, yeah sure, a never ending battle that will never be settled. But it's war that makes progress right?

However, I dont see whats so bad with homebrew applications. Console developers are all about making their hardware as multiusable as possible. So why not let people mod it as long as they still buy official software legally?

EDIT:

I also agree with going with a steam sales model. I currently <3 steam for making things like xcom available AND PROVIDING AN EMULATOR WITH IT! No one else has done that before, thus enabling me to relive fun times in my childhood, albiet there are a few glitches like not being able to use alt or ctrl with the game (i can no longer use official cheat codes and have to use trainers:(

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
heavymedicombo said:
to put it simply, piracy is theft. Thieves should be punished. I don care how but they should. My dad runs a small data based company for gps maps that he wrote. if they were pirated the company would be crushed. luckily they arent and it isnt. it doesnt matter what it is. piracy is taking something you dont deserve. which is a crime.
To put it simply you are utterly and completely wrong. For an act to be considered theft you have to deprive someone of something they own. Piracy is copyright infringement which, if done without a profit motive, is a civil tort and not a criminal offense (in the US anyway).

To educate yourself take a look at this handy guide:

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I am sure, for a while its going to discourage, but...they will work aroubnd, they always do - But, its the same as Sony idea - the war of the hacks, so it seems

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Another battle against piracy... I see no end to it...
blakfayt said:
OT: yeah, this will take about, I'd say another day to crack, it's pointless to lock the door when the thief has a lock picking kit, and knows how to use it.
The above analogy makes it so... However, I have an idea for an anti-piracy system... Still writing design documents... :D

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
I have mixed feelings about piracy, but I never felt sorry for Nintendos latest consoles, why you ask? We live in a world where some shovelware garbage title can stay full priced over a genuinely well crafted and original game, it's misleading bullshit, as someone already mentioned people often buy the games for real anyway in the end. Can you honestly blame people doing it when you can fit 60+ games on 1 card? Saves a LOT of space before you even get into the money issue, if anything nintendo are a little old fashioned here and they should look into this more to make their own legit downloading system perhaps.

Also this:

blakfayt said:
Really though, this update will help until the beginning of next week at best, and pirates are a patient breed. I think it's pointless to keep trying to lock them out, they should be focused on the 3DS.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
blakfayt said:
z3rostr1fe said:
Another battle against piracy... I see no end to it...
blakfayt said:
OT: yeah, this will take about, I'd say another day to crack, it's pointless to lock the door when the thief has a lock picking kit, and knows how to use it.
The above analogy makes it so... However, I have an idea for an anti-piracy system... Still writing design documents... :D
Three weeks ago I came up with an idea that nintendo could use to support homebrew files (eliminating folks who want to use it for purely legal reasons) and would encourage people to pay for games again, basically I thought they should copy (not completely) the flashcart, then sell it as an official product of nintendo and do a digital download system using the internet, you pay for the games information (which is encoded with your own special code so that others can't use it, as you must make an account with the nintendo approved site) and you download it and it goes onto the device like a regular flashcart would. This would rule out the production costs for physical copies, allowing the game to be sold for less, and then nintendo keeps track of all you purchases so you can simply redownload them if you decide you are done, or for what ever reason needed, then it surpasses the physical copy, and circumvents used game sales. Plus with the new design of the DSTwo they could sell GBA games for really cheap and make money off old games and all they need is the information (which is all over the net in the form of torrents) I've also thought through every possible problem, most can be dealt with, some can't but that's life.
I do suggest that they do it the Valve way... O_O

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
Fighting piracy? That's a cause I can support, seeing as pirates are nothing more than common thieves who deserve to be sent to jail, even if they are just lazy bastards who don't want to pay for anything.

Fighting homebrew developers? That's crossing a line. Most people I have met, who work in the games industry, started off making homebrew games. If a person bought the console, and they're not stealing anything or doing anything else malicious, they have no reason to be punished.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
People who are trying to explain the benefits of piracy, don't bother. Most people here have already made up their minds about it.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
Motakikurushi said:
I've also noticed that a huge majority of homebrew users resort to hacking their Wii because it's so utterly boring and terrible they need to find some way of making it useful, and it provides a small incentive for their nintendo consoles to still exist.
I home-brewed my Wii for that very reason. All my Wii games are real, however I home-brewed my Wii so that I could Emulate Dos games (of which I actually paid for in the 90s, y'kno back when REAL gamers were playing games) and also SNES/Sega games.