Nintendo Boss Blames Boring Games For Industry Slump

TyroSe7en

Sep 7, 2009
Ya... I have been pretty bored with video games lately, feels like the same junk with a new texture pack over and over again.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
So... does this mean Nintendo is going to start making new franchises? No? Well then, nice for you to talk the talk, but until you walk the walk, I'm going to keep supporting new IPs instead.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
John Funk said:
Therumancer said:
Well I think the issue has been a combination of the economy, and raw greed on the part of the gaming industry which has become corperate and is setting increasingly high margins for what it considers to be a success.

"We are in a game slump, despite the industry making billions in profit".
The only one who says that is you.

SOME companies are doing well. Others are losing millions of dollars.

Actually I'm not, looking at the industry as a whole we're seeing reports of it having made like 50 billion dollars in 2009 and it being projected to double by 2011. Of course like any area of business your going to have some people who fail despite the entire market booming, that's simply how things are.

As far as other responses you've received go, it's very true that companies don't measure themselves as making a profit unless they have met a certain amount of progressive growth. Even in cases where companies are taking "operating losses" or however they want to term it, that in many cases might not be them not making a profit in any traditional sense. A lot of companies will borrow money against their projected growth, then if they fall short they will indeed lose money by having to pay off their loans without the profits they were banking on. Some companies in behaviors akin to "Enron" operate totally off of extended credit/loans conned from claims of profits and projections which they never had to begin with.

The bottom line though is that if a company loses money because it borrows money against growth it never achieved, that's bad management/gambling, not a sign that the industry is in any kind of trouble, or even that the company's products/strategy was bad. Simply that management got greedy and probably decided to pay themselves with money the company didn't have, so they borrowed it, wrote themselves the checks, and then figured they'd pay it back if their projections turned out to be accurate.

At any rate here are some articles on the subject to show that I'm not the only one talking about how much the games industry is making. Consider though that this is industry wide so a good part of the focus on this is on online games.

http://games.venturebeat.com/2010/05/25/video-game-industry-to-hit-70-billion-by-2015-but-growth-will-slow/

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8205

http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/006818.html

http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/01/16/2009-video-game-industry-revenue-breakdown/

This is just the tip of the iceburg if you want to look into it.

Now there are claims that the gaming industry made anywhere from 19 to 50 billion dollars depending on the source. Projections are by and large positive, ranging from the profits doubling next year, to the idea that they will double over the next FIVE years before finally slowing down. The bottom line is that this is a healthy, growth industry. Something that should be obvious given the amount of money producers are tossing into it. If the industry was losing money hand over fist you wouldn't be seeing very full release schedules with new games coming out every month for every platform, even those that are at the bottom of the competition.

The reason why we disagree John is that you tend to take a very pro-industry point of view and want to believe what they say. I on the other hand do not, and despite being a Republican tend to look at big businesses (and gaming has become big business) a lot more skeptically and pay attention to what is being said on all sides.

Really, the problem is that the games industry is operating like a Cartel as I always say. They are VERY careful not to reveal where the money is going, and keep their finances out of the public eye. Much like gas companies and the like have tried to do over the years. It more or less takes the federal goverment deciding an industry is worth the time and trouble to even begin to get to the bottom of some of these questions, and simply put the goverment has not decided the gaming industry is worth the trouble (yet).

It's sort of like our recurring arguement about how much in the industry get paid. You say you know people and they aren't making tons of money. I sit here and respond by asking you if that's true where all of this money that is left over after materials is going, since it's all about human resources at that point. I doubt you know, truthfully I doubt very many people could tell you that in it's entirety, which is the entire point.

Simply put gaming has become a big business, it operates like any other big business and has fallen prey to the same corruption. I do not believe that it is somehow magically remaining apart from what has happened to other industries at this level, and I respond accordingly when it comes to the business aspects of the industry.

Just because some game developer/company was once smaller and you felt you had some degree of camradarie with it, or know of the relatively humble origins of the creator of "Mario" does not mean that these people and businesses remained that way. Nintendo might not be a megacorp in the truest sense, but they are a big business and everything they do is carefully pre-meditated despite the attitude they try and sell. On a fundemental level they are just like drug companies, insurance companies, gas companies and other big businesses, and I think we should treat them with a similar amount of skepticism which is what I do.

Blame the modern world, but this isn't a criminal trial, and once your operating at that level I believe the safest attitude for consumers to take is "guilty until proven innocent". Assuming you aren't so rich that it doesn't matter what you spend of course.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Rect Pola said:
Mordwyl said:
Gormers1 said:
Eh yeah cause its always the new and innovative games that sells...
He said fun, actually.

Iwata has a point. The newest game I still play today is Team Fortress 2 because it's different in a good way.
Yeah, but being all three still doesn't mean good sales. How many people passed on Beyond Good and Evil? Gamers are a fickle lot who demand freshness, and yet crave consistency to the point we completely ignore what is new.
I agree totally..and yeah, its not like the president of nintendo could say the truth: that it's generally our fault, we the gamers. Every time somebody buys crap, that's a point for the shovelware team.

edit: god I've come to love that term, "shovelware"..."YOU'RE SHOVELWARE, YOU TURD!!!" hahahaha
(my next spoken line, sometime next thursday...)

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Edzor said:
What an idiot...

Yeah, because Wii games are totally fun, amirite gaiz?

I mean, what's *less boring* than playing tennis and boxing games with weird ass controls and crap graphics all day, that's totally fun, like, amirite gaiz?

*sigh...*
Fun fact: you only read the subject.

I mean, if Iwata speaks about the problem admitting this is also Nintendo's problem, that's the only logical conclusion we can come to.

But sure, I can list plenty of really fun Wii titles. Shovelware is a problem on the Wii, sure, but it has been a problem on every console that's been the market leader. The PS1 had about the same percentage of horrid, horrid crap out for it but that didn't make the good games shine less.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Wait, someone from Nintendo is bitching about the industry putting out non-interesting games that are just the same ole crap?

Am I being trolled? It sure feels like I'm being trolled.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
theshadavid said:
Nintendo is actually kind of the king of originality. Yes it reuses franchises but at least they made the franchises, and they keep them fresh. Plus, they were the first to commit to motion controls, and the first to do 3D without glasses XD
And the first to do VR. Yes, I say that Nintendo will be first to do VR. I base this conclusion on nothing and yet regard it as fact.

Splitter

Jul 10, 2008
I agree with him, generally I find most modern games just plain boring. Of course there are exceptions, as someone said above Blizzard and Valve buck the trend, but most modern games just can't hold my attention, I've actually taken to browsing Amazon and buying old PS2 games.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I could agree with that. I not many FUN games have come out this year.

THe most fun I've had with games this year have been:
Alan Wake
Monster Hunter Tri
Bioshock 2
Red Dead Redemption

Not a big list... But of all the games that have come out, these are the ones I've had the most fun with. The only game I continue to play now is Monster Hunter Tri. I've become bored of the others.

Chicaine

Jun 7, 2010
They can talk about fun games, nothing is more boring that being made to play Wii sports at your relatives house, a load of overpriced shovel-ware to use with a gimmick system

theshadavid

Nerrrrrrrd
Aug 10, 2009
Zeromaeus said:
theshadavid said:
Nintendo is actually kind of the king of originality. Yes it reuses franchises but at least they made the franchises, and they keep them fresh. Plus, they were the first to commit to motion controls, and the first to do 3D without glasses XD
And the first to do VR. Yes, I say that Nintendo will be first to do VR. I base this conclusion on nothing and yet regard it as fact.
*crosses fingers*

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Dear Mr. Iwata, I have only bought 3 games in 6 monthes for your precious Wii, 1 is a sequel to a game no one has heard of, and (I) can't stop raving on about. There's a problem with the blandness and uniquity of most of the crap that's made, namely, EVERYTHING AT E3 WAS A REMAKE. Only Disney has some originality, making Epic Mickey. Considering they are the ones who usually milk a cow until it's nipples rip off, this is saying something.

But anyways Mr. Wii Fit up there has a point with boring games, the PS3 doesn't exactly have many good, original games at the moment either though.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
NeedAUserName said:
Lemme get this straight, the owner of Nintendo, Nintendo is criticizing company's for unoriginality... I have to go and think some things through now....
True, but he also said Nintendo are making boring games. At least he's not just saying everyone else sucks ("This is not the problem of Nintendo alone").

Jun 7, 2010
I think it's quite funny to hear this coming from nintendo, the people who have been recycling zelda and mario since 1980something.

but i do agree that games are getting boring, where did the fun, inventive games like destroy all humans and Okami go eh? tell me, TELL ME DAMMIT!

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Andy Parisi said:
This is all too true. The problem is that these companies (like EA) are focused solely on quantity over quality.

Take after Blizzard and Valve--two companies that actually have standards for games they produce.
I think you'd better check the list for the latest games by EA, because I don't think you can call Mass Effect 2 quantity over quality.

HoverWhale

Apr 10, 2009
As usual, Nintendo are one step ahead. Microsoft and Sony move onto motion control, and Nintendo are all "yeah, we did that. What are we gonna do next?". Of course, there's still the problem that "new ideas" is something we've actually needed for a while, but I suppose it's better than if they just brought out some Wii add-on and called that their new masterpiece.

This is why Nintendo are better, people; they don't follow trends, they make them.