Nintendo Breaks Out the Giant Snakes for New Skyward Sword Trailer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo Breaks Out the Giant Snakes for New Skyward Sword Trailer

Move over Ganon, Zelda has other things to worry about in the latest Legend of Zelda adventure.

I f you've played more than one Legend of Zelda game, you'll know that having the name Zelda is like having a sign on your back saying "Evil Wizards, Please Kidnap Me." But in this new trailer for Skyward Sword, Zelda probably has slightly more pressing issues than villainous magicians, what with the enormous flying snake monsters trying to eat her and everything.

Skyward Sword is an early tale in the Zelda canon, perhaps even the earliest, as it comes before Ocarina of Time in the timeline. While the core concept of "Zelda gets in trouble, Link rescues her" is intact, Nintendo has mixed up the details of the story. Zelda isn't a princess, for example, and neither she, nor Link, is actually from Hyrule. Instead, they are childhood friends from the flying land of Skyloft, and they are unaware that there's anything under the clouds.

With its vibrant visuals, Skyward Sword has a very different feel to the last Zelda game on the Wii, Twilight Princess. It still looks suitably epic however, and it's really refreshing to see Nintendo doing something different with the traditional Legend of Zelda story.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword comes out for the Wii later this year.

Source: via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/312470/news/nintendo-releases-new-zelda-skyward-sword-trailer/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Huh, a cartoonish Zelda game that doesn't sacrifice actual mood and character in a misguided attempt to be "stylized"? This pleases me, I guess. I still prefer the Twilight Princess look for the wistful--fairytale-adventure vibe, but this beats that personality free cel-shading.

Craazhy

Tic-Tock and Crash
Aug 22, 2009
The graphics look a little off as far as quality goes, but perhaps I'm just too used to Xbox.

I'm really pleased in how much this game appears to be drawing from its Ocarina of Time roots and revisiting what made this series so great to begin with. Nintendo has finally made me anxiously anticipate something.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm certinly hype up from it although I thought "giant snake" in the title imply there was a snake as a boss, you certainly fool me!

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
hmmm actually looks really good. I'm excited...

Nintendo you have finally put out something I am excited for...

Daggedawg

Dec 8, 2010
Ah, Nintendo. Why waste time on innovation when rehashing nets you profit with minimum effort?

Honestly, though, it looks pretty good.

Pheonixe

Aug 23, 2010
Is it just me, or does something about both Link and Zelda's noses seem a bit off?

I dunno, it's like when the camera views them at a certain angle, their noses go all Pinocchio.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
Seventh Actuality said:
...but this beats that personality free cel-shading.
Wind Waker didn't have any personality? I thought the cel-shading (with its swirls and vibrant, colourful environments) gave it personality in generous scoops XD Maybe that's just me. I mean yes, it definitely had a different character to it than Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, but I wouldn't say it was lacking. I'm not looking for an argument, I just don't see where you're coming from, sorry :S

OT: Am I the only one who's face lit up when they saw "New Skyward Sword Trailer"? :D
It's good to see the Goron's are still kicking around, but I'm doubtful of the inclusion of Deku Scrubs. Guess we'll have to see :)

Still hoping for a release date sometime soon! :p

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
MisterM2402 said:
Seventh Actuality said:
...but this beats that personality free cel-shading.
Wind Waker didn't have any personality? I thought the cel-shading (with its swirls and vibrant, colourful environments) gave it personality in generous scoops XD Maybe that's just me. I mean yes, it definitely had a different character to it than Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, but I wouldn't say it was lacking. I'm not looking for an argument, I just don't see where you're coming from, sorry :S
Well, cel-shading (especially that sort) just always struck me as a cheap and shallow way to try injecting personality, trying to pass generic cutesiness off as charm and character.

I still maintain that Team Fortress 2 (quite a leap from Wind Waker there, I know :p) is the only game that I've played that is well-suited to a cel-shading art style, and that's because every single aspect of the tone and background lends itself to it. With Zelda, it just seems like they're taking the same Zelda games and tone and giving them a new art style that doesn't fit. It smacks of trying too hard to be quirky and stylized.

Still, a lot of people seem to disagree, so it's probably got as much to do with personal taste than any of that. Even if I don't like the style, it's good that the variety exists. Just so long as they keep putting out what I like too. ;)

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Pheonixe said:
Is it just me, or does something about both Link and Zelda's noses seem a bit off?

I dunno, it's like when the camera views them at a certain angle, their noses go all Pinocchio.
Well, in Ocarina of Time, their noses could take someones eyes out... especialy Gannondorf's.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Skyward Sword's Zelda has got to be the most adorable non-Fluttershy character I've seen this year. Her bangs and stare and smile are beyond cute and the last time I ever wanted to protect Zelda this badly was in Ocarina of Time, when I was 8 years old.

It's soooo tropey. You just know that Zelda has a thing for Link. Look at her looking at Link, in true "Japanese childhood friends" fashion.

I love that Skyloft has Majora-esque sidequests. Finally, they rediscover the best aspect of the best Zelda game.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
Zelda's seemingly permanant dreamy stare is creepy. Anyway, nice to see Nintendo changing the formula, even if it's only marginally.
...how has the formula changed?
Well, now you can't just sit in your chair and half-ass the swings. You need to get up, swing with full force, screaming: "hyah" as you break your TV. lol

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Am I the only one who noticed that Link looks like he's got fish lips now?

While I'm glad that Nintenod has found another nice balance between aesthetics and story, this one little quirk bugs me a bit...

Though I had no problems whatsoever with twilight princess...

Despite having enjoyed the story and gameplay of windwaker, I couldn't get over the cell-shaded art style. It feels like a bad area on this otherwise well-done series, and that's what I'm afraid of most about this game, that the art style will cause the game to become hopelessly silly (not that Windwaker was silly, the art style did NOT fit the story at all though)

Unorthodoxx

Jan 28, 2009
Yet another game to play, enjoy, and go back to hundred percent...Though I'm sure I'll need to beat a mini game that's obscenely unforgiving to do so. Majora's Mask shooting gallery still haunts me...I have to shoot all of them?! Does not compute!