Nintendo Breaks Out the Giant Snakes for New Skyward Sword Trailer

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
I didn't like Link in the opening minute but when he's got his green tunic on all looks well. Did he actually look different or am I just crazily associating green tunic with Link as he should be...

Anyway, looks kinda cool, graphics are like a mix of cel shading and the normal zelda look and the gameplay looks...well, like Zelda...really...

Might get it if it gets favourable reviews, I like the sound of it definitely.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
SO glad they fixed the animation so that Link doesn't look quite as much like he's trying to hold his sword as far away from himself as possible. And like his arm is being possessed.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Well, it's got Gorons, which is good enough for me. Dunno why, but I just like Gorons. I'll be getting it at least, even just for the slim chance of having a battle against that big-ass snake thing.

Jun 7, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
Zelda's seemingly permanant dreamy stare is creepy. Anyway, nice to see Nintendo changing the formula, even if it's only marginally.
...how has the formula changed?
Different visual style and having Link and Zelda be from Skyloft instead of same old hyrule. But again, marginal changes.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
The trailer was cool and everything, and I like the premise of it, but just what the hell is wrong with Link's nose?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Skyward Sword is indeed the first game in the Zelda story timeline.
You can know that since it will explain the creation of the Master Sword.

The trailer is nice, but most of it was seen in the older trailers.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
How about a game in which Link gets kidnapped and Zelda has to go out and save him?

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Not to spoil anything,

but the gameplay demos at E3 reveal that the giant monster that eats Zelda actually rescues her. Ghirahim (The white guy with the sword at the end) tried to kidnap her by knocking her off her bird with a tornado. The monster (referred to as "Servant of the Goddess") rescues her so she doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Skyward Sword is an early tale in the Zelda canon, perhaps even the earliest, as it comes before Ocarina of Time in the timeline. While the core concept of "Zelda gets in trouble, Link rescues her" is intact, Nintendo has mixed up the details of the story. Zelda isn't a princess, for example, and neither she, nor Link, is actually from Hyrule. Instead, they are childhood friends from the flying land of Skyloft, and they are unaware that there's anything under the clouds.
Now THAT seems like an interesting concept. I assume Hyrule was still created by Din, Nayru and Farore, however? Cause that would kinda suck if they retconned that, as it was in OoT and the instruction book for ALttP.

Though I am slightly bemused that while they aren't in Hyrule, Link is carrying the Hylian Shield.

Monoochrom said:
Hagi said:
How about a game in which Link gets kidnapped and Zelda has to go out and save him?
CDi...*shudder*
OI! We don't mention those. They never happened! NEVER, DO YOU HEAR ME!?!

Overmind78 said:
WHY IS HE A RIGHTY??
Yeah, I'm pissed about that too. I wish they would include an option to play left-handed. More than likely, though, they're going to pull the ambidexterous defense.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Monoochrom said:
Hagi said:
CDi...*shudder*
Sorry, my bad.

I meant:
How about a good game in which Link gets kidnapped and Zelda has to go out and save him?

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Zelda's seemingly permanant dreamy stare is creepy. Anyway, nice to see Nintendo changing the formula, even if it's only marginally.
...how has the formula changed?
Different visual style and having Link and Zelda be from Skyloft instead of same old hyrule. But again, marginal changes.
Wow. Nintendo sure is a bastion of risk-taking, genre busting innovations hu?
Zelda sorely, so sorely requires it, too. I mean, it's copying off so many games as it is like...er...and...

This game's gonna have MM-styled sidequests that tie into the plot, the setting's theme is a "school drama," Zelda and Link are childhood friends, there's no Master Sword (at the beginning,) the bad guy they showcase is Seymour-level creepy, your hub is a floating fucking island, the art style is soft-cel-shaded but not all the way super deformed, no Ganon to speak of (so far...)

Just what DO people want when they say "Zelda needs to innovate?"

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Skyward Sword is an early tale in the Zelda canon, perhaps even the earliest, as it comes before Ocarina of Time in the timeline.
I think Minish Cap has been stated as being the very first in the timeline (and if you play it, it definitely makes sense)

Probably won't buy it, but it definitely looks interesting

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
Overmind78 said:
WHY IS HE A RIGHTY??
Same reason he's a righty in Twilight Princess, the controller is right handed and it's supposed to use 1 to 1 motion this time around.

I'm getting a really strong TF2 vibe from this game as far as the aesthetics go. Also, I hope it's not another Ocarina of Time remake like Twilight Princess was.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
AyreonMaiden said:
Just what DO people want when they say "Zelda needs to innovate?"

I think some of them don't look at anything other than the core mechanics. Sometimes, it's easy to look at a long-running franchise and think they all look the same.