Nintendo Bullies Fan Sites Over Pokemon B&W Pics

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Going to echo pretty much everyone here with a great big "WTF Nintendo?" Seems like the worst move they could've made.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
Wait, Nintendo being overzealous and issuing legal threats over something seemingly meaningless? Wow, this is new, this has only been happening for the past... 25 years?

Seriously, Nintendo's legal team is famously hardcore and will sue anyone who looks at them funny, so this should surprise no-one.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
This is just fucking sad. You'd think Nintendo would try to preserve their own integrity and admit, "Hey, we had a leak." like what Valve did when the Meet the Spy video was leaked, but seriously? This is retarded. Bottom line is you have absolutely no right to treat your fan-base like this because your fan-base is what makes up almost a majority of the people who buy and play your games.

I don't care what gets leaked or not. This is the internet. Shit gets by fast and stays here permanently. The developers should either A: Release it faster. B: Have tighter security on their content and what they want to show/keep secret. C: Grow some stones and find out who leaked it in the first place.

Oh right. The game's already been released. Well, in Japan.

Lt.Snuffles

Apr 12, 2010
I think this is probably fake, Nintendo have many reasons to allow them to have pictures, and no reasons to get this pissed about free publicity, and they know this. Prehaps someone contacted him pretending to be Nintendo, or something.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
In this situation I don't think Nintendo is trying to be evil.
from what I have read Pokemon Black and White are suppose to be a sort of re-birth of the Pokemon franchise, and Nintendo wants it to be a surprising experience like it was back in the days of Red,Blue,Green and Yellow. They doing a really good job at keeping its details somewhat secret they have Region locking on the DSi to prevent importer from getting it, they made it almost un-patchable so it can't be pirated(at least I'm told) and now removing spoiler images off American websites. All this is working to try and re-create some of the magic from the first games. Are they going about it in a wrong way? Yes, but I understand why. Pokemon as a series lately has only retread the same ground that was all ready covered pre-Gold/Silver era which was arguably the late time the series made any real innovation, and people have noticed. This is Nintendo effort to shake things up.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
arc1991 said:
I was upset when i went onto Serebii and couldn't see any pictures, not even Pokemon...What's so bloody different this time! =( seriously Nintendo. Grow. Up.
You may want to change your avatar. Pikachu(tm) is owned by Nintendo and is subject to the terms and conditions of the International Copyright Act. Refusal to do so will resort in your escapist account being closed and your assets seized while potential damages are assessed by a Federal Court of Law.

OT: I'm finding it harder and harder to find a company that isn't going out of its way to fuck its consumer base. Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, Square-Enix, Sony, Nintendo, I don't play EA games but I suspect they're no better than Ubisoft. Is Microsoft the only company left that actually gives a damn whether their consumers are happy with them or not?

Lt. Dragunov

Sep 25, 2008
LOL ohhhhhh nintendo, if only the whole world could see how big your internet cocks were right now.

Jun 7, 2010
"substantial damage"..."SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE"??? It's free publicity. I fail to see why nintendo should be pissed about this.

I find it funny how nintendo markets the wii as super happy-fun for the family while they do shit like this and kill fanprojects for the lulz.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
lol. you people seem to have the wrong idea. The whole point of pokemon is to go out on adventure and learn about all of the mysterious little monsters you encounter. If you already know everything about all of the little monsters, then all that is left is the battles. Knowing about the pokemon early is not in the spirit of pokemon. If you think pokemon is just the battles then you're not a true pokefan. pokefans want to go on that adventure. We want to learn about all of the different types of pokemon out there as we are on that journey. Not have an updated database on the internet.

and many of you think "free publicity" is letting people have the option of watching a whole movie online, and if they like it they'll go buy it. That's not publicity. That's piracy.

If they had just stuck to the advertisements that Nintendo had allowed there would be no problem. Nintendo put that out to be PUBLISHED. that was fair game for everyone. If these site begin to publish information without the consent of Nintendo THEY ARE BREAKING COPYRIGHT!!!

why do you people feel that breaking the law is okay?

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"We hope that all English-speakers will remove images of Black and White from their websites, forums, blogs, YouTubes, Facebooks, instant messages, e-mails, homes, and minds since under law Nintendo has the right to declare any media they want, on any website they want, illegal and out of the domain of fair use,"
Like that's fucking possible. The selection of Pokemons I saw from the new White/Black games scarred me for life. Can't unsee something like that.

Surprising to see Nintendo be such dicks about this. Strange, almost like Sony restricting their own PSP sales abroad. Another reason never to buy a Pokemon product again.

Also:

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
ANImaniac89 said:
In this situation I don't think Nintendo is trying to be evil.
from what I have read Pokemon Black and White are suppose to be a sort of re-birth of the Pokemon franchise, and Nintendo wants it to be a surprising experience like it was back in the days of Red,Blue,Green and Yellow. They doing a really good job at keeping its details somewhat secret they have Region locking on the DSi to prevent importer from getting it, they made it almost un-patchable so it can't be pirated(at least I'm told) and now removing spoiler images off American websites. All this is working to try and re-create some of the magic from the first games. Are they going about it in a wrong way? Yes, but I understand why. Pokemon as a series lately has only retread the same ground that was all ready covered pre-Gold/Silver era which was arguably the late time the series made any real innovation, and people have noticed. This is Nintendo effort to shake things up.
Not telling us what the new pokemon are isn't going to make this one less exactly the same as all the others.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Im calling "Fake!" on this. Fair enough if the images had been leaked before the game had been released (in which case theres the whole, "These images may not represent final product" issue) but the game is out and in the public.

If the owner of "Pokebeach" had replied that as well, and renamed his site to Pokerbeach, then he is no better - just because a company asks you to remove media from your site doesnt mean you have to start getting all butt-hurt over it. Every right to be angry and voice your opinion but acting like a big kid is just silly and - oh wait, sorry guys, I forgot this was the internet.... :(

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
orangeapples said:
snip

The game is out... This is like someone capturing a screen to post in a review. I'm pretty sure its allowed.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
SnipErlite said:
Besides, shouldn't you be happy your fans are so enthusiastic?
No! We must be happy when Nintendo wants us to be happy! End of story!

OT: Seems a little excessive Nintendo. This isn't giving you the best image to your fans. It is free advertising and screenshots aren't exactly going to hamper your sales.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
careful escapist, you have pics of pokemon on your site, better remove them fast :p

edit: I want to see a ZP episode about this where all traces of the word pokemon are censored and all images with censor boxes :p

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Hold on a minute!? If they are going to release a game in one country half a year before the rest of the world, of course there are going to be images of the pokemon on the internet!! Are they stupid! Why don't they just wait to release it a bit later. And why is it so long before the worldwide release, I assumed that all they would have to do is change the language, and then it would be done!

Stupid, stupid Nintendo...

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
sneakypenguin said:
orangeapples said:
snip

The game is out... This is like someone capturing a screen to post in a review. I'm pretty sure its allowed.
But it isn't a review. If it had been a review, then it would have been fair use. but it isn't.

again, if a movie is released and it is put on the internet. it is illegal.

and yes the game is out, but not to the world. It is in a particular region. at the time that information is only available FOR THAT REGION!!!

Again, they were breaking copyright. why is that so hard to understand?

The EULA of games today pretty much say that it is against the terms for anyone to share the information (data) of the game without the consent of the makers. When they published that information they are breaking the copyright.

when you buy a game, you do not buy the game. You do not own the information in the game. you buy a licence to use the game. When you buy that licence, there are rules that come with it.

these people are breaking the rules.