Nintendo Can Disable a Pirate's 3DS Remotely

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Salmaras said:
Enkidu88 said:
vrbtny said:
Pirates are gonna get Owned.
More likely they'll just crack whatever security firmware their using, and they'll continue to pirate anyway. Legitimate customers will be the ones having to deal with the inevitable false positives that will undoubtedly appear, and any other problem inherent in to overly intrusive DRM. Also the legitimate customers will be having to fork over the legal fees when they sue Nintendo for vandalizing their product (Read: breaking it).

So really the only ones getting owned will be Nintendo's customers and Nintendo itself when it finally gets hit with a class-action suit.
To be fair to Nintendo, this particular Brand of DRM doesn't really impact the customers, only the pirates. No one likes DRM, but at least it's not all that intrusive as others.
You mean aside from the fact that your system is using limited battery power to keep wireless running and (presumably) send data at regular intervals unprompted by the user? As I said in another thread, pirates will have longer battery life than you. Thanks, Nintendo.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well there was a thread about this just moments ago... eh what the heck, I'll repeat myself:

Police state much?
I see alot of people enjoy the thought of that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
vrbtny said:
All the overbearing, completely OTT control freak/anti-piracy thing aside..... can I say?

Until they figure out a way around it. In about a week.

Denamic said:
Isn't that kind of illegal in some countries?
Like, more so than piracy?
Nintendo cares not for law! They care only about protecting their content. At all costs!

Salmaras said:
It does seem a little bit overkill but at least they're being frank, anyone who does it anyway and complains when their console stops working kind of had it coming
And anyone who doesn't do it and finds their console doesn't work?

Salmaras said:
To be fair to Nintendo, this particular Brand of DRM doesn't really impact the customers, only the pirates. No one likes DRM, but at least it's not all that intrusive as others.
They claimed that about dozens of types of DRM, including Sony's CD copy protection that crashed computers.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Didn't Apple have a <url=http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple.html>similar system for jailbroken iPhones? Wow, they're not just competing with Apple into the casual market (considering Nintendo doesn't consider the PS3 or XBox 360 to be competition any more), they're competing with them in the douchbaggery security as well...

Come to think of it, compared to how MS deals with piracy, Nintendo, Sony and Apple appear positively fascist...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mr.K. said:
Well there was a thread about this just moments ago... eh what the heck, I'll repeat myself:

Police state much?
I see alot of people enjoy the thought of that.
Not so much they enjoy it as they hate pirates so much they're happy any time someone "sticks it" to them....At any cost.

Police State is a bit much. I think the point stands, though.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
i'm starting to like the 3ds less and less. with region lock, and now if you try to play pirated games, like maybe to get around the region lock (after actually buying the import game first of course) they can fully disable your 3ds? doesn't that go against the fact that you paid for the freaking thing and they can brick it whenever they want? I like the n64 remakes coming out for this, but all of these restrictions that make it sound like nintendo is against people doing what they want on their system, when they freaking paid for it. Sorry nintendo. we might be done.

edit: and what if someone's 3ds gets wrongfully disabled (because you know it will happen eventually). Are we supposed to go to nintendo headquarters and throw the now bricked 3ds in their face and ask for a refund? They probably won't give one.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, I don't thing any company would seriously engage in this. At the risk of losing legal users on top of that. People who are not guilty of any piracy are affected by DRM and system bans all the time. The shit part is, out of everyone, pirates will be the least affected by such a thing.

vrbtny said:
All the overbearing, completely OTT control freak/anti-piracy thing aside..... can I say?

I don't think this is true. Pirates won't get owned because it's a simple numbers game. Nintendo will have a team of people trying to create an evolving anti piracy environment, and there will be hundreds of people working to overcome it, in turn. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of piracy, it's just naive to think that some new security is going to come along and make pirate life hard. The most successful anti-piracy was Sony PS3. As soon as that got out, it opened the flood gates. Now they are suing "hackers" and what not, and if it's anything like jail breaking the iPhone, it won't stop, and the law may even be on their side. If you recall, the judge determined that they were not doing anything illegal by unlocking the system capabilities. The CFW created by Geohotz, for example, doesn't enable piracy.

Salmaras said:
It does seem a little bit overkill but at least they're being frank, anyone who does it anyway and complains when their console stops working kind of had it coming
I agree, they completely had it coming. But what about the folks affected by it that will not be guilty? The thing is, when you go and break a systems security, there is an understanding that you may lose your system. I know, I lost a PSP this way one time. I have a legit one now, but I was poor and interested in trying it to see how it worked. I bought another one shortly after that one got bricked. Later on I successfully "hacked" it. But, it wasn't worth the trouble and I had improved my money situation, so I made it legit. If your interested in downloading games for free, then you will find a way, and your more than likely ok with the risk. The reward vastly out weighs the risk I think. I am an honest guy, so the risk wasn't worth it for me, so I stopped.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
There aren't too many things that make me "glad" to be European, but the data protections laws certainly do.
Too bad, Nintendo.

Salmaras

Sep 5, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
Salmaras said:
Enkidu88 said:
vrbtny said:
More likely they'll just crack whatever security firmware their using, and they'll continue to pirate anyway. Legitimate customers will be the ones having to deal with the inevitable false positives that will undoubtedly appear, and any other problem inherent in to overly intrusive DRM. Also the legitimate customers will be having to fork over the legal fees when they sue Nintendo for vandalizing their product (Read: breaking it).

So really the only ones getting owned will be Nintendo's customers and Nintendo itself when it finally gets hit with a class-action suit.
You mean aside from the fact that your system is using limited battery power to keep wireless running and (presumably) send data at regular intervals unprompted by the user? As I said in another thread, pirates will have longer battery life than you. Thanks, Nintendo.
The Battery life for the 3DS would actually work fine with the wireless on and the 3D off, if it's that much of a sorespot. (And no one start saying "But why would i turn the 3D when it's the main gimmick?"... Well, you'd turn it off because from that tone of arguement you probably don't care.) The DSi had a long battery life if the wireless was off but it was only around 4-5 hours with it on. Comparing the 3DS to that is a major improvement.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Didn't Apple have a <url=http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple.html>similar system for jailbroken iPhones? Wow, they're not just competing with Apple into the casual market (considering Nintendo doesn't consider the PS3 or XBox 360 to be competition any more), they're competing with them in the douchbaggery security as well...

Come to think of it, compared to how MS deals with piracy, Nintendo, Sony and Apple appear positively fascist...
I'm pretty sure if Microsoft could pull off the "always on" thing they would.

naab

Jun 4, 2009
Honestly I respect their decision, why? Because they're being straight up, 100% forward about it. Unlike Sony which is trying to pull some crap because of one hacker.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Asuka Soryu said:
vrbtny said:

Careful, they might take that as a challenge and then one day will hear some hackers bragging they finally broke it as Nintendo goes nuts.
For some reason, I interpreted "they" as "Anonymous". I dunno why I thought that, but I could picture in my mind someone from Anon cracking the 3DS and going "Nyah nyah nyah nyah! Take your intrusiveness as stick it in your (insert orifice here)."

OT: You watch, though. If this is the case with the 3DS, another "Geohot" will do something to the device "illegally" (disable the wi-fi, etc.) and post how to do it somewhere on the internet, then people will view it and Nintendo will go the path of Sony.

Mark. My. Words.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Salmaras said:
Enkidu88 said:
vrbtny said:

What makes you think this will only affect the pirates? By definition, this is some of the most intrusive security ever potentially offered up by a company. It records everything you do with the system and is even capable of tracking where you have been. Then they decide if you have done something elicit with the system and decide whether you are allowed to play it or not. The people who get rid of these intrusive measures are going to be pirates.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:

Actually no. If you try to update and have it jailbroken, it just resets your phone to un-jailbroken status and deletes any apps that are not official.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Salmaras said:
The Battery life for the 3DS would actually work fine with the wireless on and the 3D off, if it's that much of a sorespot. (And no one start saying "But why would i turn the 3D when it's the main gimmick?"... Well, you'd turn it off because from that tone of arguement you probably don't care.) The DSi had a long battery life if the wireless was off but it was only around 4-5 hours with it on. Comparing the 3DS to that is a major improvement.
So not only is the battery life better for pirates, but the solution is to drop one of the big features that makes the 3DS special.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Okay, I'm totally fine with banning people from XBL/PSN/whatever online service you have if their console is modded. That's your service, and you can run it how you like. It is totally not okay to fucking brick their machine if they jailbreak it. This cannot be legal. I foresee class action lawsuits ahead, and I sure as hell won't be buying a 3DS any time soon.

Salmaras

Sep 5, 2009
Baresark said:
Salmaras said:
Enkidu88 said:
vrbtny said:

What makes you think this will only affect the pirates? By definition, this is some of the most intrusive security ever potentially offered up by a company. It records everything you do with the system and is even capable of tracking where you have been. Then they decide if you have done something elicit with the system and decide whether you are allowed to play it or not. The people who get rid of these intrusive measures are going to be pirates.
True, however the only real way it can tell you've been doing something they would class under pirating, is basically by pirating or doing they've specifically announced not to do with the thing. It's a simple enough preocedure, if they see you've used something like an R4 cartridge, next time it's hooked up to the internet that information will become known and the thing will be disabled, and rightly so.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I made a few posts without leaving anything on the topic itself, this is such a hot button topic for me. It was rather stupid of me, and since I wouldn't want to not have an official stance on this...

OT: Nintendo has always stood out as a more responsible hardware developer. I think this article is merely idle speculation, and meant to hit on that, oh so hot topic, piracy. The idea that they would do something that could ward off potential customers seems short sighted. They are of course going to try and stop it. But they will not be tracking you or downloading data from you, or be shutting off anyone system. They have in the past done some security that has always been cracked with a little time. I doubt they would turn into big brother over this.

I guess I should say, I doubt they will do what this article purports they will do.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I guess that when I idly suggested that Nintendo were shooting themselves in the foot with the 3DS, I was more right than I ever could have imagined. Poor battery life, wi-fi that you can't turn off (or at least, I assume that's what 'always on' means), and ultra-crazy DRM. Why on earth would anyone want to buy a 3DS?