Nintendo Can Disable a Pirate's 3DS Remotely

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Holy... Shit... Seriously Ninty?.
Banning the console from the net is one thing, but banning the console to function at all seems pretty extreme IMO.

Now I'm a bit less inclined to get a 3DS, not that I was thinking to pirate the system, but it may get worse than Sony with the PS3.
And it may get even more lawsuits than Sony(!).

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
donno, sounds little OVERDONE, remember what happened to N64? (though some would argue that Nintendo best came out of that era...) I'd say, why suspect? why not do the opposite what Sony have done? To surprise everyone, where sony would seemed like the bad guy, and Nintendo would be the trusty/friendly guy this time around... and see sony's new machine fall, not because they don't have "anti-pirate" devices, but purely being a power hog/control freak. Nentendo on the other hand, would sell all the machines (though not all the games, but look on the bright side, they would dominate the hand held game market, even over I-touch, because all other hand held game devices treats their costumers like suspects, and only the "good old Nintendo" would treat their customers like "friend".

I don't get Nintendo, aren't they like... hella rich? why go extreme stingy now?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Higher walls doesn't stop piracy. It just demands the use of a catapult. How many times do I have to say it? You can only stop these things by making the act not worth the trouble. Your pirates will, in fact, enjoy the challenge and the thrill of beating out a company. And people will love watching them do it.

As for me, I HAD been kind of interested in a 3DS. Dunno about it now. I don't wanna be one of the guys who does nothing wrong and gets shut down anyway.

EDIT: Actually, a funny thought just came to mind. We're reading this wrong. The headline isn't "Nintendo Can Disable a Pirate's 3DS Remotely". It's...

[HEADING=2]"NINTENDO SELLS FAULTY PRODUCT!"[/HEADING]

This'll flop faster than the Virtual Boy.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
This is coming from someone who still regards the practice of pirating console titles as some kind of weird technophilic alchemy: but good lord, is this a dick move on Nintendo's part, and I'd question the legality. That'd be like Toyota putting measures into place to permanently disable your car if you ever exceeded the speed limit, texted while driving, or even just hauled a body for somebody.

Count-down to the emergence of the 3DS's version of Geohot begins.......NOW!

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
This terrifies me and for reasons that have nothing to do with piracy.
If I buy a component it is mine to do with as I please. If I use it in a way the original manufacturer does not approve of they should not have the right to 'brick' it.

What's next? A computer that freezes and dies if you post an unfavourable about the creator?
Fees to play on the hardware you brought?
This should be challenged in court as the basic threat to consumers rights that it is.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Welcome to the post piracy handheld age.

by which I do not mean, that piracy will stop but your handheld will be bogged down with antipiracy features

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
i was going to get one by trading in my old ds but im not risking that nintendo will detect it by accident, congratz nintendo, how many lost sales will there be after this?

Hardcore_gamer said:
Kalezian said:
It makes me want to cry, and then give my money to a different developer that treats their customers like customers, and not like suspected terrorists.
Its almost like people are just bitching for no reason, just for the sake of bitching.

I honestly don't think it would matter if Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft came up with a perfectly fair anti-piracy policy, people would still ***** about how they are being "treated like criminals" and how evil these companies are.

It doesn't matter how much it might suck to have your 3DS rendered useless if you pirate games on it, it won't stop to work so long as you just don't pirate. False positives are really, really rare Vs the amount of consumers that suffer from no problems, so that's just a bullshit excuse to dish the system.

Salmaras said:
Enkidu88 said:
vrbtny said:
Pirates are gonna get Owned.
More likely they'll just crack whatever security firmware their using, and they'll continue to pirate anyway. Legitimate customers will be the ones having to deal with the inevitable false positives that will undoubtedly appear, and any other problem inherent in to overly intrusive DRM. Also the legitimate customers will be having to fork over the legal fees when they sue Nintendo for vandalizing their product (Read: breaking it).

So really the only ones getting owned will be Nintendo's customers and Nintendo itself when it finally gets hit with a class-action suit.
To be fair to Nintendo, this particular Brand of DRM doesn't really impact the customers, only the pirates. No one likes DRM, but at least it's not all that intrusive as others.
Exactly, people are just bitching either because they were in fact planning on either hacking the system or using a R4 card, or simply because the enjoy bitching.

Just buy the 3DS legally, buy the games legally, and overwhelming odds are people will be just fine.
uh huh, you also realize the impact of a constant wifi connection will have on the system and battery, not to mention the constant searching whenever you go for a walk.

nobody will be "just fine" with this, nintendo will be evil overloards, "praise them or they might ban your... i mean smite you"

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
bahumat42 said:
Ellen of Kitten said:
This feels like it is connected in some way to the Sony vs Geohot case. Geo suggests that what he does with his device is his own business. He also suggests removing features post release is slimy. Here we have a 3DS, which feels like it's on loan, or has a "do not void the service agreement... or else" sticker tagged onto it.

In this sense, I agree with Geohot. My device; I can fiddle with it how I please. Ignoring the creepy big-brother-always-on Saurons Eye function of the device, shutting down a devices function because it didn't like something you did is shady to say the least.
thats not how it works with anything really though.
You put neons on your car. You get brought down.
You have obvious virus distribution (or massive filshare operations running) than you get shut down.

The only difference is that the games companies (the people who are in a better position to combat it, are the ones hunting people down rather than the police.
That's kind of what the case is going to help solidify; ownership, and ownership rights of a product.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
Vibhor said:
This line is the only reason I replied.
Think some more before posting next time (By some I most certainly mean A LOT)

Yeah you should probably think also. There are those that sell pirated games to others. That is a bigger lose to a company then some people not buying 3DS vs those that buy the games.

How many of those will buy game instead of pirated version because of this or will not buy entirely?

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
jp201 said:
Yeah you should probably think also. There are those that sell pirated games to others. That is a bigger lose to a company then some people not buying 3DS vs those that buy the games.

How many of those will buy game instead of pirated version because of this or will not buy entirely?
No pirate buys the game.
Everyone just downloads it free, you can even see torrents for the DS games too.
And the problem you suggested was already explained in my previous post.
Give it a good read sometime.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
all of a sudden, i really want to hack this. how long do you think it'll be till hackers make a workaround? 2 months?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Because this has worked well for the Sony pirates, right?

Oh, and it's utterly impossible to avoid Wi-Fi in this day and age, too.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
OT: You watch, though. If this is the case with the 3DS, another "Geohot" will do something to the device "illegally" (disable the wi-fi, etc.) and post how to do it somewhere on the internet, then people will view it and Nintendo will go the path of Sony.

Mark. My. Words.
I reckon it'll be cracked and running Linux inside of a year.

Maybe we should set up a prize for the first person to make an open-source operating system and BIOS for the device which can still run commercial games?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Roxor said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
OT: You watch, though. If this is the case with the 3DS, another "Geohot" will do something to the device "illegally" (disable the wi-fi, etc.) and post how to do it somewhere on the internet, then people will view it and Nintendo will go the path of Sony.

Mark. My. Words.

Maybe we should set up a prize for the first person to make an open-source operating system and BIOS for the device which can still run commercial games?
I'm up for the idea of prizes for people who do that, but a bigger question looms: What do you GIVE these people? I'm at a complete loss here, unfortunately.

Oddly enough, your post reminded me of the Claptrap Revolution DLC for Borderlands, as me and my brother did that last night. "All for open source, and open source for all!"

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Roxor said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:

Mark. My. Words.

I'm up for the idea of prizes for people who do that, but a bigger question looms: What do you GIVE these people? I'm at a complete loss here, unfortunately.

Oddly enough, your post reminded me of the Claptrap Revolution DLC for Borderlands, as me and my brother did that last night. "All for open source, and open source for all!"
Good question. I suppose assembling a prize of money from donations from people who'd like to see the result would be one thing to do, but I think the people doing stuff like making open-source operating systems really do it because Good Feels Good [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoodFeelsGood]. Well, that and a little prestige goes a long way towards getting the endorphins flowing.