Nintendo CEO Shouldn't Have His Job, Pachter Says

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Pot meet kettle.

Yes, the Wii U is one massive cluster fuck of Nintendo getting a lot of things wrong about the market. But when Iwata's fucked up he's actually taken significant pay cuts as a result. Voluntarily I might add. But when Pachter gets stuff wrong? Well, apparently nothing happens because he still has a job and people still write articles about what he says. In recent history, Iwata has fucked up what? Twice? Once with the 3DS launch and once with the Wii U. And he managed to turn the 3DS around at least. How many times has Pachter gotten things wrong? Oh that's right, pretty much every time he opens his mouth.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Agente L said:
Why do we still pay any attention to pachter?
Comedy. When he's right, he's right. But when he's wrong, he's hilariously, off-the-charts wrong.
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
So he can predict the PAST? That's kind of a useless trait in a analyst :/
You just offended Hindsight Analytics. :'(

gamernerdtg2 said:
I don't know this dude, but I think he's right about this being the last gen for consoles.
And it it's not, he'll just predict it again. Like he did for last gen's consoles.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Pachter talking about how other person doesn't deserve his job. Talk about irony.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Screw this guy. So... Nintendo isn't making stupidly sick amounts of profit so this Iwata is an asshole who should be fired? Did he completely forget that Nintendo is a Japanese company? Not subject our unfair laws concerning fiduciary?

"Oh noes, Iwata hasn't completely twisted the concept of 'entertainment company' around the American Worship of Money. Fire that incompetent fool of a CEO so they can get down to the proper business of completely debasing themselves."

This guy can piss right the hell off back to whatever hole he crawled out of to vomit his nonsense at us like he's actually important and knowledgable.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Can,t say the guy is wrong... say what you want but the marketting of the Wii U is not there... Nintendo CEO need to wakeup and do something to sales his console

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
I agree with his stab at Nintendo, but I don't see his predictions for future sales coming true, never do with this guy. And I'd like to know how 90 - 110 million sales as opposed to 100 - 120 millions sales constitutes Xbone "losing" this generation.
Sony will make a shit-ton of dough, Microsoft will make a shit-ton of dough. Depending on how thing go with these Steam Machines, nothing will change.
Nintendo's main problem now is: what does it do next in terms of consoles? The main problem is that people see the Wii U as sort of Current Gen and a half rather than Next Gen. I really think it was a mistake trying to launch so early. They can't just cut their losses with the Wii U and try again, that would be incredibly risky. But at the same time, can they really hold out for a whole decade (as predicted with the PS4 and Xbone) before trying a new console? Will consoles as we know them still be a thing in ten years?!

I know what I WANT to happen. I want Steam Machines to take off and for a standardised format to emerge, played across all prominent consoles. I'm sick of what is essentially already a standard format for games being arbitrarily split into three competing platforms.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
I don't think Nintendo has any plans to try and go a decade between console releases. 5-6 years seems more likely, at which point they release some new console that makes the PS4 and X-Bone look absolutely archaic in terms of hardware and suddenly MS and Sony need to rethink the decade timeline or else see their systems fall back in relevance.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Nintendo's doing well in the handheld department, I don't think they need to give away games on phones to boost sales.

Nintendo seems to want to keep their backlog on their systems but they don't seem to be able to do that very well. It could be publisher related issues for why more games aren't added to the store but it's nintendo's fault for making the store so damn hard to navigate.

[small]*Experience based on 3DS e-Shop.[/small]

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Weaver said:
He also expects a renewed interest in the PC platform as time goes on.
HOLY SHIT NO WAY! The PC already underwent a massive resurgence years ago. He's predicting things that already happened.
So he can predict the PAST? That's kind of a useless trait in a analyst :/
But an excellent statistician :D

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Yes, the Wii-U hasn't done splendid business. But it has a Mario game out now which is getting fantastic reviews (In 1080p and 60fps, as one reviewer noted), and Christmas is coming. Nintendo could turn things around- but its long-term strategy has never included diluting its existing console brand with cross-platform sales, and I don't buy that the idea of putting more games on a flooded mobile market is any more than the bitching of a lazy armchair quarterback.

Further, there's the small matter that Iwata is the guy responsible for Nintendo's policy of keeping loyal employees rather than engaging in sweeping layoffs to keep shareholders happy, which means he's made at least one decision that makes him worthier of keeping his job than Pachter.

I'm really starting to get tired of that schmuck tossing his opinion around like it was worth more than any of a hundred amateurs, let alone that his is the voice of Truth. Good Lord, there's got to be someone else video game reporters can go to for an opinion on this kind of thing! If his words actually make it to the ears of someone with the power to turn wheels, it's a sad day for everyone.

Jun 20, 2013
I'm confuse ... isn't the 3DS doing damn fine? Shrinking handheld market? I hate this man for just being a well paid flamer. His job is to troll and to say nasty things that sound smart. That or put a spin on trends and charts, but in reality have very little actuality to justify the core of the statements made.

Also ... the "I" word. Again. Innovation Innovation Innovation RAMS Innovation Innovation SUPAR GRAPHICS Innovation!
Seriosuly do us all a favor and STFU Pachter. Go curl up in a whole far away from civilization and broadband access.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
It's like Pachter doesn't understand the basic of how console manufacturer earn money from licences.
Does he honestly believe Nintendo would earn more money if they went for the smartphone market and ruin their handheld market? Does he really think that Mario on a phone will earn more than Mario on a Nintendo handheld, the handheld and the licencing fees combined? If Nintendo ever shows interest in publishing games for a non-Nintendo platform, it will ruin their hardware market. And I don't see how the handheld market is shrinking. The 3DS is doing bloody well and it will reach the DS sales if it keeps going this way.

And the most important question, why the fuck does Pachter still have his job? He is even worse than a broken clock. A broken clock is at least twice a day right.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Gizen said:
EDIT: On a bit of a tangent, I don't understand WHY the Wii U is selling so poorly. Every single person I ask why they're not buying it gives me the same reason. "I'm not going to buy it because it has no games I care about. Oh, except for..." and then they proceed to list off a whole bunch of games for it, or that are soon coming out for it, that they want.
Well, let's say you grab a Wii U from Amazon right now for $325. Now you need a game, which is approximately $60. At that point, you're down $385 and you have exactly one game you can play, which means effectively that game cost you $385. If you buy a second game then you've spent $445 (or $222.50 per game). You have to buy nine games at $60 before the effective cost per game drops below $100.

That's a lot of money for a game. If your friends are like mine, they just can't bring themselves to spend that much on any one or two games and there are nowhere near enough games (And they don't have enough money to spare) to make the effective cost/game worth it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
every time Pachter badmouths Nintendo, it makes it obvious that he has no clue how Japanese business standards work. Seriously, if you're going to try and talk about an international company then actually study up on their country's business culture. He's gone from being just another idiot to a bitter, mean-spirited moron. It's gotten tiresome

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Falterfire said:
Gizen said:
EDIT: On a bit of a tangent, I don't understand WHY the Wii U is selling so poorly. Every single person I ask why they're not buying it gives me the same reason. "I'm not going to buy it because it has no games I care about. Oh, except for..." and then they proceed to list off a whole bunch of games for it, or that are soon coming out for it, that they want.
Well, let's say you grab a Wii U from Amazon right now for $325. Now you need a game, which is approximately $60. At that point, you're down $385 and you have exactly one game you can play, which means effectively that game cost you $385. If you buy a second game then you've spent $445 (or $222.50 per game). You have to buy nine games at $60 before the effective cost per game drops below $100.

That's a lot of money for a game. If your friends are like mine, they just can't bring themselves to spend that much on any one or two games and there are nowhere near enough games (And they don't have enough money to spare) to make the effective cost/game worth it.
The Wii-U comes bundled with at least 1 game, either Mario, NintendoLand, or WindWaker.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Sean951 said:
The Wii-U comes bundled with at least 1 game, either Mario, NintendoLand, or WindWaker.
Although this mitigates the problem, it does not solve it. $325 is still quite a bit to play for a single game, and the upwards scaling math just gets adjusted by a little bit. Still need several games to even hit the $100/game mark.

I can't speak for sure about perceived value, but I'm willing to bet part of the reason fewer people are on board with buying a Wii U than are interested in the XBone/PS4 is a combination of the stereotype (Correct or not) that all Nintendo games are basically the same old thing as last gen and the competitive fanboyism encouraged by marketing that lead people to feel a strong brand loyalty to the XBone/PS4.