Nintendo CEO Takes 50% Pay Cut

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Of all Nintendo's recent missteps, it's good to see they're not entirely evil and unsympathetic.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
*claps* a CEO who takes responsibility and shares the loss with the company he runs. T_T Nintendo sometimes I hate you but most of the time I love you

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
You know, it's nice and all that he did this. But what kind of a world do we live where this is the oddity and we congratulate him for doing? "You accepted responsibility! We're so proud of you!"

It's disgusting we have to be proud of someone doing the minimum.

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
So a company that is known for making, let's say, "immature distractions" is acting way more mature than companies which essentially just play with Lincoln logs made of money all day? Maybe it's Japanese cultural values coming across here too, but damn. I have much more respect for a company who is willing to cut its top end salaries to compensate for failure. But this is just a post on the internet where there's way less paid than a dime a dozen so suddenly this entire tirade feels pointless when juxtaposed with the reality that execs in America took money handed out by the government and just pretended that business as usual passed. What. The. F....

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I approve of everyone making the same joke in different versions. o_O

And props to the CEO. Nice way to deal with the problem.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Hmmmmm, nice to see execs taking the fall for failings, I applaud this.

Take note all you wanker bankers, this is real leadership

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Any time I read a CEO takes a pay cut, I don't find it endearing at all. Oh, you mean he has to make do with only a half a million dollars? How poor and unfortunate of him. If only we all could be so lucky.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
how very Japanese.
around these part CEOs react to poor sales by taking more coke, giving themselves a pay raise and wiring all their cash to a tax haven.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
200 years ago, they would have committed Seppuku, if this was all self inflicted.
Assuming it is, then our American Bank CEOs could learn a lesson from them.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
It's a nice gesture, I suppose. $850k isn't too shabby though, even it's pocket change compared to what other CEOs of Nintendo-sized companies make.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
/clap
Nice to see the management take the hit instead of the little guys. Nintendo's going to be an interesting company to watch for a while.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
you mean it doesn't print money?

seriously now: For them to look at their numbers, see how they messed up and say, "We get a pay cut." takes balls. In America, when a company starts to do bad, the CEOs fire people, cut the pay of the people who work below them, then take their private jet to go on vacation. American CEOs will do anything they can to not take blame and get more money.

That's the American way.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I am glad he is taking responsibility and not a large group of workers there. Hopefully things will start going up for them soon.

quantum mechanic

Jul 8, 2009
This is pretty much what everyone is saying, but still, props to the Nintendo executives. I have never heard of something like this happening in the United States, at least without huge external (government or shareholder) pressure.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Too bad for them, I like their CEOs, but you can't say it's not deserving. I like that they take responsibility, and wall street should take notice. Good on you Nintendo!
I have no doubt that their luck will return once the new Mario games come out and their salaries will go back up.

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
Nice to know that some people at the topp realise that they don't really need all that money.
Well done, Iwata. You have my respect.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Low Key said:
Any time I read a CEO takes a pay cut, I don't find it endearing at all. Oh, you mean he has to make do with only a half a million dollars? How poor and unfortunate of him. If only we all could be so lucky.
If you're an idiot a paycut of about %50 percent can screw up your life just as much as not having a lot of money in the first place (no sympathy for the devil type thing) but it could hurt. This guy clearly has lead nintendo well the past 10 years and a a salary of 1.8 mill is nothing in that posistion, I'm sure he earned every cent, and it's a classy move that on the first big mistake this isn't turning into a fit about pay.

He's taking the responsible approach and should be credited for that, is he going to starve clearly not but after leading a company like he has and deserves $$$ because he did his job well. It came off as if you want to give him shit because he's payed more then you and jealousy. People can earn that type of money and saying he doesn't' deserve a clap for taking responsibility and a huge pay cut is silly

witheringsanity

Aug 25, 2009
ON TOPIC: wow. it seems Nintendo may be sealing it's own fate with all these bad decisions. launch the 3DS in march (not during christmas season???) with a crappy lineup of games and no online shop. then at E3, announce the most ridiculous idea for a new system since the Virtual Boy, which is near guaranteed to fail since A: casual gamers dont want to spend $350-400 on a video game system (and they already own the Wii), and B: core gamers dont want gimmicky crap. I really hope they get their act together soon.

OFF TOPIC: i HAAAAAAATE these F#$KING captcha's with G*DDAMN F$%KING ADVERTISEMENTS. this is seriously way worse than VEVO's ads and the meebo toolbar combined. so to post in a forum, i have to click an add, and then type something into a box that pertains to the ad, like "pepsi is the best!" or "no money down!!!" or "da da da da da i'm lovin it!" it fills me with the rage of a thousand suns. i'm seriously considering leaving this forum forever if this crap continues.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
So what's the big deal?
He's rich.
Big deal if his income is cut in half when he's already sitting on a fortune.
He could retire right now and his money would last down to his great grandchildren.
This is not some kind of noble 'self-sacrifice'.
If a 'normal' person gives $100 to charity, they're generous.
If a rich person does it, who cares, it's spare change for them.