Nintendo CEO Takes 50% Pay Cut

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
A CEO taking a pay cut when profits are down, instead of giving himself a huge bonus?

Nintendo is a company truly worthy of respect.

Hopefully their next system will actually sell well.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Not G. Ivingname said:
Jumwa said:
What kind of bizarro universe is this news report from?! A CEO taking a pay cut for failing to do their job correctly?!

I don't know how things work in Nintendo, but here in North America when a CEO bungles something horribly, we give him pay raises and government bail out money.
Japanese business is more "honorable" in the name of forming good business relations. Sign a contract with a Japanese company, and they won't try to "change" the deal or not follow through. It has to do with the cultural background of the nation and their self image. They also don't want all their investors to die of a heart attack from the news.
Apparently you never heard the story about how the Sony Playstation came into existence?

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
It's hardly surprising the 3DS isn't making that much money considering everytime they release a DS it doesn't do much different from the original one, the changes are what? a webcam, lighter, bigger screen, and now 3d (not sure on this but doesnt the webcam one have a web browser too? i dont know i still have the original DS), in the current situation most people aren't willing to pay £2-300 on a DS which does mostly the same as the older ones.

I expect much of the same from the new Wii if i'm honest (going off what we've been shown) considering the only thing they've shown us so far is a new controller and hd graphics (which the other current gen consoles already have been doing for 6 years now).

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
I may not agree with a lot of their ideas lately, but I have to say Iwata and company are just awesome dudes. And, like others have said above... that was a TINY salary to begin with. 1.8 million, for the CEO of one of the biggest companies in one of the most valuable entertainment properties in the WORLD? Halving that, that's less than a million. That's not counting what actually has to, you know, spend.

It's still a lot, but it's tiny when you consider the circumstances.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
I'm kind of glad that Nintendo is finally suffering for failing to create a new idea other than Wii Sports since the Nintendo 64.

I was beginning to think it would never get what should be coming :/.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"The pay cuts are ostensibly part of Nintendo management "taking responsibility" for poor 3DS sales"

Now that's noble, responsible and a great thing.
It's just extremely sad that this highlights the fact that all the other fatcat, corrupt slimes that call themselves top management NEVER do stuff like that.
They demand a full years salary plus bonusses when they are being fired for righteous reasons.

The world is just shit... :(

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I'm sorry to hear the 3DS isn't selling well, but I'm glad to hear that Iwata is taking responsibility for the less than stellar sales of the 3DS. I wish CEOs would take that kind of Corporate responsibility here in the US.

witheringsanity said:
OFF TOPIC: i HAAAAAAATE these F#$KING captcha's with G*DDAMN F$%KING ADVERTISEMENTS. this is seriously way worse than VEVO's ads and the meebo toolbar combined. so to post in a forum, i have to click an add, and then type something into a box that pertains to the ad, like "pepsi is the best!" or "no money down!!!" or "da da da da da i'm lovin it!" it fills me with the rage of a thousand suns. i'm seriously considering leaving this forum forever if this crap continues.
I've been waiting to bring this up for a while now, but I agree these adds are really annoying. Something really should be done about it because they are really ruining the Escapist.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
It's rather sad to see Nintendo fall so bad, but it makes sense. Regular people just don't find the value in having the newest gadget (3DS) when they can have one that's somewhat less advanced (DS) for a much smaller price. On the other hand, gamers like me don't find the value in settling for second best (best being PSVita; HD portable = win).

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
If only all CEOs would take responsibility like this. I'm sure if this type of thing had happened to Microsoft or Sony then they would start laying people off and bringing salary cuts all around, except of course for the executives.

Almost makes me feel bad that there's no way in hell I'm going to buy a WiiU or 3DS.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Nintendo of America makes me depressed.

Nintendo of Japan, however, continues to have my support.

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
You know, I try to hate Nintendo for all the crap they've got on the Wii and the remake of OoT, but then they go and do shit like this.

Damn Nintendo, why you gotta be so willing to own up to your mistakes?

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
US Government or rather I should say my Government...or rather CEOs of my countries companies? Take notes.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
esperandote said:
They got balls, props to them. On the other hand, making 850k a year isn't that little.
It might already have been pointed out, but having your usual pay cut would mean cutting back on things that seemed inconsquential before.

It'll be pretty different in the Iwata house.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Jumwa said:
What kind of bizarro universe is this news report from?! A CEO taking a pay cut for failing to do their job correctly?!

I don't know how things work in Nintendo, but here in North America when a CEO bungles something horribly, we give him pay raises and government bail out money.
I may be chided for submitting anecdotal evidence, particularly of the variety provided by an elder sibling, but what the Hell...

My sister gets to do quite a bit of travelling (read: globetrotting) in her job. She said that the culture is so different in Japan because they take that honor shit seriously. Since she is one of the lead lobbyists for a major pharmaceutical company, she used this hypothetical example.

An American animal pharmaceutical company creates a salve that is applied to the back of a dog's ears. While the product is being vetted by the FDA (that's Food and Drug Administration to you non-Yanks out there), a dog owner who's agreed to test the product fails to remove the salve at the appropriate time, and absently allows his toddler to play with the dog. The product kills the child once it gets into her system. A lawsuit may occur, which will slow the vetting and eventual release of the product, but once the fault is established as the negligence of the father, the company will do just fine, and in all likelihood no one will use their job, save for the person who elected the father for the trial. The same thing happens with a Japanese product, and the CEO resigns in shame. No concessions are made for the sole blame belonging to the negligent father. Is that right? I don't think so, but apparently the Japanese disagree.

On topic: what I do agree with is Nintendo taking ownership of their own fuck-ups. They are both a monumentally stubborn and a ridiculously creative, risk-taking company (sticking with the cartridge format, Super Mario 64, and the Wii, respectively), so fuck-ups are a matter of time for them. It would appear that money alone is not the bottom line for Nintendo. Good on them.

Also: 1.7 Million for the head of the one company most synonymous with gaming? That's it?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
koroem said:
I wonder what kind of pay cut they will take when the Wii U releases....
...cut and paste from 2005, with the letter "U" added and no discernible sense of irony.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Denamic said:
So what's the big deal?
He's rich.
Big deal if his income is cut in half when he's already sitting on a fortune.
He could retire right now and his money would last down to his great grandchildren.
This is not some kind of noble 'self-sacrifice'.
If a 'normal' person gives $100 to charity, they're generous.
If a rich person does it, who cares, it's spare change for them.
Tell that to the anesthesiologist who tips me $5 every day for a cup of coffee.

And to all the rich people who give away a Helluvah lot more than $100 every year to charity, including both those who do it for their conscience and those who do it for the tax cut. Take away that and the churches, and there are no more charities.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
I think the problem with the 3ds is marketing, its being sold as the DS with 3d instead of as its own system, if you have actually seen the improvements to it are enough to say comparing the 3ds to the DS is like comparing the gamboy to the gameboy advance, their is enough improvemt in hardware to justify buying it as it can now play truely 3d games at a respectible id say game cube lv quality and the the wii menu like interface is realy good. its just Nintendo has made some poor marketing decisions and should have launched on July 1st instead of march, because then people could get Zelda and street fighter at launch and only have to waite a little while for a cascade of good games