Nintendo Confirms it Won't Have a Press Conference at E3 This Year

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo Confirms it Won't Have a Press Conference at E3 This Year

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1401/1401881.jpgIf you were hoping that Nintendo might return with a full-fledged press conference at this year's E3, we've got some bad new for you.

Since 2013, Nintendo has forgone the trip to E3 to hold a massive press conference. Instead, it's put together a pre-recorded Nintendo Direct video each year that shows off the games and hardware that gamers can expect from the company in the coming year. That trend will apparently continue this year, as Nintendo has confirmed that it will not attend E3 again in 2017.

Yesterday, Nintendo held its annual financial briefing, in which it announced that it had shipped 2.74 million Nintendo Switch consoles in March. At the end of its presentation, the company said, "Finally, the video game tradeshow E3 will be held in Los Angeles this June. Again this year, we will not be hosting a large-scale press conference for institutional investors, analysts, and the media." The company did not say that it would host another Nintendo Direct, only that it would "present further information" on its plans at a "later date"

Meanwhile, Nintendo revealed today that it will release a new handheld, the New 2DS XL, in July. This new handheld, coupled with the Switch, should provide the company plenty to talk about in whatever event it holds in conjunction with E3. We will keep an ear to the ground and update you with any news on just what Nintendo's plans are.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Nintendo still gets that its not their battle.

They might make some bad business decisions, but deciding to stop the E3 conferences was an extremely smart thing to do. Their Treehouse stuff is always more fun anyway.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Jacked Assassin said:
I'm expecting this years E3 to be ruined or over shadowed by US politics this year anyway.
Yep. I mean, why let anyone be able to enjoy a little escapism when developers and so-called journalists can shove their politics into everyone's faces?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
LysanderNemoinis said:
Jacked Assassin said:
I'm expecting this years E3 to be ruined or over shadowed by US politics this year anyway.
Yep. I mean, why let anyone be able to enjoy a little escapism when developers and so-called journalists can shove their politics into everyone's faces?
Dopest Display Pic I've seen in a while. Fitting for the times.

LysanderNemoinis

Nov 8, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Jacked Assassin said:
Dopest Display Pic I've seen in a while. Fitting for the times.
Why thank you. I'm quite fond of it. It was either this or the flag of my people, the oppressed Kekistanis. We do take converts, though.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
LysanderNemoinis said:
Jacked Assassin said:
...I mean, besides the non-zero chance that some developers won't be let into the country.

EDIT: On topic, Nintendo continues good decision. E3 was always a dumpster fire. Should've just stayed dead.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Wow, this thread turned into an alt-right circle-jerk in record time. GG, Escapist, that's actually kind of impressive.

OT: This should hardly be surprising. If they haven't done it for three years in a row, why would they suddenly choose to do it again now?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
This hasn't been news for awhile so it's just the same as always. I stopped watching E3 due to how boring and awkward they became while Nintendo was at least doing something new with the Digital Events whil when they want to show the games they have their Treehouse Live stuff that has HOURS of footage

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
So is it gonna be a Nintendo Direct still or is it gonna be another lacking Nintendo Treehouse like last year?

LysanderNemoinis

Nov 8, 2010
altnameJag said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Jacked Assassin said:
...I mean, besides the non-zero chance that some developers won't be let into the country.
Right, because that's actually a thing that's happened so far. Any and all immigration/refugee pauses have been held up in court by unconstitutional rulings from pissy judges. Trust me, IF there are any developers who don't come to E3 because of "politics," it will be the ones virtue signaling by refusing to show up.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
LysanderNemoinis said:
Right, because that's actually a thing that's happened so far. Any and all immigration/refugee pauses have been held up in court by unconstitutional rulings from pissy judges. Trust me, IF there are any developers who don't come to E3 because of "politics," it will be the ones virtue signaling by refusing to show up.
I mean, it happened during the Academy Awards, but yeah, definitely couldn't happen again because reasons.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Nintendo is a bit like Trump. Doesn't want to answer any difficult questions...like about its business plan, say.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Wow, this thread turned into an alt-right circle-jerk in record time. GG, Escapist, that's actually kind of impressive.

OT: This should hardly be surprising. If they haven't done it for three years in a row, why would they suddenly choose to do it again now?
Yep I'm so Alt Right that I'm a "Bernie Bro".
Nope.
I'm just expecting some kind of massive political controversy by people bum-rushing the stage.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Jacked Assassin said:
shrekfan246 said:

Yep I'm so Alt Right that I'm a "Bernie Bro".
Nope.
Wasn't referring to you.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Eh, they will have a bunch of Nintendo Treehouse streams and that's way more interesting than the press conferences that companies have. 2 days of nothing but gameplay and developer talking about games and explaining their design decisions while playing games has become my favorite part of e3 thanks to Nintendo.

thenewguy512739

Feb 14, 2017
At least Directs don't have the potential of having cringe-worthy performances (and if they do, they tend to go all-out).

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Nintendo has won E3 the last few years in a row as a direct result of not wasting their time on these conferences...gotta wonder how many years Sony/Xbox will have to repeat past mistakes before they realize there's a much better and cheaper way to go about this.