Nintendo Considering Subscription Fees

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
They were a bit too cryptic about what advantages you might get out of being a paying customer, but it sounds vaguely similar to the same system that the Xbox uses. If you don't want to pay, nobody is forcing you to. As long as they still provide system and game updates for free, and perhaps charge for MP, then who is that going to hurt? Most people I know get together in the same room to play on a Wii, so let them experiment with the system to test the waters to see if it is even worth doing. After a quarter or two, they will certain have their evidence as to whether this is a good or bad idea. At least give them credit for wanting to try something.

Litchhunter

Apr 16, 2010
\butt hurt rant
....a wii...hmm...where have I heard of those before?
Oh yeah! Thats the thing I havent played for almost a year due to no good games comeing out in that peroid of time! The thing I stupidly bought because they made it look like it was the greatest thing of all time by releaseing a ton of good games in the first few months or so but then went to waste! The thing that I can count the number of good games for on one hand!
....wait? You want me to pay even more money for a online service that makes my cellphone look like an Xbox 360? ...haha, Miyamoto made a funny....
/end butt hurt rant

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Oh man, what a joke! They better pull off something fucking amazing if they expect anyone short of a total sucker to pay for their services. I know I sure as shit wouldn't pay for the pain in the ass that is Wii online.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
And pay for an online interface that sucks?

At least my 360 gives me stuff like Party Chat.
Atlest TF2 and all half life mods give me party chat, oh wait i dont pay anything for that.

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
VitusPrime said:
No...subscription will not work with nintendo less they get rid of there friend codes. Full Stop.
LOL what idiot would pay for Nintendo online? I understand for the 360 (though even that is not very justified, since its just m$) but come on, pay to try to get friend codes so you MIGHT be able to play with your friends on ssbb?

ionveau said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
And pay for an online interface that sucks?

At least my 360 gives me stuff like Party Chat.
Atlest TF2 and all half life mods give me party chat, oh wait i dont pay anything for that.
win^

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
What is wrong with the industry. The PC enjoyed free online for years and suddenly I have to fucking pay for every little damn thing.

Gh0st1y_H

Jan 11, 2010
I'd like to say this is a dumb idea, but I seriously doubt that Nintendo is just waving their members around.

Nintendo doesn't have many good online games worth going out of the way for. That, and it seriously gimped itself in terms of online juggernauts. (CoD is bad, and I don't think there are any BF games on there. Ignore all the good console/PC exclusives you don't get if you side with Nintendo.)

Still, there are enough people out there that will end up signing up just because they don't feel like buying a system that isn't terrible. It was a money farm waiting to happen, albeit a completely underhanded one in terms of, once again, leeching off of casual gamers.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
AC10 said:
What is wrong with the industry. The PC enjoyed free online for years and suddenly I have to fucking pay for every little damn thing.
The main problem is the person, you cant blaim the buisness, the buisness is not a person, it has no morals, all the buisness wants is your MONEY, if you give them money they will ask for more its like the rat and the cookie

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
stupid idea, nintendo are no longer a games console maker, they have survived the rise of the xbox by making its own market (kids and novelty tech heads), no one will pay to play wii sports online, the novelty of the wii wears off after about a week anyway

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
lostzombies.com said:
stupid idea, nintendo are no longer a games console maker, they have survived the rise of the xbox by making its own market (kids and novelty tech heads), no one will pay to play wii sports online, the novelty of the wii wears off after about a week anyway
Sony, a "hardcore console" doesn't have online subscriptions (yet, but those will be optional for additional content/access to betas etc), already offers ten times more than the pitiful online capabilities the Wii has. If Nintendo starts charging, it can only be a good thing for Sony, cementing them more in the "Wii HD" image they're trying to create to get the casual gamers to jump ship.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Hahaha.
Nintendo won't get a subscription dime from me. I've already got a 360 to do my online playing.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
ionveau said:
AC10 said:
The main problem is the person, you cant blaim the buisness, the buisness is not a person, it has no morals, all the buisness wants is your MONEY, if you give them money they will ask for more its like the rat and the cookie
Well, I refuse to pay for a lot of things. For instance, my 360 will never play games online as I'm not going to pay Microsoft for the "privilege" of using their piece of shit service. I also rarely ever buy DLC as it's largely a waste of money based on what you actually get for the price of it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The bottom line is that things like X-Box Live have shown that people are willing to pay for the abillity to play online, and get DLC and such a little bit earlier than non-paid subscribers. Microsoft is raking in some pretty substantial amounts of cash from this.

Other businesses are foolish not to be thinking "hey, that could be us". Right now Nintendo and Sony have a decent amount of users due to them not charging for their online components (such as they are). However it doubtlessly occurs to both that if everyone decides to charge it's not like gamers will be able to "flee" to the free services. I suspect what Nintendo is doing is sitting there waiting to launch a pay service if Sony (who has talked about doing the same thing) also decides to launch one.

That's what my cynical paranoia tells me at any rate. :p

Speaking entirely for myself I only rarely buy XBL gold membership (when I have a new fighting game or whatever I might get a month or two usually to try it out online, but gradually I've been gravitating towards just getting all those games for the PS-3 if I can).

To make these fees worthwhile to me, what they would need to do is effectively become their own ISP. One of my big problems with XBL for example is that I'm paying them that money on top of the money I pay for my internet connection. A lot of the features I pay for are things that are redundant with my ISP to begin with... the only thing they really offer despite their "padding" is the abillity to play their console games online.

Now if say Microsoft was to keep their price where it is now, but make it so I could go online without needing to pay for internet... well that would be something else entirely.

Consider that internet is often bundled together with other things like your TV/Satellite/Phone. If say Microsoft managed to make an X-box that did all of these diverse things and offered their service for $10 as opposed to say the hundred dollars a month a decent package might cost you... well... that would be something entirely differant.

There have already been some hints about companies wanting to do exactly that, but none have ever materialized, and what few programs I've seen that were most seriously being considered ultimatly wound up wanting to ask for a price similar to what you'd already pay.

Ah well, enough rambling. The bottom line is that the continued survival of Xbox Live: Gold pretty much shows that it can be gotten away with, other companies were simply more wary about trying to get too much money out of users... online fees however are a cash cow.

Pat728

Feb 21, 2010
It might be worth it if the wii's online gets a massive upgrade. If what we have now will cost money then no thanks.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I guess I should be happy I don't get any games from Nintendo. Ever. I have never even played Mario or Zelda in my life, or at least not within my own home.

Hey, if that's what they want to do, I guess they can have fun with it. It might be interesting to watch to see how it turns out for them.