Nintendo Defeats Sony, Apple is "Enemy of the Future"

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Mr. Grey said:
i it's Sony that doesn't have to worry about you anymore.
Except that, you know, Nintendo outsells Sony on the console department. You know, like a million to one or something, and earns a lot more money on each sold Wii and DS than Sony does with it's PS3 and PSP (even though the PS3 is now finally making money, woohoo!).

I don't think you can deny that the DS is infinitely more popular than the PSP, and that popularity-wise it's especially Apple that rivals Nintendo with their iPhone.

But anyway, I wouldn't call this so much news, they've been talking about Apple threatening Nintendo for some months now. [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-09-08/apple-eats-into-nintendo-sony-s-console-sales-as-iphone-plays-to-gamers.html]
I made that post six months ago, so you're going to have to excuse me if I don't make much sense in my response.

I wasn't really referring in the sense that Nintendo pretty much decimated Sony in the console and handheld. Which is funny because people said the PSP was going to win, and yet here I am playing my DS Lite more than my PSP -- which will change when Monster Hunter Portable 3 rolls around the corner for the West. Still a little aggravated that it didn't come to the PS3, but bygones are bygones.

I was saying Sony no longer has to worry about them for the hardcore market for the handheld consoles or traditional consoles. From what was going on against Apple sounded like Nintendo was going to go for the Farmville market more, now with more info on the 3DS and finally paying attention to what the hell smart phones are capable of, I can start to see what Nintendo was going at.

And to be perfectly honest, I can't even think about what I was thinking about when I made that post... so I guess I agree with you.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Meh.

Consoles and handhelds have been dying for a long time.
Statistics disagree with you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Worldwide_sales_figures_5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Worldwide_sales_figures_6

respectively compared to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Worldwide_sales_figures_4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Worldwide_sales_figures_2

The market is growing and will one day be as big as the film industry. With that increased sales and the market growing. Especially with people being a lot more aware, a lot more demographics are playing games (such as women and older generation in a previously male dominated market) and it's becoming far more mainstream to play video games

So no, neither of them are dying

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
The Rockerfly said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Meh.

Consoles and handhelds have been dying for a long time.
Statistics disagree with you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Worldwide_sales_figures_5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Worldwide_sales_figures_6

respectively compared to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Worldwide_sales_figures_4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Worldwide_sales_figures_2

The market is growing and will one day be as big as the film industry. With that increased sales and the market growing. Especially with people being a lot more aware, a lot more demographics are playing games (such as women and older generation in a previously male dominated market) and it's becoming far more mainstream to play video games

So no, neither of them are dying
And here is a link for you:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.193383-Nintendo-Defeats-Sony-Apple-is-Enemy-of-the-Future?page=2#8947062
Yeah they may be successful and selling better than ever but the games that are coming out. There's only a handful of games I would happily buy again

At least in that respects I completely agree

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Mr. Grey said:
*checks the date of the OP for the first time*
7th Of May?! And here was I thinking this was a new post. A ninja gravedig I say.
s69-5 said:
I just read all of that. Sounds like someone may have a case of the "elites" going on and is tip-toeing around it. I can't say for sure. But then again, I've not been overly impressed with Kitty's posts (that I've encountered) in the threads anyhow.

OP: Logical.

The iPhone is Nintendo's biggest threat. Even in the lean times for their consoles (N64, Gamecube - which were quite "family friendly" themselves - one of the multitude of reasons I did not buy those, but I digress) their dominance in the handheld market kept them afloat.

Anything that threatens that order, is dangerous to the Big "N".
Her posts had that pattern yes, simply ignoring questions and all that.

As for Nintendo, they were pretty much always family friendly, their first-party titles showed that, all the way back to the NES years. I wouldn't call the N64 part of the lean times either, that thing was huge with all those revolutionary titles on it.

It's funny by the way how people dismiss the Gamecube as childish, even though it has an amazing horror game line-up. I should so expand my GameCube library. I still need Viewtiful Joe, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 4 and the remake of the first, Pikmin (ok that game is pretty cute), Star Wars Rogue Leader 2, Time Splitters 2, Beyond Good And Evil...and that's not even all of it! ARG!!!

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Cowabungaa said:
Ah well. You argued your points very well and I get what you're saying, but we just don't see eye to eye. No biggie :)

PhiMed said:
Lol. Armchair psychiatrists are cute.
Yes, armchair. Or clinic, whichever. Not perceptive enough to look at usernames, hon?

While you're correct that my diagnosis isn't even close to being definitive (I'd need to see a pervasive pattern of behavior over an extended period of time in multiple locations and situations), I stand by my assertion that your reasoning suggests that you would stand to benefit from a psych consult.

So either you're illogical, or you're too inarticulate to express your opinions. Which would you prefer? Have a seat to think about it, if you like.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
PhiMed said:
XD

Listen to you, acting all smart. Cute.

Though, you should probably know what it is your calling someone before you do it;

Borderline Personality Disorder:

"Deep feelings of insecurity
Difficulty coping with fear of abandonment and loss; continually seeking reassurance, even for small things; expressing inappropriate anger towards others whom they consider responsible for how they feel; a fragile sense of self and one?s place in the world.

Persistent impulsiveness
Abusing alcohol and other drugs; spending excessively; gambling; stealing; driving recklessly, or having unsafe sex.

Confused, contradictory feelings
Frequent questioning and changing of emotions or attitudes towards others, and towards aspects of life such as goals, career, living arrangements or sexual orientation.

Self-harm
Causing deliberate pain by cutting, burning or hitting oneself; overdosing on prescription or illegal drugs; binge eating or starving; abusing alcohol and other drugs; repeatedly putting oneself in dangerous situations or attempting suicide."

- http://www.sane.org/information/factsheets-podcasts/160-borderline-personality-disorder

"(1) frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.
Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.

(2) a pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation

(3) identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self

(4) impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, Substance Abuse, reckless driving, binge eating).
Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.

(5) recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior

(6) affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)

(7) chronic feelings of emptiness

(8) inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)

(9) transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms"

- http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/disorders/borderlinepd.htm
- http://www.borderlinepersonalitytoday.com/main/dsmiv.htm

None of which are evident from me in this thread.

Facts - the more you know!
Whatever makes you feel better, sweetheart.

If you think that comparing marketting to families and casual gamers to producing white supremacy propaganda is "appropriate" anger, then I suppose you're correct.

Good for you on choosing a site other than wikipedia to copy-paste, though. One of those articles you didn't bother to read actually included an exerpt from the DSM-IV.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
PhiMed said:
Pirate Kitty said:
PhiMed said:
I don't think you know what a metaphor is.
Saying that your response was inappropriately vitriolic = ignorance of the definition of a basic literary device.

Makes sense.
Oh, wait... did I say "makes sense"? What I meant to say was, "Those two things don't have anything to do with each other. Your response is a complete non sequitur, and you're speaking gibberish."

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
When I was a teenager, I hated Nintendo & Apple (because I was a Sega/PC, but as an adult I just hated their business policies & fanboys) & feared one would eventually buy the other out & become the ultimate evil corporation.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
PhiMed said:
Pirate Kitty said:
PhiMed said:
I don't think you know what a metaphor is.
Saying that your response was inappropriately vitriolic = ignorance of the definition of a basic literary device.

Makes sense.
"Ccomparing marketting to families and casual gamers to producing white supremacy propaganda"

That was a metaphor.

Please don't use threads that have ended to talk personally to me.

You may wish to read the rule section again.
23 posts from 9 unique users in the past two days. I don't think it's "ended".

I know what a metaphor is, and I think the one you used was outlandishly inappropriate. Restating what you meant by metaphor isn't going to change that opinion.

I'm sure you'll probably report me now, because you feel a near-pathological need to either reply or take action on every quote you get. Or, to use a metaphor similar to yours in both appropriateness and logical consistency, "You're going to murder a family of seven and bathe in their blood because you don't want to pay your taxes."

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
PhiMed said:
If you no longer have anything positive to contribute to this thread, please do not post in it further;

"Replying to a topic: Your responses should be relevant to the topic at hand or address a particular post. We like spirited responses on our forums, but they should be informed and polite responses. The great thing about a forum is that it allows you to take a minute to collect your thoughts before crafting a reply. One sentence non sequiturs are not good replies."

The banter between us has gone long off topic and is no longer contributing in a positive manor to this forum.

It may help to re-read the rules before posting in the future :)
Virtually every post you make is a one sentence non sequitur or a copy paste! If our banter is so far off topic, and is no longer contributing in a positive "manor", why do you continue? I've got a copy paste for you. You should enjoy it.

From "Common Troll Tactics"

6. When your tactics are turned on you, call your opponents trolls. Do not accept the fact that by calling someone using your tactics a troll that makes you the real troll.

7. Keep posting non-stop. Flood the group with your idiocy and nonsense. Some readers may equate your volume with proof of quality. You will tie good Linux advocates in knots trying to refute you and they won't have time for real advocacy.

You jumped into this forum and made some inflammatory comments you knew would confuse and/or anger. When people asked for clarification, you either responded cryptically or made outlandish statements that didn't even begin to answer their questions.

I continue to post in response because I'm on to you. I know what you're doing, and I know you are incapable of following your own advice and just stopping the stream of replies. You have a deep-seated need to have the last word because you think it will mean you "win".

Well, I've got to go. I don't have time to post 1700 times in a month like some people do, because I actually contribute to society.

Enjoy your day.