Nintendo Exec Explains NES Classic Scarcity

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The marketplace disconnect continues for them as they release an underpowered console to go up against the PS4 Pro and Xbone Scorpio.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
But how can you compare Phone Gaming and The Motion Control gaming of the Wii?

Can a Smartphone let me play a game like Bowling like how Wii Sports Bowling does?
can your wii play candy crush on the bus?

his point was that the wii attracted the same audience that the mobile games industry took control of. those who (as i hate to say the phrase) arent "gamers".

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Alternative title: "Nintendo full of shit; does not admit to dodgy business plans"

This is the reason i stay clear of your products.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Snark-brain thinks that the demographic they failed to account for, much like with many Amiibos, is scalpers.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
JenSeven said:
InsanityRequiem said:
For the people complaining about 2 million for March alone, here?s some facts for you. No console (outside the PS4) has sold more than 3 million in a year. So, based off market facts, 2 million in 1 single month, is actually overestimating the demand.

And separately in regards to the scarcity, I correctly called it that NES Classic was specifically for the adults and parents who either haven?t played gamed in a long time, or wanted to share their childhood with their own kids.
That is America.
World wide is different.
PS4 released in the US on November 13th, in Europe on November 29th.
On December 28th they had sold 4.2 million.

'In its first sales announcement of 2015, Sony confirmed on January 4 that it had sold-through 18.5 million PlayStation 4 units.'
*That is 2 and a half months after release.

But yeah, that is the PS4, and they had counted on the demand.

The Xboxes and Nintendo consoles have both had either terrible launches, insufficient supply or just crap press (Xbone) which would have dampened sales. Not to mention that they usually also didn't have much in the terms of launch titles either.
*That is 14 months after release

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
But how can you compare Phone Gaming and The Motion Control gaming of the Wii?

Can a Smartphone let me play a game like Bowling like how Wii Sports Bowling does?
My answer would be who cares? Do you see anyone pushing motion controlled party games anymore? That fad is well and truly over.

Motion controls still exist to an extent in VR, but Nintendo's not going anywhere near VR in the foreseeable future nor does VR offer anything like Wii level sales.

As for how I can compare the Wii and smart phones. Well they're both devices used the general consumer to play very simple, accessible video games for short periods. You're looking at it like a gamer, you're looking at inputs and mechanics, most don't.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Maybe Nintendo now learned that artificial scarcity doesn't work all the time.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Im pretty sure that Nintendo is just out of touch. Living somewhere in a bubble, where they just pull a number out of their collective asses and act accordingly. Literally anyone could have predicted that the Mini-NES would have had a much larger market than Nintendo predicted. Its Nintendo's most famous classic console, with a legit NES controller, with a bunch of games packed in. Nostalgia is a very powerful thing, and people emulate for a reason.

Its the same thing that happened with the Amiibos. They released a pitiful stock of them, and all that did was create a viscous market for scalpers to exploit. The execs and Nintendo need to open a window or something, or maybe browse the internet for a while.

Also, 2 million units? Well then, looks like we're in for round 3, boys and girls.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
JenSeven said:
We all know that the Switch is also aiming for the Wii crowd, and the Wii sold like mad when it was launched.
Nintendo will never get the Wii crowd back.

The Wii somehow managed to jump out of being a games device and become a lifestyle accessory. Wii Sports and Wii Fit hit on a fashion craze that saw Nintendo selling hardware to people who would never have looked at a game console or described themselves as gamers.

Trouble is these people weren't gamers, they didn't buy any software and once Wii Fit had failed to change their lives they left the console to rot next to the TV. Most of the Wii's that were sold are the game console equivalent of the treadmill your Mum* bought to get in shape that she uses as a clothes horse.

Even if the Switch is amazing it won't sell to these people now. The Wii launched before the iPhone, nowadays it would crash and burn in the face of FitBit and MyWellness and all the other live stat tracking fitness apps that sync up to social media. Nor will it sell as a media device since tablets and most TVs sold now can also get the internet, streaming and so on (and Nintendo's online services are a decade behind everyone else).

The casual market now belongs to phones and the army of clickers. Party games? Again smart phones and tablet have that covered. As for real games, most of the Wii's buyers wouldn't know Zelda from Samus, nor would they ever commit the time to learn how actually play a 'real' video game. No matter how good the Switch's library turns out to be it will have no draw for them.

The Wii's success was very much a once and done kind of event, Nintendo trying to chase it again is as doomed as it was with the Wii U.

*No offence to actual Mum's intended, but I'm sure you know the stereotype
Personal confirmation of this. The day Xenoblade Chronicles came out i went to GAME to buy a Wii and was told it was selling secondhand for 70 Poumds with 40 pounds off any games you bought with it, so basically a Wii console was 30 pounds...cheaper than a game!

More than that the first one they brought out was in a cardboard box with no instructions, I didn't much like that and asked if they had another, the response was "Plenty!" and an immaculate one was brought out for me instead. Other than smelling a little of cigarettes this Wii could have been brand new...probably used for a couple of weeks and abandoned like so many others.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
market disconnect explains every mistake nintendo makes and you think they would of learned by now

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
So a company that makes money in a HUGE way due to nostalgia, made a product that appeals to nostalgia, and didn't think that it'd be popular in an industry that's median age is 30+?

Go home Reggie, you're drunk.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Czann said:
Doubtful. Amazon pre-orders sold out within hours and I doubt there were that many available to begin with.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I don't see and issue with 2 million for launch day. The PS4 launched just before Christmas and broke records with its launch. Meanwhile, over at Nintendo, outside of the Wii, when was the last time a home console was selling absolutely well, and was breaking records at launch? The Wii was a fluke with being well advertised, cheap, having the hype of a new technology, and also being a cheap Netflix machine later in its life and allowing parents to feel like they were connecting with their kids by getting them this hot new console that would also make them work out as well. The only other area to look is Nintendo's portable market, which also wasn't selling 2 million units on launch day. So I don't see how this is going to be the Nintendo console to break records. That would be almost half the Wii U's install base on day one, why would Nintendo think that this console would be the new fastest selling console in history, without the holiday season just around the corner to help boost those sales? The PS4 and Xbox One also had Black Friday only a few weeks from their launch as well, so that also helped boost the sales numbers later in the year, and then last minute holiday buyers that brought it to being over 4 million by the end of the year. The Switch is launching in March, with the closest major holiday being Easter, and no major sales that would hit it until many months later. It just doesn't make sense to predict this to be a better seller than any other console, especially considering the hardware limiting third party publishers with what they could port over in terms of major multiplatform titles, so it won't see the crowd of people that play shooters or Assassin's Creed or those sorts of gamers because they already own a PS4, Xbox One, or PC. The Switch will survive on Nintendo and closely related publishers heavily, even the big third party title of Skyrim on the go won't be out until the fall. I say this as someone that already has it preordered, there is no reason to pick up the system at launch outside of wanting Nintendo to succeed with it, which I do because I love portable consoles.

Now, will they make enough afterwards to keep up with any sort of momentum the console may gain? That remains to be seen, but 2 million for the first day seems more than reasonable, 2 million for the first month even seems to be an acceptable amount. Remember, this isn't what they're saying will be the amount for the first few months, just what they have planned to have shipped out and have ready by March 3rd, in a month and a half from now. At my local Gamestop they seem to have roughly as many units as the PS4 had sold on the first night, maybe a little less, which makes sense. What they might need on the whole for the rest of that month or beyond will be Nintendo's job to predict, but 2 million for day one is an appropriate amount looking at history alone, and then looking at the reception for the console and the current line up for day one only helps cement that.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
pookie101 said:
market disconnect explains every mistake nintendo makes and you think they would of learned by now
Or because they are not good at it and they know it, their forte was never about online gaming and services.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
AzrealMaximillion said:
Czann said:
Doubtful. Amazon pre-orders sold out within hours and I doubt there were that many available to begin with.
To be fair, I didn't think they really would.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Jim did a good episode on this issue a few weeks back, pointing to stories of how some stores only received up to 3 of the damn things...and when the "second wave" came out, they only got one more.

No one's buying your bullshit, Reggie. We all know that this is Nintendo's new marketing scheme even if it's completely moronic in the first place. It's the same shit you pulled with the Amiibo's.

Step 1: Introduce shiny new thing that everyone is definitely going to want.
Step 2: Make 10 of the shiny new thing that everyone is going to want.
Step 3: Enjoy all the headlines of "Shiny New Thing Sells Out Literally In Seconds!" since you only made 10 of them.

Or they could...you know...make a reasonable amount of them in the first place and still sell like hotcakes. All they're doing is limiting their own profits while making money for the scalpers.

If what Reggie says is true - that Nintendo "just didn't realize that there was going to be a marketing demographic of young people" - then they are grotesquely incompetent as a company and deserve to fail for horrible understanding of the market they're in. Yeah, a lot of the older generation is going to want to take a nostalgic trip with your NES classic...but if you didn't realize that anyone with kids is going to want to get them one of these so they can be like "These were the games that I grew up with" then you're a god damn moron.

Now to be fair, I understand why Reggie was trotted out to give this lame-ass excuse. They have to say something about it, and they can't just come out and say "Yeah, we like ginning up as much hype as possible around our product to ensure that every single one we make sells, that's why we limit the quantity of our products so it seems like each one is a "I must get this IMMEDIATELY because they're selling out so fast!" kind of thing." From a PR standpoint: it's better to piss in our faces and tell us it's raining...even though everyone still knows they're pissing in our faces.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
I always find people complaining about Nintendo items scarcity funny since I've been walking past semi-full shelves of [insert Nintendo product here] at my local Target.

The weird benefits of living in podunk nowhere I guess.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
General incompetence and not understanding your fan base. Gotcha. Although it seems more likely to me they were just trying to create an artificial demand and hype, like with several of their other products.

Nintendo and their business model sucks and is insulting.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Jim did a good episode on this issue a few weeks back, pointing to stories of how some stores only received up to 3 of the damn things...and when the "second wave" came out, they only got one more.

No one's buying your bullshit, Reggie. We all know that this is Nintendo's new marketing scheme even if it's completely moronic in the first place. It's the same shit you pulled with the Amiibo's.

Step 1: Introduce shiny new thing that everyone is definitely going to want.
Step 2: Make 10 of the shiny new thing that everyone is going to want.
Step 3: Enjoy all the headlines of "Shiny New Thing Sells Out Literally In Seconds!" since you only made 10 of them.

Or they could...you know...make a reasonable amount of them in the first place and still sell like hotcakes. All they're doing is limiting their own profits while making money for the scalpers.

If what Reggie says is true - that Nintendo "just didn't realize that there was going to be a marketing demographic of young people" - then they are grotesquely incompetent as a company and deserve to fail for horrible understanding of the market they're in. Yeah, a lot of the older generation is going to want to take a nostalgic trip with your NES classic...but if you didn't realize that anyone with kids is going to want to get them one of these so they can be like "These were the games that I grew up with" then you're a god damn moron.

Now to be fair, I understand why Reggie was trotted out to give this lame-ass excuse. They have to say something about it, and they can't just come out and say "Yeah, we like ginning up as much hype as possible around our product to ensure that every single one we make sells, that's why we limit the quantity of our products so it seems like each one is a "I must get this IMMEDIATELY because they're selling out so fast!" kind of thing." From a PR standpoint: it's better to piss in our faces and tell us it's raining...even though everyone still knows they're pissing in our faces.
It goes back even farther. The Wii had this issue. Someone died trying to win one and she didn't even win it. From what I've heard they also did this with Mario 2 and Zelda 2. I remember when Earthbound came out, it was all I wanted because it came out right before my birthday. No one could find it. I lived 20 min outside of Baltimore, MD at the time. Family or relatives that lived in places like CA, NV and AZ couldn't find it. People were always saying how "it's not a big deal" or "Nintendo can do no wrong" but who's laughing now?