Nintendo Exec: Two Reasons Why Switch Won't Fail Like Wii U

Hiddelgreyk

Sep 29, 2015
LegendaryGamer0 said:
The whole thing is genius to me and something I've been wanting for quite some time and have attempted to do with the PSP and the Vita. We'll see if Iwata's parting gift to the world of video games realizes his goal of video games for everyone, anywhere, anytime.
Finally, someone else who gets it!

The Switch looks like it was made for me. Especially with its apparent focus on local multiplayer (at least more than PS4, Xbone and PC).
No online mode will ever be able to replace the experience of sitting around with a few pals and yelling at each other while playing countless hours of Smash Bros. Or Street Fighter. Or Mario Kart.

Hiddelgreyk

Sep 29, 2015
RJ 17 said:
Fun little update for those interested: Jim's latest episode was regarding a number of the "questionable" business choices revolving around the Switch. Obviously such a video would contain numerous clips from Nintendo properties, which inevitably incites a copyright claim against the video. Normally he puts in other content that would incite another copyright claim from another company, thus bringing about his "Copyright Deadlock" strategy for keeping his shows non-monetized.

Turns out this was not needed for this video, as it received two claims just by itself: one from Nintendo America and one from Nintendo Japan. That's right, folks...Nintendo deadlocked itself on this one:

Okay, that is just hysterical.

For fuck's sake, Nintendo, I love you, but please remove your head from your rectum and realize that Youtube will not kill you. Its free advertisement.

Ya chunguses.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Zontar said:
The WiiU had 3 problems:

1st is that it came out a year too soon.

2nd is the fact the marketing didn't get the message across to the normies that it was a new console instead of being the start of the half generation trend we're seeing now.

3rd is the fact that Nintendo couldn't rebuild its relationship with publishers (I don't care what they tell us as the corporate line, the WiiU's sales are demonstrably not connected to the lack of third party support).
All very valid problems, but they are small potatoes compared to the REAL reason, that the Xbox One and PS4 weren't unreliable and overpriced. The sole reasons the Wii even had a chance not to mention sold so well sure as hell wasn't the godawful motion controls, it's barely passable game library for it's entire existence, or it's vastly inferior capabilities compared to the Xbox 360 and PS3, but because of being significantly cheaper than either for quite some time making it much more affordable to consumers and the cluster**** of reliability and marketing issues Microsoft and Sony were having that made the Wii look like the better option.

Nintendo made all the same mistakes with the Wii U they did with the Wii but lacked the very very significant advantages that they had last generation because Microsoft and Sony got their act together (comparatively at least) while the Wii U didn't have the library of games to make up for it. The ongoing dick behavior by Nintendo hasn't helped one bit either.

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
Honestly, I feel like the issue Nintendo has is less to do with the products themselves, and more to do with marketing them.

With the younger demographics of gamers, to whom made up a large portion of nintendo's audience, a lot of them simply don't watch much in the way of TV, or instead use Youtube instead.

If you don't know nintendo's history with Youtube, you don't know the half of it, and it's too long to explain.

But, basically, they're trying to reach the younger aduence (Kids to young adults) via methods that simply no longer work with the same effectiveness (TV ads and novelty.), while also seriously burning any bridge to Youtube that could have existed.

And the thing is, they didn't have a reason to. Most of their first party products thrive on their gameplay and visuals; They don't make games that work off of story, like Microsoft or Sony. They don't make games that rely on massive spectacles, like Halo or Call of Duty. They make games that are good to look at and play awesomely. And that is the type of stuff that sells games, and isn't degraded by having it streamed, or played on twitch.

Not to mention making youtubers all over more or less decry Nintendo as a mediocre company, people with hundreds of thousands of viewers, more or less makes shit fall apart.

Basically, nintendo noticed a couple things on the developer side, but ignored more or less the entirety of the youtube space, which is a sizable ammount of what kids watch today.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
...Nintendo is on it's way out as a hardware producer

If this doesn't finish them off I'll be suprised - I expect a lurch back to handhelds with cooky mechanics and then silence - then Mario will be on the PS6

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
sniddy said:
...Nintendo is on it's way out as a hardware producer

If this doesn't finish them off I'll be suprised - I expect a lurch back to handhelds with cooky mechanics and then silence - then Mario will be on the PS6
Ehhh, either that or just release a whole bunch of old IP on other Nintendo consoles, rebuild a warchest and try it again. Which might explain why they don't do see to begin with, now. Think of it as a means to recapitalize that they may need as insurance for one, big future project. Honestly, people should look at this in the form of market forces. If Nintendo dies, say goodbye to dedicated games consoles. You'll lose the only innovation of what the console market is if Nintendo goes. All you'll get is cheap Pc-wannabes that offset production costs by licencing games with far reduced mod support and a penchant for quantity over quality, with endlessly sequelized garbage as its only consistent cash cow.

This is what makes Nintendo an especially tragic a thing ... they're kind of the only company that is desperately trying to make the gaming console something which PC can't do.

And that's biting them in the ass ... but what else can they do? This is all they have. They don't have other divisions like Sony and Microsoft to offset costs. And even the games console divisions for Microsoft and Sony are struggling to make a steady profit. They'll never disappear because it's an extension of their brand.

I posit another argument, Nintendo isn't a bad game company. They're innovative, they have dedicated staffers, they have experience, and they have actual vision beyond being a cheap PC. While, sure, results matter ... but I'm also going to suggest what we all secretly know ... that if any company is going to make game consoles golden again it's going to be Nintendo. I think why people are so passionate about Nintendo is secretly because all of us want Nintendo to strike a rich veing of ore even as they dig themselves deeper into what feels like an evolutionary niche already tapped as far as it will go.

Nobody wats to see Nintendo go, because it will validate the idea gamers have never wanted innovation in the market.

As much as people may scream 'stop making gimmicks' ... at the same time, nobody really wants to scream 'never change videogaming.'

(Edit) That being said, I plan to get the Switch. There's some good games that are inevitably going to be good and stuff you won't get anywhere else and I think spacing out the games is better. It's not going to have the library of other consoles, but that's better than a decent launch and then a drought with the Wii U .... whereas with the Switch we know there's big games coming to it within 2017 ... as long as they give us a big title that will consume hundreds of hours, like something meaningful like Zelda, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, etc with regularity ... if they can manage to co-ordinate with 3rd Party this time .... then I can see the Switch moving enough to be profitable on its own to make up dev costs within two years when coupled with effective licencing.

While people scream the tech is pricey, I feel like what you're getting makes up for the price of the console. But unlike the Wii U will they make the most of it? If they can make the most of it, then it won't suddenly be a gimick ... it will be something that has no other expression in the home console market.

Now ... this is optimism ... but I am willing to pay for the optimism that Nintendo can strike it big and redefine home consoles. They've proven that with portables ... can they do that again?

But at the same time I'm not going to hold it against someone not willing to pay for the optimism. I get why people are disappointed, and I can understand that as much as anyone who loves Nintendo products and will always see them as the only true console maker who is a bonafide game console maker. Though I think Nintendo might be onto something here... I feel like they're hitting enough the right notes and as always, I think Nintendo has enough loyal fans by now that as long as they deliver on some of their promises they can at least break even... and try delivering us something new once more in 4 years time.

But Nintendo has to tread a fine line here. It has to secure 3rd Party ... while simultaneously saying to them; "And you'll be the big thing for at least two to three weeks at official launch."

If they can't compete with total variety, they need to compete with quality that also balances 3rd Party desires to have market attention for longer with potential fewer consoles sold .... that's difficult.

This is why I feel Reggie made this argument to begin with. If Nintendo can't compete with total volume, they need to manage big sales better. And that's where I feel like Nintendo isn't doing so well ... they're misreading the market by assuming they don't want dead volume of various hardware, by underproducing hardware ...

They don't want to oversaturate markets they seem to have no clear idea about the desireability of their products. While people seem critical about this, try to put yourself in their shoes. Games is everything about them, but at the same time the tech they want to sell is obviously far more expensive than the buy in ... just like any other console. So where does that leave one where your must balance your budget and projections with far more caution than something big like Sony or Microsoft?

Just like any console, it gets cheaper to reproduce as time goes on. The dream goal of Nintendo is to ship only exactly as much units as they ever need to. No dead volume with more expensive tech to produce at the time. And because they're a smaller player that needs to deliver on suitabily impressive or innovative tech to compete, they also can't be spending more on reproduction of the final amalgam of their tech as their competitors.

This is why Nintendo carries this stigma of underselling products. They're kind of frightened. It's a natural response when you're the small fish competing for the exact same market as big fish. You have to be careful and that means each sale made more costly by having to showboat or create self-sustaining monopolized trends, like motion controls ... and not oversaturating your own stock if it means you're paying far more than each sale and relying on licencing.

Not only that but limited stocks drives consumption and a minor whisper of in the right journalist's ear means they come out with a headline like; "Better preorder if your want this..." when in truth you're probably going to meet demand, anyways ... it's just giving you more tools to assess real demand over hype. It's a smart little trick that might earn you a bit of notoriety, but a bit of bad press isn't so bad press when your critics say; "You done stuffed up Nintendo, people actually want your console and you're not giving it to them! ..." because that's not real criticism ... it's like stealth marketing.

This might seem sleazy and all, but try to put yourself in their shoes ... they're a small fish. Imagine you're the small fish ... what would you stoop to to compete?

At the very least it should be far more forgiveable for a small fish to do as such than a big fish. Or t put it into VG logic; "Blame the game ... not the player."