Nintendo Holds Limited-Time Pokemon Over Fans' Heads

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Why play any games if you're just going to use the existence of hacks/cheats as an excuse not to do it?

Also: how is this any worse than pre-order bonuses? Why are people raging so hard about this? Unlike pre-order bonuses at least you have a month after the launch to get it before it's too late.

Victini the Victory pokemon, huh? That'd be like if they did "Butterfree: the Butterfly Pokemon!" Rofl my socks off, huh?

Finally: this probably all just stems from the same root, people raging about Pokemon because it's the cool thing to do, but... what's with all the comments about Pokemon sucking after the first generation? I played then, gave up on the series for many years, then came back in recent years to try going through the games simultaneously with my partner. One thing I can tell you that the games haven't done, is grown stale and unchanging.

Heck, after playing Soul Silver/Heart Gold, we decided to go back and see what we missed from Pearl/Diamon/Platinum. The lack of features, such as the streamlined touch screen menus, of going from Soul Silver to Platinum made things feel almost unplayable by comparison. My partner, she plays Pearl and finds the gap even worse. And these games are all technically in the same "generation" of Pokemon, gameplay wise.

After coming back to the series I'm only amazed by the changes and refinement of the series. But I guess it's hard to buck the curve of what's trendy to bash on.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
and this is why i sometimes HATE pokemon

you can NEVER catch them all...

F%&K

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Also, shortly before...or is it after...the release of Black and White Gamestop will be giving away Celebii.

http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

(it's down there somewhere)

I've already got a Victini when I imported and I'll be getting this one too when I pick up my western versions of the game. The thing that really sucks is that by the time you pick up Victini, it's level 15 and your party will have passed that mark long before.

Steve Fidler

Feb 20, 2010
If he exists in the code, he can be hacked in. There is no way around this. Even the 'Special Event' Pokemon that are only available through IRL Events can be attained.

CHEATING PREVAILS.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
Jumwa said:
Also: how is this any worse than pre-order bonuses? Why are people raging so hard about this? Unlike pre-order bonuses at least you have a month after the launch to get it before it's too late.

Finally: this probably all just stems from the same root, people raging about Pokemon because it's the cool thing to do, but... what's with all the comments about Pokemon sucking after the first generation? I played then, gave up on the series for many years, then came back in recent years to try going through the games simultaneously with my partner. One thing I can tell you that the games haven't done, is grown stale and unchanging.

Heck, after playing Soul Silver/Heart Gold, we decided to go back and see what we missed from Pearl/Diamon/Platinum. The lack of features, such as the streamlined touch screen menus, of going from Soul Silver to Platinum made things feel almost unplayable by comparison. My partner, she plays Pearl and finds the gap even worse. And these games are all technically in the same "generation" of Pokemon, gameplay wise.

After coming back to the series I'm only amazed by the changes and refinement of the series. But I guess it's hard to buck the curve of what's trendy to bash on.
I like to think of them as free dlc for buying the game myself. there are only a small handful of event pokemon that are actually rare. mew, archius(sp?), and celebi. Mew was just given away over the summer(several months after the games were released) celebi has only been given away once in america as far as I know and they are about to do it again(at the end of hg/ss lifetime), archius has only been given away once before in america and there are no current plans to do it again.

on your second point: exactly! I dare someone to play through red/blue then play through black/white and tell me the series hasnt changed. it would literally be a night to day experience. the first games were shit compared to where we stand now.

the main aspect of pokemon is battling and it was broken in the first games compared to where it stands now. its such a refined experience with so many different pokemon that can be used in an incredible amount of strategies.

Steve Fidler said:
If he exists in the code, he can be hacked in. There is no way around this. Even the 'Special Event' Pokemon that are only available through IRL Events can be attained.

CHEATING PREVAILS.
exactly, this particular pokemon does exist on the game code, its just sitting in a room somewhere, all you need to do is use a device to get the item that lets you in there or wait until someone figures out how to break the code and let you walk through walls then you dont even have to use a device just a simple algorithm.

its even possible to basically hack the nintendo gts and give yourself whatever pokemon you want. there are tons of guides on how to do it online.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
When you've already missed out on other Pokemon special releases by a) Not being in the right country at the right time, b) Not owning every single game or c) Not caring; missing out on this one isn't exactly an incentive to buy.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Aww, come on, people.
You know there are millions of pokemon fans who will be buying the game first-thing, and this is a nice little extra for them.
The "Gotta catch 'em All!" slogan was dropped years ago, and with good reason. The fun of pokemon isn't just collecting anymore- its about collecting pokemon you like the most and having a blast with them.

Let the enthusiasts have their Veemon. Most event pokemon get released more than once, anyway.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
To be honest it's been nigh impossible since the second generation of games. In the first you could at least glitch the 151st but from then on you'd have to have travelled miles to visit certain shops with events on to have a chance.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
How is this news? Nintendo has promotion exclusive Pokemon every generation, like Mew in gen 1 Celebi in gen 2 Deoxys in gen 3, and Darkrai and Arceus in Gen 4. Why should Gen 5 be any different? How is this surprising at all?

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
Geh thanks Nintendo remind me that I don't have DS and won't be getting on in time. Oh hi Game Shark, yes I'll come to you when I get Black and DS. But anyway look a mew, you can get it in blue red and yellow by glitching the game. There's always a way.

Azmokuta

Mar 15, 2010
teqrevisited said:
To be honest it's been nigh impossible since the second generation of games. In the first you could at least glitch the 151st but from then on you'd have to have travelled miles to visit certain shops with events on to have a chance.
If you're using glitches to get Mew, it's every bit as 'legitimate' as using a cheat device.

Very few Mews were actually handed out, all of which required you to be in a certain city at the time. Now that online downloads, however, are available, it's more realistic getting your hands on legitimate event legendaries, so I'll have to disagree with your assessment.

Azmokuta

Mar 15, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
EHKOS said:
Yeeeeeaaaaaaaah I can hack my way right to Liberty Island (refrence anyone?)if I wanted that fuzzy POS. I might be able to jury rig a map editor from an early version too. I will settle for my Groundon thank you.
I'm never going to hack my games, literally everyone I know who has has a corrupted game.

I don't really want that, I think I'll go legit on this :p
I haven't hacked games since my N64's GameShark. It was fun for a little while, but it drained any sense of achievement from doing anything else in the game when the novelty of being God wore off.

Nowadays, I can't imagine using a third party device for instant rewards. I prefer to play for the ride itself, rather than whatever virtual stuff I earn from the deal.

OT: I'm looking forward to Victini. I've already decided on a (code)name: "Sailor V".

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Wi-Fi. Good. Thank you, Nintendo. Much better than that "go to a store" crap.

Drentics

Apr 3, 2010
I never saw the appeal in catching all of them. Especially the legendaries.

You get them too late in the game to use them for anything but the elite four and by then I'd rather use the team I've been building from the start than some wonky-looking new guy.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Nintendo can go fuck itself, Pokemon has become stale
And here is why you're completely wrong. http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143427p1.html
Drentics said:
I never saw the appeal in catching all of them. Especially the legendaries.

You get them too late in the game to use them for anything but the elite four and by then I'd rather use the team I've been building from the start than some wonky-looking new guy.
That's by design.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Meh. Victini isn't anything to write home about. Unlike the other Pokemon with base 100 stats across the board (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi), it has nothing to make it stand out besides it's trademark attack, V-Generate, which probably won't even be on this one, since it learns it by event and not level up. And if I REALLY want one, that's what Action Replay is for. Once the Pokemon's code is figured out (it probably already is) it takes all of like 30 seconds to use PokeSav and make one.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
Azmokuta said:
teqrevisited said:
If you're using glitches to get Mew, it's every bit as 'legitimate' as using a cheat device.

Very few Mews were actually handed out, all of which required you to be in a certain city at the time. Now that online downloads, however, are available, it's more realistic getting your hands on legitimate event legendaries, so I'll have to disagree with your assessment.
there are millions of legeit mews in the world nintendo gave it out not too long ago. it cant be traded on the gts though.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
A dirty marketing gimmick used to artificially inflate sales?
STOP THE PRESSES!

Even if PAR/Gameshark didn't exist, I still wouldn't be buying into this.

Azmokuta

Mar 15, 2010
kevo.mf.last said:
Azmokuta said:
teqrevisited said:

there are millions of legeit mews in the world nintendo gave it out not too long ago. it cant be traded on the gts though.
Oh, yes. Right now it's easier to distribute, but I was referring to generation I in the post you quoted me on, as was the person I was replying to.

I got last event's Mew hunky dory, mind you.