Nintendo is not cool

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
I really like Nintendo, and I disagree with the thing about HD graphics, I don't give a toss about graphics and I think it helped the platform. Obviously it made it cheaper but it also encouraged developers to go for a less-realistic art style for games, which is far superiour to this ultra-realistic thing everyone else is going for.

I do like Nintendo, but I use it for different stuff than my computer and Xbox.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
radioactive lemur said:
I was told this story by teachers in an attempt to keep us off of drugs. However, I think it fits this situation nicely too.

Try to imagine the coolest guy you went to school with throughout K-12. You know, the guy who had a million friends, was captain of every sports team, had all the girls he wanted, and even got good grades too, without being a bully or unlikable in any dimension besides envy. Every guy in the school wants to be him. Then, everyone goes off to college and few keep in touch. Time passes and you eventually see him on the side of the road as an unshaven crack addict whose once awesome life completely fell apart. He has no money, no girlfriend, and no one wants to be like him anymore. You have no idea what happened to him, but he is certainly not the giant you once looked up to anymore. What's even more pathetic is that he has no idea that anything changed and still acts like he thinks he's hot shit whereas he now he only smells like it.

This is the story of Nintendo. They had every advantage, cornered the market early, branded the video game world's most beloved and iconic characters, were practically the sole force in the industry for years, and then, something happened, and they were reduced to what you see before you today.
But, there still the richest and arguably influential console maker out there. And you can't fault them for ambition and innovation, even if it doesn't turn out like you planned.
I think people are angry because they see that Nintendo "betrayed" them. No, they just got another target audinence, leaving you in the hands of Microsoft and Sony.

HDi

Aug 23, 2010
radioactive lemur said:
This is the story of Nintendo. They had every advantage, cornered the market early, branded the video game world's most beloved and iconic characters, were practically the sole force in the industry for years, and then, something happened, and they were reduced to what you see before you today.
Not really sure that your analogy works here... I mean, Nintendo are cruising on a cash tsunami, they have consoles and games in millions of homes, their franchises are still all doing exceptionally well...

...in fact, it would appear that they are doing so well, that they can just turn down easy money for simple localisation jobs.

Cool or not... they're hardly comparable to a destitute crackwhore.

violent_quiche

May 12, 2011
Trixsy said:
Mehall said:
This post I'm about to make is about to become my default answer to anyone who has a problem with the Wii.

Me and a friend recently weer talking about console exclusives (we're both PC gamers, but pay good attention to consoles too) and I told him the Wii was the console with the most good exclusives.

Let's break this down, what does the 360 have?
**snip**

Add in GC backwards comparability and the Virtual console and you get essentially the full back catalogue, including so many greats I actually couldn't name them all without just linking to the shop itself.
Well if you want to list thinks like this... no more heroes is coming over to the PS3 in an HD remake, so that's no longer "exclusive", and for the 360 you forgot fable and tales of vesperia, at least. If you're going to include symphonia for the wii you should be fair and include vesperia for the 360... and the ps3 will have tales of graces as an exclusive as well as white knight chronicles.

It's not always quantity though, it's quality. A particular system might have a TON of exclusives, but if it's not what something it interested in then it doesn't matter. Having "good" exclusives is all up to opinion. :)
Surely the more relevant list is "what can you play on a HD system (PS3, 360, pc) that you can't play on a Wii?"

Assasins Creed series
Mass Effect Series
Gears of War series (the only "brown shooter" I own)
Red Dead Redemption
LA Noire
Fallout 3 and NV
Portal 1 & 2

That kinda does it for me.

I bear no ill will- I have had 4 Nintendo consoles and enjoyed hem all- and have no stake in what anyone plays. I live in a house with a 360 and a Wii: I play the 360, my son plays the Wii and we're both happy. Nintendo just don't satisfy my gaming interests any more.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
c.lavranos said:
Now with the WiiU having only 1 controller
The Wii U supports up to 5 controllers. Currently only one tablet-controller, but up to four Wii Remotes with attachments such as the Classic Controller Pro.

c.lavranos said:
and the debacle over project rainfall; I dont understand why anyone would give money to people who take us for granted?
I live in Sweden. I've soft-modded my Wii and imported plenty of American games. I know it's retarded behavior from NoA's side (which will hopefully change if Xenoblade and Last Story sell well enough in Europe), but it's really not that hard for an American to soft-mod their Wii and import from Europe.

c.lavranos said:
Oh and as for Arkham City...I'll be playing it months earlier on my PS3 thanks Reggie.
And I'll be playing it on my PC.

That said, I don't think any Sony fans complained when the PS3-version of Mass Effect 2 was announced. (Except maybe about the lack of a Mass Effect 1.)

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Nintendo is getting my money because of the great games that are exclusive to the Wii. Not to mention the Wii...

I need my dosage of Mario, Zelda, Metroid (I liked Other M...), Kirby, etc.

I'm addicted to Nintendo and I just can't get enough... >>' (please forgive me)

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Henkie36 said:
The point I'm trying to make is that Nintendo is constantly rehashing 30 year old titles, maybe with a graphic improvement, but it would be really sad if that didn't happen. The story, the characters and the objective have always been the same: rescue your dumbass princess who got her ass kidnapped for the billionth time.

So I would like to challenge Nintendo: make a Mario game which has backstory and a different stroy all together.
I wouldn't go as far as saying "rehashing", but I can see your point with Mario, and I would love to see Nintendo really work in some continuity outside of the RPGs. If they just focused on Bowser's objectives, then it wouldn't even be that hard to pull it off. His actions are similar in most of the games, but his motivation changes: expanding the Koopa Kingdom (SMB 1, 3, World, Galaxies), acquiring personal power for himself (64, Paper Mario), just wanting to fight Mario (Peach is obviously just bait in World and the New Super Mario games), or stalking Peach (The Paper Mario games, and probably Galaxies). In the Paper Mario games, he tends to be a sympathetic character, and he even occasionally dabbles in heroics (Super Paper Mario and...I think Bowser's Inside Story, but I haven't played that one yet).

They have the foundation for a good story right there; they just need to actually focus on it a bit. Really, if they just had a skipable opening cutscene and some and some notes in the bases before the boss*, then they wouldn't even need to sacrifice the flow of a pure gameplay experience or the in medias res style of the story.

*The notes could even be a good excuse for some more interesting boss fights. If the notes clued you in on how to fight them, then they needn't keep them so simple, so it could help out in the gameplay department too. You know, not that the bosses are "bad"...especially in the New Super Mario Bros. games, but there's always room for improvement.

However, when it comes to gameplay...or the Legend of Zelda as a whole (she's not nearly as bad as Peach), I stand by my picture.

jacobythehedgehog

Jun 15, 2011
sms_117b said:
I was never a Nintendo kinda guy (except Pokémon), SEGA all the way!

I can see you're point, Nintendo do try to do something different quite a lot, doesn't always work, but I don't think they've messed up consistently frequently enough for no-one to give them any money.
Oh Yeah SEGA!!!! I still play my Dreamcast a bunch, I have actually in the past year played my Dreamcast more then I've played my wii since I got it.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
For me, I coudn't take nintendo seriously after they changed the name of their seventh generation console from the badass sounding "Revolution" to the easily mocked "Wii".

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
jacobythehedgehog said:
sms_117b said:
I was never a Nintendo kinda guy (except Pokémon), SEGA all the way!

I can see you're point, Nintendo do try to do something different quite a lot, doesn't always work, but I don't think they've messed up consistently frequently enough for no-one to give them any money.
Oh Yeah SEGA!!!! I still play my Dreamcast a bunch, I have actually in the past year played my Dreamcast more then I've played my wii since I got it.
Ah...the Dreamcast. Good times. Unfortunately, I only ever owned the Sonic Adventure games, but I'm hunting down my DC's parts so I can get the many other classics for the system.

Im Phelpsing It

Jun 15, 2011
I think Nintendo will always (primarily) be focused on children's games. What they made 'back in the day' had that impact on us because we were kids. Nowadays, I can't force myself through a 120-star run of SM64, but I can get through the most monotonous shooters.

Our generation is growing up, and Nintendo has moved on to the kiddies of today.

If you do ever have to play the Wii, I recommend SSBB or Mario Kart.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
c.lavranos said:
I bought a Wii for my parents to use exclusively for Wii sports, and have not been impressed by any of the games released for it - almost every title imo would have been improved with HD graphics and a good control.
I can't think of any Nintendo game that would have been noticeably improved by HD graphics; their games have good gameplay and well designed graphics and that's all that really matters, HD would make little difference.

As for the controls, I agree that regular controls would improve their games but I don't think the motion controls ruined any of Nintendo's games. It's mostly down to the developer to make the motion controls work well.

Trixsy

Jun 1, 2011
violent_quiche said:
Trixsy said:
Mehall said:
This post I'm about to make is about to become my default answer to anyone who has a problem with the Wii.

Me and a friend recently weer talking about console exclusives (we're both PC gamers, but pay good attention to consoles too) and I told him the Wii was the console with the most good exclusives.

Let's break this down, what does the 360 have?
**snip**

Add in GC backwards comparability and the Virtual console and you get essentially the full back catalogue, including so many greats I actually couldn't name them all without just linking to the shop itself.
Well if you want to list thinks like this... no more heroes is coming over to the PS3 in an HD remake, so that's no longer "exclusive", and for the 360 you forgot fable and tales of vesperia, at least. If you're going to include symphonia for the wii you should be fair and include vesperia for the 360... and the ps3 will have tales of graces as an exclusive as well as white knight chronicles.

It's not always quantity though, it's quality. A particular system might have a TON of exclusives, but if it's not what something it interested in then it doesn't matter. Having "good" exclusives is all up to opinion. :)
Surely the more relevant list is "what can you play on a HD system (PS3, 360, pc) that you can't play on a Wii?"

Assasins Creed series
Mass Effect Series
Gears of War series (the only "brown shooter" I own)
Red Dead Redemption
LA Noire
Fallout 3 and NV
Portal 1 & 2

That kinda does it for me.

I bear no ill will- I have had 4 Nintendo consoles and enjoyed hem all- and have no stake in what anyone plays. I live in a house with a 360 and a Wii: I play the 360, my son plays the Wii and we're both happy. Nintendo just don't satisfy my gaming interests any more.
I agree with you there. I did enjoy my wii at first, and I'm still keen on all the games I've accumulated for the DS, but when it comes to console gaming there just isn't anything for me anymore. I've had a PS3 for awhile and I recently got a 360 and I love them both. Being late to the xbox party is fun since I have a lot to discover now :)

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
*headdesk*

*headdesk*

*headdesk*

Despite the fact that they made MOTHER and Golden Sun, Nintendo is hated throughout this site.

WHY? F*CKING WHY!?

~Tom</3

Trixsy

Jun 1, 2011
penguindude42 said:
*headdesk*

*headdesk*

*headdesk*

Despite the fact that they made MOTHER and Golden Sun, Nintendo is hated throughout this site.

WHY? F*CKING WHY!?

~Tom</3
I can't speak for everyone but for me... Operation Rainfall.
Three games I was looking forward to, three games I would actually play on my wii... and they're not coming to America. They're being localized in Europe even, but we're not getting them (at this point).

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Im Phelpsing It said:
I think Nintendo will always (primarily) be focused on children's games. What they made 'back in the day' had that impact on us because we were kids. Nowadays, I can't force myself through a 120-star run of SM64, but I can get through the most monotonous shooters.

Our generation is growing up, and Nintendo has moved on to the kiddies of today.
Why is it I can never resist these threads? First of all, everybody read this quote, memorise it and accept it. Nintendo has always been a toy company with a market aim of children. They are the "Lego" of the gaming scene. Their products have always been aimed at kids with adults as the perifery demographic. The reason everyone in this thread is annoyed at Nintendo is because instead of accepting this, they think Nintendo should serve them and only them. Personally I put it down to Gamers being unable to accept their hobby could be considered kiddy, but thats an argument for another thread.

With regards to other comments people have made:

HD Graphics - I've been playing games in HD on my PC for decades. Its really not that great. A shiny piece of turd is still a turd and I'm glad Nintendo prefer to focus more on gameplay.

Rehashing the same characters - Yes they do for 2 reasons. The first is that each time Nintendo release one of their heavy hitters, its with the assumption their target audience (8-12yr olds) were too young when the last one was released to have played it. The second is that in Japan the focus is more on refining an idea rather then continually striving for something new. This is why in a lot of Japanese series, while some details change, the core idea stays the same.

Operation Rainfall - Hardcore gamers abandoned Nintendo in droves because they felt Nintendo was betraying them by going for another market after many had already abandoned them for being "Kiddie" in the Gamecube era. Now those same gamers are annoyed that Nintendo isn't trying to win them back. Personally, while I sincerely doubt it, I wouldn't be surprised if NOA were not releasing these games purely out of spite going "You ditched us so you ain't getting our shiny things"