Nintendo labo discution

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Alright, I finally got my hands on a nintendo labo kit, the variety pack. right now, i've played with the house, the piano and the RC cars.

First, let me clarify something. I mostly build the house myself, and the RC car, but my 5 years old daughter build about 90% of the piano on her own. i was just playing the instructions for her and gave her advices.

Is it worth the price ? absolutely. I spent almost 3 hours of quality time with my oldest daughter just building the piano, and almost one hour with my other daughter building the house before she gave up and that i finished myself. then, until now they have play with either the house or the piano for at least 5 or 6 hours. so right now the game costed me about the same of two movies at the movie theatre, but game be probably twice the amout of time of two movies.

The gamers for each toy cons are suprisingly deep. there's things to unlock, the piano and especially the studio portion of the game is really complex. The house may have a little less in it, but my kids are playing with it all the time. The building portion of the software is really easy to follow, like i said my 5 years old daughter had no trouble understanding it, and the toy cons are really well constructed.

The cardboard itself is quality. the pieces are easy to remove and to bend. the finished product is sturdy and quite robust. yes sometimes my daughter manage to brake something already but everything is rally easy to repair with tape and glue.

So far i think the thing have great potential. Anybody else have tried it ? does your mind have change about the product now that we know how it work ?

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Nintendo want to charge me ?70 for some cardboard tat. They can fuck right off.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nice that your kids liked it but as someone without infant children I'll give the $70 cardboard die-cut a hard pass. Opportunity cost's a *****.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
To preface, I own a Switch, but am not interested in Nintendo Labo. Mostly because I don't care much for crafts, nor do I have children.

But back when they announced it, I recognized it as something parents and young children can do together. Sure it's essentially $70 for cardboard, but I can imagine a nice sunday afternoon doing stuff with the kids is worth that to many parents. And cathou's OP seems to tell me I'm right. She didn't so much pay for cardboard, but for quality time.

And it's not like there is a wealth of quality games out there to serve that 'parents with young children' demographic. Although that may change if Nintendo Labo proves successful, and more and more gamers grow up and have kids of their own.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Catfood220 said:
?70 for some cardboard tat
Johnny Novgorod said:
$70 cardboard die-cut
Chimpzy said:
Sure it's essentially $70 for cardboard
I see this a lot, and I wonder if the software (games, the piano studio, etc) is ever considered in the price tag? Because if I recall correctly Nintendo is selling replacement parts and boards for $2-12 depending on the part as well, so surely it's closer to $25 or so for the kit, and the rest covers the software for everything else? I dunno, just a thought.

@OP, would this kind of thing seem fun for an adult as well? Cause it seems neat as hell, and I'm quite curious how much enjoyment can be gained as someone in their mid-20's

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
The only reason i care is because im laughing at grown men lose their shit over a cardboard box.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Elvis Starburst said:
Catfood220 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
$70 cardboard die-cut
Chimpzy said:
I see this a lot, and I wonder if the software (games, the piano studio, etc) is ever considered in the price tag?
not on this website.

$70 for cardboard is pretty much as deep of a discussion as you'll ever get on this forum.

I'm quite curious how much enjoyment can be gained as someone in their mid-20's
i don't own labo and probably won't pick it up until i see it cheaper in a christmas discount sale. the RC Cars and the Huse don't look very interesting. that motorbike game looks pretty cool though. i'd like to try that sometime.

cathou

Apr 6, 2009
Elvis Starburst said:
Catfood220 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
$70 cardboard die-cut
Chimpzy said:
I see this a lot, and I wonder if the software (games, the piano studio, etc) is ever considered in the price tag? Because if I recall correctly Nintendo is selling replacement parts and boards for $2-12 depending on the part as well, so surely it's closer to $25 or so for the kit, and the rest covers the software for everything else? I dunno, just a thought.

@OP, would this kind of thing seem fun for an adult as well? Cause it seems neat as hell, and I'm quite curious how much enjoyment can be gained as someone in their mid-20's
like i said, i didnt build the moto or the fishing rod yet. the house for an adult would probably get boring within 30 minutes. the piano is far more complex, but it's not really a game. it would last between maybe 5 to 10 hours if you are into music playing ? the base piano is pretty simple, but there's a studio section where you can record tracks, there a rythm cars that you can punch holes into to add a rythm section. the rc car is fun for a couples of hours. let's say that for an adult, if you are into arts and craft you can get maybe 15 hours of fun including the garage part where you can program your own contraptions. So yes you can have fun with it if you are an adult that love this kind of things, but you will get bored much faster than a kid.

Yes, you pay more for the software than for the cardboard. the instructions themselfs are really well made. it show you every step, you can play and rewind at ease, you can zoom, turn the camera around the piece you are working with the understand what you have to do. then the mini games are fun for what they are. Currently Nintendo is not selling remplacement cardboard, but they explain a couple of time to keep the empty card board once you are finish, because you can use them as stencyl to cut out pices from another cardboard (incidently, the box itself is made from the same exact cardboard so you have 2 whole sheet out of it already. They also explain how to repair the thing (glue and tape) but also some piece that break more easily i guess are in double some of the sets.

the only dowside for me is that i used to play sometimes in the evening while the kids were playing or watching tv, but now they always want to switch for themselves !

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
gigastar said:
The only reason i care is because im laughing at grown men lose their shit over a cardboard box.
Are you kidding? The only reason we stop playing with cardboard boxes is cause it gets less and less likely you will buy something with a big enough cardboard box to get in, as you get older.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Worgen said:
gigastar said:
Are you kidding? The only reason we stop playing with cardboard boxes is cause it gets less and less likely you will buy something with a big enough cardboard box to get in, as you get older.
If you have ever been to a storage unit you would know thats not true.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015

Yeah not interested. It's a crazy stupid idea. And if you need to spend 70$ in cardbord to spend quality time with you're kids, you have failed as a parent.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Why would I give Nintendo around $70 for a bunch of cardboard and software that is limited to their cardboard when I could spend about $10 to get 3-4 flat packed cardboard boxes and build my own fort? Answer is you don't and I like my fort.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Lufia Erim said:
It's a crazy stupid idea.
it ain't a stupid idea if Nintendo is able to make money off of it.

now if you're calling the people that buy it stupid, that's another matter entirely, and pretty subjective too.

cathou

Apr 6, 2009
Lufia Erim said:

Yeah not interested. It's a crazy stupid idea. And if you need to spend 70$ in cardbord to spend quality time with you're kids, you have failed as a parent.

This review is pretty stupid actually. i dont think you can review this product as you would do for another game. it's a flop because it fail to beat far cry 5 ? well duh... It's something that they hope it will catch on the long run, but nobody expected high sales at launch. it's more a christmas thing.

70$ for a kid toy, is not that high. i've seen a pinball machine in cardboard for 50$, a pretty small lego set is 30$. going to see one movie at a movie theatre with two kids and two adult can go to 50$ easily. So the dollar per hour of entertainement is not that high.

And durability, well cardboard have the advantage to be very easily repairable. So if it's break, replace the broken part with a home made one, use tape and glue to repair it. And i have reckless kids, they broke things, but they havent broke this to the point of non repairability. but a plastic toy, can often break easily and cannot be repair.

As for you comments, well, yeah if it's the only way you get quality time with your kids, i guess you have a problem, but as one activity out of many that give you quality time with your kids, i dont see why it should be bad. Granted it's not for everybody, but it's a neat idea for the market they try to reach with it

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
When I first saw the trailer for it my first thought was of it's potential as an educational tool.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Lufia Erim said:

I would say if you're NOT willing to spend $70 on cardboard to spend quality time with your children you've failed as a parent. Seriously, as someone who's not a parent, never wants to be a parent, even I can see just how crucial and important something that brings family together is.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Yoshi178 said:
Lufia Erim said:
Just because an idea was successful doesn't mean it wasn't stupid. I could be successful at taking a dump in my hand and spreading it all over the bathroom walls, but doing so would still be a stupid idea.

Yoshi178 said:
now if you're calling the people that buy it stupid, that's another matter entirely, and pretty subjective too.
Of course it would be subjective. That's what an opinion is....

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Qizx said:
Lufia Erim said:

I would say if you're NOT willing to spend $70 on cardboard to spend quality time with your children you've failed as a parent. Seriously, as someone who's not a parent, never wants to be a parent, even I can see just how crucial and important something that brings family together is.
I didn't say willing, i said need. Reading comprehension dude.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Yoshi178 said:
Lufia Erim said:

This is true. Yoshi 1 Lufia 0. Let's see if it will make them money. I will say it is an Crazy idea then.