Nintendo Now Saving Children's Lives With the DS

w@rew0lf

Banned User
Jan 11, 2009

[sub]What?! Nintendo found another way to print make money?[/sub]​

Truly Ground-breaking.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
As a Nintendo fanboy I can't help but feel all of these life-friendly add ons and training programs are putting a strain on Nintendo's future in gaming; I mean, is the DS still a portable game system or has it become an electronic trainer???

The Singularity

Jun 3, 2008
Delusibeta said:
While I applaud the initative to get more young diabeties sufferers to test their blood glucose levels, I can't help but think that the attached game doesn't sound very good. Especially if you don't have diabeties.
Yeah... If you don't have diabetes do you have to just cut yourself to unlock the bonuses? Thats kinda scary...

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
It's an interesting idea. Obviously aimed at those younger kids who don't really understand the severity of their condition. It would be nice to see some better games released.
Either way, I shall be telling my friend she must buy this. It's a cool idea, and could the teachers take your DS off you if doing so may kill you?

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
Other than the fact that its only available in Ireland and the UK, and the fact that Its only available for the DS, its a great idea. I keep waiting for GameEqualsLife to get an end product finished, but it never seems like its going to happen.

I'm 36 and a diabetic, and I know that I spend a portion of everyday doing something mindless or pointless. Instead of looking at facebook again, or doing mafiafarmpokerfishvampirewars, I would gladly check my blood sugars and play some quick simple game.

Especially if it finally gives me some advantage points wise over all you freakin normal people! LOL

Phase_9

Oct 18, 2008
I think this is a great idea.

People are motivated by scores, unlockables, achievements and the like. This could help get more lax kids to take their glucose level, and the idea of using videogames to motivate self-treatment could work for other diseases.

radred

Jul 7, 2009
Snotnarok said:
The made a game/thing to help people with...that isn't supported by Nintendo anymore since they're making DSi, DSiXL and DS3D since they have no GBA slots...Isn't that about as useful as making this for the NES at this point?
completely agree

and whilst it is a good idea i can't see it being very effective or widespread.

SoxFan96

Mar 16, 2010
Being a type 1 diabetic I find this to be just plain stupid. A kid will not check his blood glucose (sugar) levels more often because he gets points. You should not test because you want more "points". You should test because you want to stay safe.

I know guys who have gone months without testing their sugar levels and ended much worse for wear because of it. I know another kid who has been in 4 seizures and bit parts of his tounge off in one. They should not test because they want points, they should do it so they don't go into a god damned comma and possibly die. They would not have done anything different if thishad been out.

Stuff like this kinda makes me mad. I really doubt it will help
any kids at all. When I was diagnosed (age 10) I tested and covered food not for any one else. I did it to keep myself safe in the long run. My cousin is also diabetic and so is my sister neither of them take care of themselves for any reason other then to stay safe. I find this to be a cash in for worried mothers who find their kids do not care. Trust me, if they do not care a game is not going to help. If they do not care they might also be suicidal. [/rant]

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
SoxFan96 said:
They should not test because they want points, they should do it so they don't go into a god damned comma and possibly die.
I agree from a practical standpoint, but the reality may be that some kids just don't quite understand the danger. This is no different than any other kids health gimmick that tries to make mundane tasks fun (like all those crazy toothbrushes out there). I don't think it's a perfect solution, but if it helps some people, then it's worth it. The important takeaway here is the use of gaming outside of a typical gaming context, something that may be able to solve problems of motivation in many areas of life.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
For bleep's sake, will someone either find a way to make add-ons that use the SD slot or create an adapter that allows the SD slot to use Advance-slot add-ons already?!

ZakCanard

Anas Charisma
Oct 17, 2007
Callate said:
For bleep's sake, will someone either find a way to make add-ons that use the SD slot or create an adapter that allows the SD slot to use Advance-slot add-ons already?!
If only it were that simple. In order to do that you'd need a firmware update and maybe some hardware tinkering to enable SDIO support.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
"Breaking News. Boy exsanguites himself into a semi-popular video game, losing nearly 3 liters of blood. "I must get....all...points and extras and stop Carnie Cal".
The makers of the videogame claim that it was never explicitely said to bleed out, just encouraged. Is this the new milestone of videogame violence, demanding your childs blood for "points"? Are videogames the work of satan? Many americans say..yes."

Holy crap, really? That was fast

omoto

Feb 22, 2010
PayJ567 said:
What like a horrible painful death isn't incentive enough to check your blood sugar levels?
Well, try telling a 5-year old kid with diabetes that he has to check his sugar levels, otherwise he'll have a horrible painful death. Nothing traumatic at all, right.

Honestly, I believe this is a game aimed at children. It's a nice idea, doubt it will work though - can't really see this thing selling well.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
It has to be better than Captain Novolin. Although to be honest, didn't they already do this type of thing with the GBA?