Nintendo NX Revealed As Nintendo Switch

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Bethesda's supporting Nintendo?! That was on the book of Revelations somewhere, the apocalyps's near.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
It looks neat but is it still going to have that asinine region locking all Nintendo consoles have had? That is a make or break issue for me.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Johnny Novgorod said:
Somebody please illuminate me on this - doesn't the Wii U already function as a handheld/home console already? What's new here?
The Wii U Gamepad works as a second screen for the Wii U games, it's completely asymetrical, but it features Off-TV play, where you can play with the TV turned off, but the console needs to be on and it only works within a certain range. This one shows exactly what would show on the TV and doesn't appear to require the console.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Yay... finaly you will be able to play skyrim on a nintendo console.. you know... withoud free modding.. (free as to mod it however you want and not what the corporate overlords allow you to use) with shitty graphics... a 5 year old game that everyone has allready played either on PC or on the other consoles...

Well atleast this time they seem to have made a console without any stupid annoying gameplay gimmicks that developers are forced to somehow cram into their games, thats a start. Thought i wonder about the hardware seeing that its a portable device too doesnt bode well for its capabilities as a current gen console.

Somehow.. i doubt this is enough to get nintendo going on the console market again...

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
You know what? This console intrigues me. Though what I want to know is:

- How many non-Mario/Zelda/Whatever games will be avaliable during launch time? Because Skyrim is fine and dandy, but nobody is going to buy Switch JUST for that.

- Will Big N drop their stupid region-locking?

- (optional, but still) Will it play 3DS games/have 3DS games in online shop with them being retroactively freed from region-locking for this device?

- Nobody buys Nintendo consoles for powerful hardware, but I would still want to know what we are dealing with. So far, looks that it is at least comparable to PS3/Xbox360.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
This sounds cool,

But thing that worries me about the system is its power. Because if it's not to a similar level to the Xbox One or PS4, Then it's practically dead in the water before it even comes out.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
That's pretty fucking neat. I love handhelds, so if it's not too pricy, I'm in.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I have to say, it looks pretty good. Certainly inventive with the amount of applications that seem possible. It does raise questions as to how much battery life this thing will have. Overall it looks like a much more clever and efficient Wii-U. My interest is piqued, so kudos for that Nintendo.

Now let's see what kind of games this thing will actually have, because I have absolutely zero confidence any third-party support.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Well, we'll see how well it plays (and how much it costs).

Jan 27, 2011
Looks good. Let's see what the battery life is like, and how many of those devs actually make quality games for the system.

Only time will tell, but it looks promising, at least.

Dornedas said:
Or maybe they are just trying to help cargo pants some in style.
That would be the BEST upside to the Switch. I want pants with lots of pockets and BIG pockets to be in style!

I hate having tiny little pockets when Shorts Weather is over! >: (

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
McMarbles said:
Skyrim on the go.
But it's unmoddable (I assume), which makes me profoundly sad. If Nintendo allowed it to be modded for the NX on top of its new portability, that would be something amazing to behold [footnote]and would have both MS and Sony rethinking their own modding policies[/footnote]. I'm not holding my breath though.

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
I don't think the switch is going to be that bad graphics wise. Nintendo is using a custom chip from Nvidia using their latest gpu architecture.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Other then the Joycons and the Pro Controller looking odd, I'm sold day 1. Especially if that new Mario plays like 64 and less like 3D World.

And I'm also making it my Icon now.

Segadroid

Apparently a Premium Member now
Mar 20, 2009
It seems like Nintendo is trying to merge handheld gaming and console gaming into one system, which might not be the best thing to do; handhelds are generally built with a compact button layout, while consoles have a wide sturdy controller base to hold on to with grouped buttons. The Switch seems to pick-and-mix from either side, potentially crippling itself to be decent at either one. Not to mention the amount of individual parts that can break.

I can see this being popular on college campuses and the occasional friend's night out, though. We might be sitting on an untapped niche this machine can fill.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I'm not really sure how to feel about this. On one hand, I like it. I'm probably a minority when I say I genuinely enjoyed the WiiU gamepad. The off screen gaming was great. My only worry here is the specs. It's a tegra processor, but that's all we know. We don't even know if the screen is a touchscreen. What's the battery life? Does the docking station give a processing power boost? If not, then games will look pretty bad on the TV. And if it does, I'm really interested in the way it does it.

I love the design of the whole thing. It really looks nice with the screen in the docking station. I don't like the default, screenless controller. Looks like a fat Ouya controller. With the screen in the middle, it looks much better.

Also I really dislike the d-pad on that thing. I mean, holy shit Nintendo, you have the patent for the best d-pad and you decide to go full retard for something like sharing the same controller? Really? At least the pro controller has your classic + style d-pad. And while I enjoyed the WiiU pro pad, I'm kinda glad you switched the right side position to be like the on the Xbox controller. Though it looks more square-ish. and less ergonomic.

With it coming out and EA being on the supporter list once again, maybe they will release the Titanfall 2 game on it. I highly doubt that, but it could happen, right?

Igor-Rowan said:
Bethesda's supporting Nintendo?! That was on the book of Revelations somewhere, the apocalyps's near.
I was like "haha, Nintendo is making an open world RPG that looks like Skyrim all the way until they actually said it's Bethesda. I didn't think this would ever happen.
While I'm not a fan of new Bethesda games, a lot of people are and I'm happy that other Nintendo fans that like them will be able to enjoy their games without having to turn on their PC or PS4/Xbone.