Nintendo NX Revealed As Nintendo Switch

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
CaitSeith said:
Well, we'll see how well it plays (and how much it costs).

Yeah, that's pretty much my reaction. I mean, does anyone remember the launch of the WiiU? Everyone got hyped, everyone thought this was the new big thing, a bunch of third-party developers said they were going to support it and all loved the system (you know, the usual PR bullshit), and then it sold about as well as aged toe cheese. The running joke of the industry the Vita has sold more units than the WiiU, and I think the same is going to happen here. There might be more of a spike in sales at the start and Nintendo might drag in more non-gamers than last time if they market the thing right, but with the media decidedly anti-gaming instead of saying the Wii cures cancer and people like Oprah handing out consoles to her cultists (I mean audience) and the ubiquity of smart phones, the Switch is going to end up abandoned by both developers and gamers because it's going to be underpowered and probably filled with touch-screen or some other dumb gimmickery. Plus if gamers are bitching about resolution and not having the shiniest graphics and the smoothest framerates possible on the PS4 and Xbone (and their upgrades), then I can't wait to see the number of torches and pitchforks brought out against the Switch. But then again, I suppose it IS Nintendo, which means no matter how lackluster the system is or how big of bastards they are, there's a fairly large group of people who will defend them to the death.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I don't want to use mobile data for the video.

Does the system use cartridges/data cards?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
-Dragmire- said:
I don't want to use mobile data for the video.

Does the system use cartridges/data cards?
It seems so. The video shows someone inserting a data card-like game cartridge into it.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Well I guess it makes sense in Japan to go this route. Home consoles are on the decline and smart phone outplay any handheld. So trying to combine home consoles and handhelds could be way out of the predicament for some time.
I wait and see...

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Kibeth41 said:
TheScorpion said:
This sounds cool,

But thing that worries me about the system is its power. Because if it's not to a similar level to the Xbox One or PS4, Then it's practically dead in the water before it even comes out.
Just like the 3DS..

Oh wait..
Perhaps I should've rephrased that. I didn't mean battery life, I mean if this isn't capable of running the most anticipated multiplatform games of this year and the next, Then Nintendo's fucked.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
LysanderNemoinis said:
CaitSeith said:
Well, we'll see how well it plays (and how much it costs).

Yeah, that's pretty much my reaction. I mean, does anyone remember the launch of the WiiU? Everyone got hyped, everyone thought this was the new big thing, a bunch of third-party developers said they were going to support it and all loved the system (you know, the usual PR bullshit), and then it sold about as well as aged toe cheese. The running joke of the industry the Vita has sold more units than the WiiU, and I think the same is going to happen here.
I'm... just gonna focus on this part of the comment because the rest of it seems pretty axe-grindy.

Anyway, to be fair, I for one stand by the opinion that one of the major factors behind it selling like ass is Nintendo going "lol, we're Nintendo, it'll sell. Advertising, what's that??" Between them not spamming ads nearly as much as the Wii (or even the 3DS), the redundant and confusing name, the lack of any heavy hitter titles (aside from Mario, Smash and Splatoon surprisingly) until way late into its life cycle, and pretty much giving up on it in its last few years, plus developers apparently jumping ship because of the gamepad... the WiiU ended up having a lot of stuff working against it, a good chunk of it being Nintendo's fault.

It's not gonna be the 2nd coming of Jesus, but chances are they'd have to actively attempt to have it do as lackluster a job as the WiiU did. Time will tell though.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Now we can finally have fanboys being adamant, that this is actually the start of the new console generation and not the Xbawks 2.0 or PS5.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Looking at the controller

I couldn't help but be reminded of this beast :)

Intrigued by this. Can't wait for more details to come out. Would love to know if it's backwards compatible with the Wii U and 3DS, particularly the 3DS as I never bought one

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
2 steps forward, one back.

Getting away from the gimmicks is a good thing, and combining handheld and console gaming in as plug and play as possible (and without buying the game twice I'm looking at you Sony) has been something gaming's needed for years.

Then you get to the actual hardware and you get a needless jigsaw puzzle. I mean, they make it look cool, but I see I'm not the only one seeing components that can easily wear down (losing connection), get lost, or break, rather than have the controls attached to the portable and supply a wireless controller, not just a dock. Design philosophy has rarely been nintendo's strong suit, and this looks like another "didn't think ahead" moment.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
That controller just looks uncomfortable. Someone should've hired an ergonomics expert to help design that abomination.

Or maybe someone will put out a decent third-party controller that does the trick.

But now that I can finally see the fabled NX, I'm cautiously optimistic. Nintendo isn't going overboard on the gimmicks this time, so the only things that remain to be seen are performance specs and a price point. If those are reasonable, I might be convinced to buy a Nintendo console for the first time since I had a GameCube.

They just better not make my 3DS obsolete. I'm still getting a fair amount of use out of that.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Okay someione's gotta say it. WHat's the battery life on that thing gonna be like?
Am I hyped. Not really. Not really. Why? Because. I have the brains to know there's going to be a high turn over on broken/damaged handhelds It's basically a gameboy with less secure grips.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
Redd the Sock said:

Getting away from the gimmicks is a good thing, and combining handheld and console gaming in as plug and play as possible (and without buying the game twice I'm looking at you Sony) has been something gaming's needed for years.

Then you get to the actual hardware and you get a needless jigsaw puzzle. I mean, they make it look cool, but I see I'm not the only one seeing components that can easily wear down (losing connection), get lost, or break, rather than have the controls attached to the portable and supply a wireless controller, not just a dock. Design philosophy has rarely been nintendo's strong suit, and this looks like another "didn't think ahead" moment.
I mostly disagree, just because I personally think the feature of splitting the Joycons to use it as two player/join up with another for ad-hoc 4 player is just straight up brilliant. Seems like the perfect product for some on the go fun that you can share with friends or keep to yourself. This is the first Nintendo console that I think I've ever been more than cautious or critical of certain things, because it all seems very well thought out.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm kinda pissed the only controller that looks actually good is an additional accessory you have to buy.

Dec 16, 2009
how powerful could a handheld be? Nothing against handheld but it aint my thing and I doubt it'll look good on a big TV.
TheScorpion said:
Perhaps I should've rephrased that. I didn't mean battery life, I mean if this isn't capable of running the most anticipated multiplatform games of this year and the next, Then Nintendo's fucked.
Couldn't agree more, especially since they already own the handheld scene
MonsterCrit said:
Okay someione's gotta say it. WHat's the battery life on that thing gonna be like?
someones said it on page 1. 5 someones actually

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Nintendo seemed to have nailed the initial pitch on this one. Colour me very interested. If the price is reasonable and the battery life is decent then I'd have qualms buying into the Switch.

And for once it looks like a release console is actually aesthetically pleasing. Really like the design of the docking station. Although I'm getting urge to eat some toast for some reason :p

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Weaver said:
I'm kinda pissed the only controller that looks actually good is an additional accessory you have to buy.
Wait until you actually get to hold one. It might well be much better than it looks, and it doesn't look that bad.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The third-party support list, at this point, is promising. I certainly like the idea of being able to play Skyrim on a plane trip with a single, portable device.

Battery life is going to be an issue. The Wii-U's controller's battery life is infamously poor. There's a variety of points that need to be addressed along those lines: the battery must be replacable, and with relative ease, and it really ought to have some sort of charger that works with the kind of power that may be available on hand, ideally something USB-based; failing that, a secondary power source like an external battery is going to be a must. Two to three hours of play is not going to cut it.

I'm less concerned than many seem to be about the product being flimsy. Nintendo has specialized in making products that stand up to the abuse of six-to-twelve-year-olds for a while now; I don't think they've suddenly forgotten all the lessons they've learned between the GameBoy and the New 3DS XL. A product with interlocking pieces that breaks the forty-seventh time you try to snap something into place seems somehow unlikely.

What I've heard suggests some sort of Nvidia Tegra-based technology, and cartridge-based games. It probably isn't going to compete directly, power-wise, with the PS4 or XB1, but reduced loading times (vs. optical media) could offset that somewhat. If it can handle Skyrim- especially remastered Skyrim- it probably has enough overhead that only the "it has to play at 4K at 60fps" crowd is going to care for a while. But cartridges also likely mean no mods and minimal space for players building custom worlds in the "Minecraft" mode. It also somewhat throws digital distribution into question. It may be that it will have a hunk of internal RAM and/or an SD or micro-SD slot, but even a 128GB card fills up pretty quickly when one is talking about Skyrim-sized games, let alone Infinite Warfare-sized ones.

What we've been shown shows promise. I hope Nintendo has its ducks in a line on this one. The market is stronger and more diverse for having Nintendo as a part of it.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Lillowh said:
Redd the Sock said:

I mostly disagree, just because I personally think the feature of splitting the Joycons to use it as two player/join up with another for ad-hoc 4 player is just straight up brilliant. Seems like the perfect product for some on the go fun that you can share with friends or keep to yourself. This is the first Nintendo console that I think I've ever been more than cautious or critical of certain things, because it all seems very well thought out.
I said they make it look cool. I'm just worried about durability over time and use. Like the 3DS, at first the stylus fits in nice and snug, a year later it you take it out too much the plastic wears down enough it can fall out on its own. I've also had issues with the shoulder buttons and hinges over the years. I can see the comedy bit now: somebody using it as a handheld, and the screen falls out and breaks while they hold the controller sides.

And while I get what they're trying to do for multiplayer (make sure not everyone needs the system to play), multiplayer around a single 6 and half inch screen .... I sense problems.