Nintendo Patents In-Game Walkthroughs

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
I still like this idea. It's just a tutorial system that could take place anywhere within the game world, for any specific task by automating functions normally performed by the player.

I still dislike the fact that they've *patented* it though. I sure as hell still plan to use it in my games, have planned prior to now, and have seen prior designs that are similar enough.

Why are people frothing that "oh games will play themselves, oh it's so damn casual"... who cares? They're trying to prevent anyone else using the same technique in their games. That's reprehensible, whether you agree with the technique or not.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
I think this is a great idea! Just imagine that you invite your friends over to check out this AWESOME boss fight or action sequence, but you realize you didn't make a save or there aren't enough save slots to save just before all the cool parts. Now you can just skip ahead to that part to show people! Twenty hours on a second playthrough to get back just became about five seconds.

Maybe you're just worried that you won't be able to brag about beating a super hard game anymore or that you did a speed run. Who says that this isn't just for the easiest difficulty? If you beat that game on Super Insane mode, your achievement still stands as impressive.

I really don't see the drawback here. It's a patented idea that may or may not come to fruition and allows Nintendo to make games with some real challenge without getting sued for controller tossing accidents. My girlfriend can skip the spider boss because spiders freak her out. Everybody wins.

Well, I may be wrong about the drawback. Here's hoping they don't go all walkthrough nazi and decide that gameFAQS is infringing on its patent.

cah318ery7

Aug 8, 2008
MaxFan said:
Also, aren't patents normally granted for actual items or inventions and not merely ideas? Isn't that what a copyright or trademark is for?

EDIT: they use the term invention over and over in the application, but this is clearly an idea.
Well, I believe someone managed to patent the proper way to swing on a swing set, so I don't find it that surprising.

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
Sounds like taking the play out of the game. I would never use this myself.
It will turn hardcore games into casual games...
I don't know if you can patent something like this either.

I3uster

Nov 16, 2008
I dont get the problem here, finally we there is a way to avoid the dumbdown of games without pissing of the complete idiots who play games on easy difficulty, and everybody gets mad about it?

Oh, i get it, its nintendo...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I3uster said:
I dont get the problem here, finally we there is a way to avoid the dumbdown of games without pissing of the complete idiots who play games on easy difficulty, and everybody gets mad about it?

Oh, i get it, its nintendo...
No no no, if it was Sony then....

Nah, I'll stop there. But it seems to me that Nintendo are really taking this whole "everyone can play!" thing way to seriously. Not everyone wants their hand hold or watch someone else play their game, otherwise why should they play when they can see the ending anyway? That, and as someone said before, this could be used as an excuse for bad level design.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
I can't believe how many people are missing the point of this feature, or decrying it as something terrible, or even conceiving a way in which it could possibly be used to ruin a game experience.

In all likelihood, this feature will only be used by choice, by those who need it. It will cost nothing, and it will allow people who are inexperienced with video games to understand how to beat them. As far as I know, features quite like this have never been implemented (together) in a video game before. But I'm wondering about what boundaries a patent like this would have, because it doesn't seem like the sort of idea you could patent. Elements of it have been around in many games, as other people have noted.

Anyway, as far as I can see it, the only valid concern one could possibly have about such a feature, is that it will make new generations of gamers less tolerant and perhaps less proficient at playing video games; and the current generation is already worse than the previous generation. I'd like to see a couple of 13 year-olds wrestle with Contra or Final Fantasy (the original) for a few hours and see where they get. This will make many people think less, but ensure that anyone who takes advantage of it can enjoy their game fully.

It's obvious that this is a step in the right direction; the only thing unclear is how big this step will be, and how long Nintendo will walk on the path for.

I3uster

Nov 16, 2008
It will only start to piss me of whne games continue to get dumbed down and easier, even WITH these features.

Kage Me

Jul 10, 2008
I don't like the thought of skipping chapters, but the other two seem like nice additions.