Nintendo: Petitions "Don't Affect What We Do"

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Neronium said:
While I agree that listening to all fan-petition is not wise business wise at all, however completely disregarding them is a complete and utterly stupid move. Also, the fact that it really wouldn't be hard to localize games, especially since it was localized in Europe before the US so all that had to be changed was the games being reprinted for US discs, because Nintendo obviously isn't gonna be getting rid of region locking soon.
Yeah, this is pretty much it. I mean, you can't really expect a company to be like "Oop, guess there's a 100,000 strong petition for us to do something, guess we have to do it". But Nintendo's track record of listening to customers hasn't been great, in all honesty. And it needs to be better if they're set on region locking their stuff.

Edit: Grammr

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Anybody remember when petitions were for various forms of government and not for whenever a game doesn't get released on PC or whenever zelda doesn't have enough ben drowned references or whenever there's a minor glitch in any game ever?

Of course they're not basing their decisions on petitions. They're not a state government. They're not forced to. I can't believe I'm using this word, but it's making people seem really unnecessarily entitled.

It's one thing that a game gets a broken release. It's another thing entirely to pretend to be an activist when you just want english versions of rare JRPGS.

Sep 13, 2009
The Apple BOOM said:
The Almighty Aardvark said:
Also agreeing with you on the Wii U's X game. It's the only reason I'm even entertaining the idea of a Wii U, and as such I'm really hoping that it finds some way to another console release.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith_Soft

Nintendo owns them. Currently, seeing X on any other platform has as much of a chance of happening as Bayonetta 2.
Yeah, honestly I can't say I had much hope for that considering how tightly Nintendo holds their exclusives. I guess I'll have to settle for option two: hoping that a Wii U suddenly appears in my home sometime after its release

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Yeah, honestly I can't say I had much hope for that considering how tightly Nintendo holds their exclusives. I guess I'll have to settle for option two: hoping that a Wii U suddenly appears in my home sometime after its release
you say that like Sony or Microsoft are any different with their exclusives

anyway, sounds like normal business to me, given how many times gamers have said 'oh yeah, I'll totally buy that' and then didn't, it's not surprising they give a low priority to petitions.

though the N-haters grasping at any extra reason to hate on Nintendo is amusing though

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
StewShearer said:
It's not hard to see what people like petitions on the internet.
Um, shouldn't "what" be "why"?

Covarr said:
There's (minimal) cost in converting the game from PAL back to NTFS (or in applying the UK translation to the Japanese NTFS version), there's a minimum number of units they can manufacture in a single run, and they need to be sure that it will sell enough to pay for pressing the discs, as well as packing and shipping all of them. Even instruction booklets can get costy.
I think you mean Pal to NTSC (NTFS is file system format, which is kinda unrivaled now as FAT is dead). And if they bothered to program their games correctly (as in not do first grade programmer mistakes by locking game to refresh rate) there would be no costs. In this decade there is absolutely no reason to have region locks other than incompetence.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Do as you please, ***** ***** *****. Cave to demands, you either didn't cave enough or you caved too much.

I say stick to your guns. Not everyone will like you for it but it's far more respectable than folding and failing for it.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Dead Century said:
Nintendo needs to wise up. Their traditional core franchises don't have as much relevance as they used to. If they were smart, they would have waited. Imagine if the Wii U had launched with X and Super Mario 3D World.
I have a pretty good idea.

SM3DW: It's a great game and all, but I'm not going to buy an entire system for a single game.

X: Exhibit a: Lol, what the fuck is that?

Exhibit b: I'm not going to buy an entire system for two games

Exhibit c: Eh, I don't care about JRPG's.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Karadalis said:
And in the end cost them the Wii U cause everyone who bought the Wii got seriously burned by the lack of "real" games, what with all the crap shovelware games that drowned the entire Wii lineup beneath it.
Shovelware exists everywhere, on all systems. Has since the dawn of consoles.
There's been few to no "real games" on the WiiU; and that more than anything has driven demand down; not the Wii. (though your assertion works for "core" gamers; not so much the casuals that made the Wii a successful fad.)

The days where zelda, metroid and mario alone sold a nintendo product are long gone. To bad nintendo doesnt realize it.
I'd be willing to believe that if a gaggle of Mario Zelda and Pokemon didn't save the 3DS.
Compare 2011 3DS sales to present; notice how it starting selling well right after the blitz of THREE sodding Mario games.

It works, and they know it.

Fairy Fatale

Mar 7, 2013
The more salient point here is that online petitions do not accurately gauge the interest in a given topic. Just because a fan wants a thing does not mean that it's a good idea to indulge that wish, financially or otherwise.

Whether fans want to admit it or not, these are companies and to continue being companies, they need to look at their financial bottom line. I have no doubt that they take a look at online interest when making a decision, but it's not a causal factor. There's a big difference between the two.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Strazdas said:
StewShearer said:
I think you mean Pal to NTSC (NTFS is file system format, which is kinda unrivaled now as FAT is dead). And if they bothered to program their games correctly (as in not do first grade programmer mistakes by locking game to refresh rate) there would be no costs. In this decade there is absolutely no reason to have region locks other than incompetence.
You're right, I meant NTSC. But yeah, even Nintendo's guilty of this sometimes. The PAL version of Pikmin 2 Wii can't be forced to NTSC like most Wii games. For a long time, the only way to play Pikmin 2 Wii in English was to have a TV that supported 50hz.

P.S. Thanks

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
MinionJoe said:
BNguyen said:
...the millions that they would lose in developing a product, advertising it and finally paying back the developers, artists, graphic designers, etc. ...
Found the problem! Companies shouldn't spend "millions" on a title that only has a potential for 100,000 sales. Matching expenses to demand is the only way to make a profit.

It's disturbing to see the AAA mindset is affecting not only the companies, but also the consumers.
and it's disturbing to think that people want a business be a charity rather than, you know... a business
when you act like an entitled gamer, do you deserve the product when you bug the living crap out of a company by complaining that they aren't making the product you want? No.

Sep 13, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
you say that like Sony or Microsoft are any different with their exclusives

anyway, sounds like normal business to me, given how many times gamers have said 'oh yeah, I'll totally buy that' and then didn't, it's not surprising they give a low priority to petitions.

though the N-haters grasping at any extra reason to hate on Nintendo is amusing though
Yes, but you'll see games crossing over between Ps3, Xbox and PC. Even ones that are initially exclusive titles, while it's not as common. On the other hand you have Nintendo, which is pretty much Exclusives: The Console. Almost every game on the Wii and Wii U has been exclusively on the Wii or Wii U. The only exceptions I can think of are the games that they ported over from the Ps3 and Xbox onto the Wii U right when it came out.

And I'm far from a hater of Nintendo, they've made quite a few great games. Yet, the Wii U and Wii are crap. It would take a lot of great games on the Wii U for me to consider buying the console, and even then it'd be very begrudgingly. I'm not a fan of how consoles are sold by holding exclusives hostage, and Nintendo takes that to 11 with the worst console and the most exclusives

EDIT: Even the 3DS, which I excluded in my previous post, isn't great hardware. I haven't met anyone who ever uses it with the 3D, it's not very technically powerful, and the shape is even inconvenient as the corners dig into your hand with prolonged use (with me at least). All it has is good games. The PS Vita is a far better device, but it has far fewer good games on it. I'm pretty sure most people would get a Vita if all of the games between them were released on both of their consoles

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
Karadalis said:
And in the end cost them the Wii U cause everyone who bought the Wii got seriously burned by the lack of "real" games, what with all the crap shovelware games that drowned the entire Wii lineup beneath it.
Shovelware exists everywhere, on all systems. Has since the dawn of consoles.
There's been few to no "real games" on the WiiU; and that more than anything has driven demand down; not the Wii. (though your assertion works for "core" gamers; not so much the casuals that made the Wii a successful fad.)

The days where zelda, metroid and mario alone sold a nintendo product are long gone. To bad nintendo doesnt realize it.
I'd be willing to believe that if a gaggle of Mario Zelda and Pokemon didn't save the 3DS.
Compare 2011 3DS sales to present; notice how it starting selling well right after the blitz of THREE sodding Mario games.

It works, and they know it.
The Wiis entire lineup consisted of shovelware kept for the odd JRPG and ofcourse nintendos own brands of the ever same old metroid, super mario and zelda games.

Everything else where games not worth the medium they where printed on.

Atleast with other systems the shovelware is somewhat kept in check, but with nintendos consoles its like a never ending onslaught of crap.

And the reason their handhelds keep being successes is a) sonys Vita isnt a real alternative b) it has well established 3rd party support (seriously the DS had some amazing 3rd party games in and outside of japan) and c) they pretty much got the market cornered. Its also aparantly alot cheaper to develope for the 3ds then it is for the vita. Furthermore the ease of use compared to the Vita can also not be underestimated. The developers that where around during the DS time simply imigrated to the 3DS. The 3DS has the vita totaly outmatched, something that cannot be said for the Wii U and its competition.

Also note that most worthwhile 3DS games also come out of japan, the big western publishers and dev studios dont even bother with the handheld market.

However I was talking about brick and mortar kinda consoles, stuff you place in your living room. And in that perspective the Wii U simply has no meaning, the entire market outside of japan will focus around Xbox and playstation PLUS support from asian dev studios.

Take dark souls for example.. its going to come out even on PC.. but not on the Wii U... and the same will be true for many more titles that will be available on ps4 xbox one and PC.. but again not for the Wii U. Or bethesda games... or Bioware games.. or any other big name games.. none of them are planned for the Wii U.

The Wii U is just not relevant in the big scheme of things and its sales numbers reflect that. Even in japan itselfe the Wii U has abysmal sales numbers compared to its competition.. and they only came out last month

The casual gamers that made the Wii such a success went with their iphones and tablets, they dont need nor want a Wii 2.0 they allready have a Wii.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Karadalis said:
The Wiis entire lineup consisted of shovelware kept for the odd JRPG and ofcourse nintendos own brands of the ever same old metroid, super mario and zelda games.
It's really more Mario Zelda and Pokemon, thanks to Other M killing what momentum Metroid had going for it. That, and if you actually count the number of Metroid titles to date, it's actually quite niche despite being touted as a derivative Nintendo mainstay.

Everything else where games not worth the medium they where printed on.

Atleast with other systems the shovelware is somewhat kept in check, but with nintendos consoles its like a never ending onslaught of crap.
Funny, every time I've entered the checkout aisle at a big brick and mortar chain for the last 6 years, I've seen shitloads of shovelware not just for the Wii, but the DS, PS3 and especially the Xbox 360. Just sitting there, all aisles, right down the lane. Not just in one store, but EVERY store like it (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Sears and Gamestop prior to 2012)

Sure, the Wii had more Shovelware by proportion because of its abysmal 3rd party support, yet it succeeded anyway by riding the coattails of Nintendo's 1st party offerings and nothing else.

Which was my point in response to the person I quoted. Once Nintendo rolls out a blitz of the usual crap, it'll get going, just like the 3DS.

And the reason their handhelds keep being successes is a) sonys Vita isnt a real alternative b) it has well established 3rd party support (seriously the DS had some amazing 3rd party games in and outside of japan) and c) they pretty much got the market cornered. Its also aparantly alot cheaper to develope for the 3ds then it is for the vita. Furthermore the ease of use compared to the Vita can also not be underestimated. The developers that where around during the DS time simply imigrated to the 3DS.
To be blunt, I think you are GROSSLY EXAGGERATING the presence of quality 3rd party titles on the 3DS.
I'm not being sarcastic or snide either, because I've been searching, CLAWING for a reason to justify my 3DS's existence, and I'm well past giving a single fuck about anything Mario, Zelda or Pokemon. I use it as an MP3 player and little else.

So, outside of Nintendo, There's what? A bunch of ports of games from Konami, Capcom, and Atlus. But more noticeably, very few original works of note from those same companies. And they're the biggest 3rd party supporters of the 3DS.

As for the Vita...it doesn't matter.
I'm talking about why the 3DS succeeds in relation to Nintendo's strategy, not why Sony fails.

(Sony really should just open it up for user development at this point, because as a mobile device it's a very good piece of hardware for mobile gaming. It has the processing power of smartphones with a better GPU, and more importantly, ACTUAL FUCKING CONTROLS)

Also note that most worthwhile 3DS games also come out of japan, the big western publishers and dev studios dont even bother with the handheld market.
Agreed, though that's because western AAA publishers don't see handhelds as their own platform, but as either:

1) Mini-consoles to make some extra cash with AA versions of their franchises.
Alas, smaller productions are going the way of the Dodo with big publishers.

2) A doomed prospect of a platform because it has to compete with Tablets and iPhones.
(A very false dilemma to believe, given that handhelds don't really have to compete with either. Mainly because as gaming devices, tablets and iPhones are crippled by their total reliance on touch controls).

However I was talking about brick and mortar kinda consoles, stuff you place in your living room. And in that perspective the Wii U simply has no meaning, the entire market outside of japan will focus around Xbox and just the playstation PLUS support from asian dev studios.
Fixed that for you. Japan hates the Xbox as a brand; they see it as an intruder.
It has sold like shit compared to the domestic systems since its inception.

Take dark souls for example.. its going to come out even on PC.. but not on the Wii U... and the same will be true for many more titles that will be available on ps4 xbox one and PC.. but again not for the Wii U. Or bethesda games... or Bioware games.. or any other big name games.. none of them are planned for the Wii U.
Well, yeah. Nintendo has all but flipped third parties the bird for nearly a decade now.
The Wii was dirt cheap to develop on, easy to learn because it was the same language as the Gamecube, and had an enormous install base; the only reason AAA even glanced sideways at it because outside of that, it offered AAA nothing.

And with AAA slowly crumbling under the weight of burgeoning production+marketing costs for their regular games, there's no way they would do serious business releasing to a platform that extensively denies them the ability to milk customers for DLC, service fees and microtransactions. Nevermind that the weak WiiU hardware would make ports even more embarrassing than they were from the PS3/360 to the Wii.

The casual gamers that made the Wii such a success went with their iphones and tablets, they dont need nor want a Wii 2.0 they allready have a Wii.
Well, I can actually agree with that to a degree.
I maintain the Wii was a fad and overwhelmingly useless console for core gamers like myself.

Jun 20, 2013
That was a bang-up way to comment on the company relation to online-petitions. Maybe if the company involved itself in those petitions, with "considerate" disregard, they could salvage the generation. Nintendo, listen to the gamers and give into their calls. Their wallets are ripe and tender, just look out the window. Shhhh, shhhh, shhhh just let it happen.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Lo Flying Frying Pan said:
That was a bang-up way to comment on the company relation to online-petitions. Maybe if the company involved itself in those petitions, with "considerate" disregard, they could salvage the generation. Nintendo, listen to the gamers and give into their calls. Their wallets are ripe and tender, just look out the window. Shhhh, shhhh, shhhh just let it happen.
so basically they need to kiss the asses of the entitled gamers just to make a handful of sales rather than develop something that a larger portion of the gaming population would want, and in the end, go into the black in developing costs and employee paychecks making something that probably wouldn't sell that good anyways. The thing about these entitled gamers is that they can't agree on what they want from a game. There is no middle ground with them - basically the same as political parties, make one group happy, and another throws a hissy fit.