Nintendo: Petitions "Don't Affect What We Do"

Jun 20, 2013
BNguyen said:
Lo Flying Frying Pan said:
That was a bang-up way to comment on the company relation to online-petitions. Maybe if the company involved itself in those petitions, with "considerate" disregard, they could salvage the generation. Nintendo, listen to the gamers and give into their calls. Their wallets are ripe and tender, just look out the window. Shhhh, shhhh, shhhh just let it happen.
so basically they need to kiss the asses of the entitled gamers just to make a handful of sales rather than develop something that a larger portion of the gaming population would want, and in the end, go into the black in developing costs and employee paychecks making something that probably wouldn't sell that good anyways. The thing about these entitled gamers is that they can't agree on what they want from a game. There is no middle ground with them - basically the same as political parties, make one group happy, and another throws a hissy fit.
Maybe you're right, but I wish that Nintendo would consider the market desire of the niche. Smaller development projects could be launched to satisfy those pools. I'm definitely not saying roll-out the "grand bloated-budget cyclo-tron 9000", but there has to be a way for a company like this to cash in on smaller groups of voracious consumers. Also, starting petitions to plead for sequels isn't really all that as it is a tad goofy. Sometimes the petitions come off a wee bit zealous, but not entitled. I can personally think of a million things I'd petition for long before videogames. But I suppose that asking for something is not the same as demanding it.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
BNguyen said:
That was a bang-up way to comment on the company relation to online-petitions. Maybe if the company involved itself in those petitions, with "considerate" disregard, they could salvage the generation. Nintendo, listen to the gamers and give into their calls. Their wallets are ripe and tender, just look out the window. Shhhh, shhhh, shhhh just let it happen.
so basically they need to kiss the asses of the entitled gamers just to make a handful of sales rather than develop something that a larger portion of the gaming population would want, and in the end, go into the black in developing costs and employee paychecks making something that probably wouldn't sell that good anyways. The thing about these entitled gamers is that they can't agree on what they want from a game. There is no middle ground with them - basically the same as political parties, make one group happy, and another throws a hissy fit.
Maybe you're right, but I wish that Nintendo would consider the market desire of the niche. Smaller development projects could be launched to satisfy those pools. I'm definitely not saying roll-out the "grand bloated-budget cyclo-tron 9000", but there has to be a way for a company like this to cash in on smaller groups of voracious consumers. Also, starting petitions to plead for sequels isn't really all that as it is a tad goofy. Sometimes the petitions come off a wee bit zealous, but not entitled. I can personally think of a million things I'd petition for long before videogames. But I suppose that asking for something is not the same as demanding it.
really, I think it'd be good for Nintendo to expand - maybe develop smaller versions of their games to be played on tablets or iphones or whatever, but for Nintendo to see adequate turnaround from developing something like that, they'd need to be in control of their own tablet device and not be at the mercy of another company - exactly the entire reason I'm against Nintendo becoming a slave to other developer companies like Sony or Microsoft. Sony and Microsoft don't seem very interested these days in developing colorful, all-encompassing titles, sure there may be a few here and there, but most always seem to be from EA, Ubisoft and etc. which seem only intent on making sequels that really just feel like DLC in terms of difference from one game to the next. Each company seems to follow their own trends - Sony with shooters (for the most part), Microsoft with multimedia and sports games, and Nintendo with pretty much everything else (seeing as how you don't see too many platformers, puzzles, or party games on PSwhatever or Xbox), and these people that say Nintendo should just switch to being a third party developer I don't think see that if they won't buy the games on one console then what makes them think they'll buy it on one they don't even play similar games on. Like, why buy Mario on PSwhatever if you don't play platformers? Why buy Fire Emblem for Xbox if you don't play strategy games? and so on and so forth.

Jun 20, 2013
BNguyen said:
BNguyen said:
really, I think it'd be good for Nintendo to expand - maybe develop smaller versions of their games to be played on tablets or iphones or whatever, but for Nintendo to see adequate turnaround from developing something like that, they'd need to be in control of their own tablet device and not be at the mercy of another company - exactly the entire reason I'm against Nintendo becoming a slave to other developer companies like Sony or Microsoft. Sony and Microsoft don't seem very interested these days in developing colorful, all-encompassing titles, sure there may be a few here and there, but most always seem to be from EA, Ubisoft and etc. which seem only intent on making sequels that really just feel like DLC in terms of difference from one game to the next. Each company seems to follow their own trends - Sony with shooters (for the most part), Microsoft with multimedia and sports games, and Nintendo with pretty much everything else (seeing as how you don't see too many platformers, puzzles, or party games on PSwhatever or Xbox), and these people that say Nintendo should just switch to being a third party developer I don't think see that if they won't buy the games on one console then what makes them think they'll buy it on one they don't even play similar games on. Like, why buy Mario on PSwhatever if you don't play platformers? Why buy Fire Emblem for Xbox if you don't play strategy games? and so on and so forth.
I certainly would hope that they'd expand, but they need quick action. It seems like everyone is grinding the axe on the Wii-U and are quick to pounce on pr gaffs. But, expansion begs the question of necessarily what kind and level? They've managed to at times make hardware choices that leave me scratching my head, but ultimately they've shown a brazen degree of venture in their efforts. A matter that has endeared me to no small amount. Aside from the tenuous life-span of their current console, I'm adamantly invested in their handhelds. I still put mileage on my 3DS, but I'm often confounded by a lack of any rigorous gaming experiences with it (excluding any recent Zelda titles cough-cough). A nagging feeling of lacking multiple options of software-content gluing me to the device. They're left to either develop fresh, smash-hit IP's (risky risky risky), or acquire third party development. They've been notoriously bad at brokering the later. However I do sense some companies have maliciously stink-eyed Nintendo for not going with the bland-oatmeal-of-battle-duty and vomited out a generic "game-box-station." This leaves me wondering if Nintendo should just cave to smaller party calls and become a ladle for the aforementioned niche and petition-markets. I'm convinced that expansion into those regions could prove lucrative if they step cautiously and with deliberate acts.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
That's fine. Petitions (especially the online sort) are highly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

100,000 people want a new Earthbound? So fucking what. 100,000 is tiny, a drop in the bucket of what is expected of game sales today.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Covarr said:
Strazdas said:
StewShearer said:
I think you mean Pal to NTSC (NTFS is file system format, which is kinda unrivaled now as FAT is dead). And if they bothered to program their games correctly (as in not do first grade programmer mistakes by locking game to refresh rate) there would be no costs. In this decade there is absolutely no reason to have region locks other than incompetence.
You're right, I meant NTSC. But yeah, even Nintendo's guilty of this sometimes. The PAL version of Pikmin 2 Wii can't be forced to NTSC like most Wii games. For a long time, the only way to play Pikmin 2 Wii in English was to have a TV that supported 50hz.

P.S. Thanks
Nintendo is guilty for it, but so are plenty of other developers. The latest COD has the same problem. Thing is, the only excuse for this is incompetence of programming to begin with. So should not be allowed.
As for TVs supporting 50HZ, in matter of universalization of the process almost all TVs sold in last few years support both 50 hz and 60 hz frequencies so this would be a problem with old TVs only i guess. But people are slow to change their TVs it seems. apperently a lot of people still use SD TVs (myself included, though my first TV hasnt been turned on in 5 years now and my second TV is inherited and is turned on once a week only, monitors FTW)

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
People need to realise that compaies are not run by democracy. You have no way of judging what a petition will actually translate into in terms of sales and businesses need to make decisions based on whether or not ventures are commercially viable.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
TizzytheTormentor said:
Is it bad that I bought a Wii-U purely with the Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem cross-over in mind? Don't get me wrong, I have Wind Waker HD, Super Mario Bros U, Deus Ex and SM3DW and all are great, but the only thing on my mind going to pick up my Wii-U was that cross-over...
There is never anything wrong with buying a console for a single game if you really want it that much. Hell, I bought the 3DS last Christmas because I knew the next Pokemon game was going to be on the 3DS and I wanted to be able to get that game the first day (granted I ended up getting a lot more good games that I never thought I would like along the way.)

I was basically just making a hypothetical scenario of what would happen if the Wii U launched with just X and SM3DW. It would literally be the exact same sentiment across the web. Only difference is that they might get more sales than now.

Honestly, Nintendo shouldn't blindly accept what the internet wants, I recall the director of Pokemon openly mocking people who requesting silly ideas for games like have all regions, but only 1st gen Pokemon and other such nonsense.
Which was basically what Reggie was saying in the article. He never said they never listen to petitions. All he said was that they take a lot of consideration into these things, and often times what the petitions are asking can potentially be a waste of money and time for Nintendo.
Which...shouldn't be a surprise because I'm pretty sure every company would say that if you asked them that same question.

People than took that as confirmation that Nintendo ignores their fans completely.

As for the Pokemon thing, I'm not surprised Ken Sugimori mocked them eventually. Gamefreak get's harped by the same "Genwunners" every single damn time they make a new Pokemon generation. They were the most annoying around Generation 5.
They for the most part never bought a single games since Red/Blue Gold/Silver and often claim that they will NEVER buy a new Pokemon game until they get rid of the "bad" gens, keep their nostalgia tinted 1st gen, and maybe make it an MMO because that's the "in" right now.

Oh no. I'm ranting again. Crap.

ClanCrusher

Constructive Critic
Mar 11, 2010
Let's assume for a moment that Nintendo is being completely straight up with us, that they don't pay attention to petitions or feel that a hundred thousand people expressing interest in a game is any indication of what potential sales figures might be. Let's just take them at their word and assume that they really are that cynical.

If all of that is true (and I have to express a bit of skepticism in that), why oh why would you tell your fans that? As many in this thread have already pointed out, signing petitions is relatively simple and straightforward, and those that get enough momentum tend to spread to news sources like The Escapist, and then the news bandwagon takes off and suddenly everyone knows about the game.

But if you suddenly tell them that petitions don't matter to you, then what reason would your fans have to even bother with them in the first place? All of a sudden you lose out on that free publicity, and for what? So that you can tell your fans that their interest doesn't matter?

You claim you don't use petitions to make decisions, fair enough. I'm pretty sure that everyone on some level knows that a hundred thousand signatures on a piece of paper is only ever going to be a small factor in making marketing decisions, but what exactly do you hope to accomplish by telling everyone that? Near as I can tell, the only thing that will change is people won't bother, and then a small marketing tool (which, again, is free) suddenly becomes non-existent.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
This actually sounds pretty reasonable. Just because people sign a petition doesn't mean they'll actually go out and buy it (kinda reminds me of the MW2 'boycott', albeit flipped around) and Nintendo aren't going to go to all the effort and cost of distribution for only a few sales. In the real world and not the self-centered fantasy land that some gamers seem to live in, that's sensible business, not 'not caring about fans'.