Nintendo President Sees a System for Every Demographic

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Xanthious said:
Nevermind Nintendo hasn't made a console that has had the smallest bit of appeal to core gamers since the fucking SNES.
I find it funny that people think the NES and SNES were hardcore consoles, back then games were made for and aimed at children. The only thing that has changed is us, Nintendo has been doing the same thing for decades and refusing to evolve.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GreatTeacherCAW said:
I honestly don't see that lasting for very long.
Core gamers want to play on tablets. If you disagree, YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, remember when Nintendo swore the Game Boy Brand wasn't going anywhere, and the DS would be a third tier? For some reason, this article reminded me of it. Not sure why....

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
D0WNT0WN said:
Xanthious said:
Nevermind Nintendo hasn't made a console that has had the smallest bit of appeal to core gamers since the fucking SNES.
I find it funny that people think the NES and SNES were hardcore consoles, back then games were made for and aimed at children. The only thing that has changed is us, Nintendo has been doing the same thing for decades and refusing to evolve.
I beg to differ. The NES and SNES both had a shit ton of games that if were made today would be targeted directly at core gamers.

On the NES there is the original Final Fantasy, any of the Dragon Warrior series, the original Metal Gear, Star Tropics, Shadowgate, Maniac Mansion and more I can't recall right now on the NES.

On the SNES you had Final Fantasy II and III, Populus, Sim City, Ogre Battle, Earthbound, Harvest Moon, Lost Vikings, Out of This World, Seventh Saga, Breath of Fire I and II, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Shadowrun, and many MANY more. I'd argue the SNES was a system that was very much aimed at the core gaming crowd just as much as it was aimed at kids. I'd go so far as to argue the SNES has had the MOST games of any Nintendo console that were aimed at the core gaming crowd.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
cursedseishi said:
Then you are ignoring the initial sales and reception to the system. Yes yes it sold after a large permanent price-cut, not surprising. But at it's initial price? IT was abysmal.
Not to mention the contrition they offered to the people who already bought it. Probably hurt quite a bit.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Xanthious said:
D0WNT0WN said:
Xanthious said:
I beg to differ. The NES and SNES both had a shit ton of games that if were made today would be targeted directly at core gamers.

On the NES there is the original Final Fantasy, any of the Dragon Warrior series, the original Metal Gear, Star Tropics, Shadowgate, Maniac Mansion and more I can't recall right now on the NES.

On the SNES you had Final Fantasy II and III, Populus, Sim City, Ogre Battle, Earthbound, Harvest Moon, Lost Vikings, Out of This World, Seventh Saga, Breath of Fire I and II, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Shadowrun, and many MANY more. I'd argue the SNES was a system that was very much aimed at the core gaming crowd just as much as it was aimed at kids.
How old were you when you first played the NES and SNES?

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
If Nintendo keeps the Wii and DS around for a few years, I will approve of it.
If Nintendo also gives New Super Mario Bros WiiU (or New Super Mario WiiU World or whatever silly name it gets) a level editor and online level sharer, I will love it.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
D0WNT0WN said:
How old were you when you first played the NES and SNES?
I was in elementary school/jr high school during the NES and I zero interest in ANY of the games I listed until much much later. However, the SNES I played through High School and a bit in college and while the SNES did have games that today we would say were aimed at the casual crowd it had a massive amount of what would today be considered be classified as core games. The SNES was THE system for gamers up until the PSX started to gain steam.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GreatTeacherCAW said:
What are you babbling about?
These forums are so friendly.

Wasn't that how the Wii went?
Wii never really had solid support, and part of that was the inferior hardware. Nintendo's already got both halves of that licked, though whether or not it lasts is another question. They're getting the jump by having the superior hardware, even if just for a year, and they've already lined up more support this time around.

Then again, the 3DS seemed to have better support for third parties at launch, and it bombed before the price cut and major contrition element, so who knows.

Dammit, you made me get serious.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Xanthious said:
D0WNT0WN said:
Xanthious said:

On the SNES you had Final Fantasy II and III, Populus, Sim City, Ogre Battle, Earthbound, Harvest Moon, Lost Vikings, Out of This World, Seventh Saga, Breath of Fire I and II, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Shadowrun, and many MANY more. I'd argue the SNES was a system that was very much aimed at the core gaming crowd just as much as it was aimed at kids. I'd go so far as to argue the SNES has had the MOST games of any Nintendo console that were aimed at the core gaming crowd.
Archon. You cannot forget Archon.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
Thats a Sega franchise, not a Nintendo one. And they're making a third one for PsN and XBLA.
*rubs eyes* Thanks mate, I was well aware of that. Sega has been known to release titles exclusively to the Wii, and first party titles aren't the only thing capable of being released on it you know.

If they're making a third one for the PSN that's great, fingers crossed it doesn't suck.

iamnotincompliance

Apr 23, 2008
Genesis
Nomad
Game Gear
Saturn

Yeah, four systems can coexist for a time. It's just a really bad idea for four systems from one company to coexist at the same time. You DO remember what happened to your rival from the 90's when they had four simultaneous systems, right, Nintendo?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
That's all well and good, but I'm still not buying either until there are games I want to play bad enough to merit purchase. Step it up, Nintendo, and create something so I can give you my money!

Like...Paper Mario. Or a new Mother Game. Because, flat out, I'd buy a 3DS and two copies of that mofo, right there.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The Wii for the poor people.

The WiiU for our fanboys.

The 3DS for our other Fanboys.

And...

The 360 PS3 and Vita can all be used as paper weights! :D

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
Eri said:
The Wii U will have specs comparable to 6 year old systems? UNPOSSIBLE. Nintendo has been a giant disappoint for so long now.
Latest "known" dev. kits.

*Quad Core, 3 GHz PowerPC-based 45nm CPU,
*768 MB of DRAM ?embedded? with the CPU, and shared between CPU and GPU
*Unknown, 40nm ATI-based GPU

Since the only quad core IBM manufactured at 45nm is POWER7 architecture,that means that the cpu is pretty decent actually.
POWER7 is the latest IBM architecture,featuring HyperThreading as Intel?s Core i7 does.
The processor is LOT stronger than the one in the xBox 360.

There is a difference between dram and edram. EDRAM is A LOT faster than the dram. the xBox 360 has only 10.5 mb edram, while the WiiU has 768 MB. If my math is correct, the WiiU has around 73 times more edram than the xBox 360.

The information for the graphics card is too general?
But we do know is that WiiU will have a 5XXX graphics card.Because AMD (Ati) jumped at the 40nm process with the 5XXX series.

The "known" specs. of the WiiU show that it will be a lot stronger than the current gen.
According to the "leaked" info, it should be able to play the current games in 1080p with 60 FPS without a problem.

I haven't be disappointing by Nintendo for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time. I got everything I expected from Nintendo, a lot of fun playing games on their systems.
I'm not sure if there is anything that confirms what I'm about to say, but I've also heard that the WiiU will be running 1440p or even 1600p.

I don't recall who it was, but one of the dev with a WiiU kit mentioned how the WiiU graphics are superior. He might have been talking about texture mapping, but with superior mapping must come higher resolution, right?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
So long as Nintendo keeps putting out the games I want I'll buy their systems.

But having four out for release at a time; well the comparisons to Sega were already made. The Big N had better be careful with how it plays things for a bit.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
Eri said:
The Wii U will have specs comparable to 6 year old systems? UNPOSSIBLE. Nintendo has been a giant disappoint for so long now.
Latest "known" dev. kits.

*Quad Core, 3 GHz PowerPC-based 45nm CPU,
*768 MB of DRAM ?embedded? with the CPU, and shared between CPU and GPU
*Unknown, 40nm ATI-based GPU

Since the only quad core IBM manufactured at 45nm is POWER7 architecture,that means that the cpu is pretty decent actually.
POWER7 is the latest IBM architecture,featuring HyperThreading as Intel?s Core i7 does.
The processor is LOT stronger than the one in the xBox 360.

There is a difference between dram and edram. EDRAM is A LOT faster than the dram. the xBox 360 has only 10.5 mb edram, while the WiiU has 768 MB. If my math is correct, the WiiU has around 73 times more edram than the xBox 360.

The information for the graphics card is too general?
But we do know is that WiiU will have a 5XXX graphics card.Because AMD (Ati) jumped at the 40nm process with the 5XXX series.

The "known" specs. of the WiiU show that it will be a lot stronger than the current gen.
According to the "leaked" info, it should be able to play the current games in 1080p with 60 FPS without a problem.

I haven't be disappointing by Nintendo for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time. I got everything I expected from Nintendo, a lot of fun playing games on their systems.
You have summed that up beautifully. I hate when people talk shit when they don't know. The specs offer a good improvement over the current generation. Take into account there hasn't been any large graphic jumps since the current generation of consoles came out and you have a highly competitive system that will appeal to the core gamer crowd with the third party support it has, and is gaining. People just want them to fail because they are all butthurt over the Wii. It's a shame that the average gamer doesn't seem intelligent enough to know that more choices is always better. If we only had a single console then the price of games would be more ridiculous than they already are.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
orangeapples said:
BiH-Kira said:
Eri said:
I'm not sure if there is anything that confirms what I'm about to say, but I've also heard that the WiiU will be running 1440p or even 1600p.

I don't recall who it was, but one of the dev with a WiiU kit mentioned how the WiiU graphics are superior. He might have been talking about texture mapping, but with superior mapping must come higher resolution, right?
They wouldn't up the screen resolutions beyond what is available on the market. 720/1080 are the new standards and since things like television are just really starting to put a lot of their programming in that level of HD, I don't see them going any higher for a long long time.

They may have meant that it was possible to put things in those resolutions with the hardware. You see those resolutions on really high end graphic setups.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
The Wii for the poor people.

The WiiU for our fanboys.

The 3DS for our other Fanboys.

And...

The 360 PS3 and Vita can all be used as paper weights! :D
HAIL PC GAMING!