Nintendo President Sees a System for Every Demographic

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
That sounds... a very great deal like Sega at the time of the 'We can simultaneously push the Megadrive / GameGear / Mega32x / Sega Saturn!' debacle.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My basic attitude is that it comes down to the games, not the hardware you play it on. What is a good game, is a very subjective thing, I'm sure a lot of Wii games are good to the right audience, but for the most part it seems like a lot of garbage.

If Nintendo wants to make a console that appeals to hardcore gamers again, they need to have a strong, hardcore lineup for the Wii U when it releases. Survivial Horror with lots of sex and violence, *DEEP* RPGs, and similar things. If they churn out the Wii U with a platformer, a bunch of casual friendly amusement titles (Carnival Games, etc...), and maybe a fighting game then yeah... the interest is going to be minimal...

One of the things I think has been hurting new platforms, and Nintendo's in paticular, is the attitude that a platform can be lauched without many (or even any) decent titles, since previous console generations got away with it. I think a lack of decent games is what hurt the 3DS to begin with more than anything to do with the hardware.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Call me naive, but what originally sold me on the wii was all the titles coming out on Virtual Console. I was able to acquire a lot of games that I had loved as a kid but never owned. I was a Genesis kid and my best friend had a SNES. And when my brother graduated college, I lost access to the Sega Master system.

Yet, the VC titles have slowed to a drip and most of the stuff that has come out lately I don't remember. And some of the titles I wanted have come out for other systems, such as Turtles in Time.

The only thing that Nintendo has done right, is letting my wife and I play together in the same room on the same TV.

But as far as I'm concerned, Nintendo has lost a lot of my good will.

Rathands

Oct 4, 2010
3DS and Wii U as consoles for 'the hardcore demographic'? Please! They'll be riddled with shitty, badly made kiddies games, over-priced minigame compilations (which'll be the only things to use the consoles gimmick), maybe one or two brand new games that aren't part of a twenty year old series and hundreds of ports of Nintendo's old back catalogue of games. Granted the latter might appeal to their target demographic but they're just going to repeat what they've done with every console that's come before. I'll stick with my DS, at least I can play GBA games on that.

*Does anyone else miss the GameBoy series? I really loved my GameBoy Color and Advance when I was little, they just seemed like better consoles for small children.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
Out of curiosity how has Nintendo lost a lot of your good will?
In the end it felt like a bait and switch. I was excited at having a chance to legally own titles that I had only had a chance to play when visiting a friend. Instead, the VC market has dwindled to a trickle and I'm still stupidly hoping that Earthbound will be released.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
TestECull said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
If only I had a PC instead of this Mac :'(
If it's an Intel-powered Mac all you have to do is install Windows. Bam. Instant PC. And if it can't run games as-is, well, it's pretty standardized inside, grab a new video card, proc and ram. Stab 'em in. Tell OSX to go fuck itself when it objects, you don't need it anymore.
I would if it would not wipe all the data from my harddrive to do that.

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
I get the feeling the overwhelming majority of the "hardcore gamers" that Nintendo "abndoned, betrayed, and screwed over" who now go out of their way to bash Nintendo whenever they are mentioned are the exact same "hardcore gamers" who hated Nintendo since the 90's and called the Gamecube "Barney's Lunchbox".

They talk about the NES and the Super NES being "Nintendo's last hardcore systems before they sold out to the kiddies" while failing to consider that they themselves were kiddies at the time NES and Super NES were current platforms.

Face it, Nintendo's never been for the terminally hip gamer who takes themselves too seriously and wants a gritty, "hardcore" image attached to their system, its been like that since the Super NES vs. Genesis days.

The Genesis was black, sleek, and had attitude.

The Super NES was commercial, pop, white, had purple ON and RESET switches and purple buttons on its controller.

PURPLE BUTTON AND SWITCHES.

Basically these "hardcore" are demanding Nintendo to "go back to" being something they never were to begin with.

This narrative that Nintendo screwed over dedicated gamers with Wii really baffles me. Its as though people just judge Nintendo's entire library based on Wii Sports and Wii Fit and draw a conclusion based on those games alone.

At the most I see the Wii as Nintendo giving up on trying to appeal to gamers who already made it cool amongst themselves to hate Nintendo anyway.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I have to say, I don't envy this guy his job. He basically gets to sit over in the US making promises like this, only to end up watching half of them get broken because the bosses in Japan decide to go another route. I have to wonder how long this so-called projected support for third party high-end titles will last until N of Japan decides they don't like those games on their system.
I have yet to see anything about the Wii-U to get excited about. It is coming out just when Sony and Microsoft have started letting out hints they have begun on their next gen systems. When you are in a race, and your two competitors have already lapped you once, you don't just sit there. It is time to pour on the gas. Gimmicks only carry you so far. People were only wanting the Wii because it was the only one with motion controls. That changed when the systems with better graphics power hit their motion stride.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
KeyMaster45 said:
Nintendo if you can get me a third installment for this series on the WiiU:
I might consider giving you a second chance. That is a very big MIGHT.
Thats a Sega franchise, not a Nintendo one. And they're making a third one for PsN and XBLA.
Will the third one still have Space Micheal? 'sniff'

OT: I don't much care for you Nintendo, but a lot of my friends have vested interest in your well being and I would hate to have their favorite company end up like mine so please learn something from the 90's. No. Don't do this. Don't have four consoles up and expect people to buy them all. That's wallet suicide for most people and most are going to gauge whether or not one game is worth a whole new console.

My father practically has a shrine to Sega. He never owned a Nomad because he already had a Game Gear. He only got some of the Game Gear games. I only remember...ten? Hell, I only played one Sonic game on the thing.

Sega already tried this and failed. I like that you're trying to prove it can be done and taking risks like a big shot, but you're relying on people to pull you through. Which is bad, Very, very bad.

If you do manage to pull this off though, I don't know whether to congratulate you on a risky but profitable venture or to be saddened by the gullibility of people.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I agree that they may soon have a system for every demographic, and it's a very good thing for a company to have, in order to get its name out there. However, the big problem is whether they have a good system for every demographic. We'll have to wait and see.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Oh my fucking god....Nintendo Fire Reggie, Fire him please before he's the reason why 5+ consoles FLOP because of his reasoning.

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
TheDooD said:
Oh my fucking god....Nintendo Fire Reggie, Fire him please before he's the reason why 5+ consoles FLOP because of his reasoning.
If it wasn't for Reggie, Nintendo wouldn't have come out of the 6th Generation with even a fraction of the momentum the need to even be considered a viable player in the hardware business today.

I really dont understand how having a low end and a high end product line is THIS controversial.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
SuperTrainStationH said:
TheDooD said:
If it wasn't for Reggie, Nintendo wouldn't have come out of the 6th Generation with even a fraction of the momentum the need to even be considered a viable player in the hardware business today.

I really dont understand how having a low end and a high end product line is THIS controversial.
Reggie is also the reason why the Wii isn't taken seriously because he keeps saying NO to games people want and pushing stupid shit nobody asked for nor really wanted. Yea he have Wii hype to a demographic that now basically doesn't care for it either way. Also low end and high end product is basically what SEGA did and I don't need to tell that story.

GG Reggie GG

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
TheDooD said:
SuperTrainStationH said:
TheDooD said:

Reggie is also the reason why the Wii isn't taken seriously because he keeps saying NO to games people want and pushing stupid shit nobody asked for nor really wanted. Yea he have Wii hype to a demographic that now basically doesn't care for it either way. Also low end and high end product is basically what SEGA did and I don't need to tell that story.

GG Reggie GG
Wii wasn't taken seriously from the beginning. Or am I the only one who remembers when Gamespot predicted the success of Wii as their 2006 April Fools joke?

Reggie isn't personally responsible for what games do or dont come out, as president of NOA he's mainly responsible for running the company itself and carrying out the mandates of NCL. In fact they're documented cases of NOA wanting to bring games out in North America that NCL simply won't cooperate or refuse to facilitate. EarthBound being a prime example.

The narrative that Reggie is some miserly ax-man sitting on top of a horde of games he wont allow to be released because he hates the fans is rather absurd.

As for Sega, their mid 90's product scheme didn't consist of a legacy low end budget/novice line and a current higher performance high end/hardcore line. It consisted of one aging console supporting TWO different poorly supported and expensive faux-next-gen parasite platforms, a poorly supported portable system that comparatively no one wanted even in its heyday, a next gen console with few games games for it, a portable version of their aging home console, and at least two in development next-gen systems aside from the one that was already announced, AND an announced but unreleased stand alone version of one of the Genesis's parasite consoles.

That's a pretty far cry from,

Budget/novice: DS/Wii (with the obvious intent being to leverage the existing library of games to new customers)

High end/hardcore: 3DS/Wii U