Nintendo President: Strong Software Lineup Will Boost Wii Sales

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Project Natal?

Been tried before. By Sony. Didn't go too well? Anyone remember EyeToy? Didn't think so.

Sure, Microsoft will give it a hell of a go I'm sure, but it'll no doubt fail as there are just too many variables to make it viable.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
Woah wait a "strong software lineup?" do they mean "stuff that will sell shitloads to the casual gamer market"?

Lonko

Jun 3, 2009
timmytom1 said:
Woah wait a "strong software lineup?" do they mean "stuff that will sell shitloads to the casual gamer market"?
I fail to see how that doesn't qualify as a strong lineup for a company whose key demographic happens to be said market, but just in case you weren't paying attention at E3 they were also referring to Mario Galaxy 2, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Metroid: Other M and Golden Sun DS.

And outside of E3, there's also Ace Attorney Investigations, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Kirby, No More Heroes 2 and probably a few other games I've overlooked.

While I readily admit that not one of those games might appeal to you, the fact remains that for the not insignificant number of people to whom they do appeal (hint: they're not "casual"), this is indeed a strong software lineup.

Yoshi_egg80

Apr 1, 2009
Yay new software so my wii doesn't have to be in the closet. Wait, then what were you doing before this?!?!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
Why fix what ain't broke? And each new entry in the series often does enough new to make it fresh and feel like the series at the same time, so no complaints there.

And 5 digitial cookies say that in 25 or so years, Nintendo will still be here, while Microsoft or Sony will either have given up their console gaming ventures completely, or have transformed them into something unreconizable.

You know why? Because Nintendo is the only one of three that hasn't forgotten what its doing -making toys for the entertainment of children and adults alike, and thus it creates fun, memorable brands and franchise that have will stands the test of time, are infinitely marketable outside of games, and are reconizable to people of all ages and locations. Nintendo will always have Mario - what Microsoft have? The Master Chief? And what about Sony? Blu-Ray Man perhaps?

You see, Nintendo succeeds in the face of its competition without the biggests and fanciest gadets;why? Because it sticks to who it is, and even though there is a lot of crap that companies try to shovel onto the system, you'll find more gold by Nintendo then by anyone else. And even if other developers fail, Nintendo will live on, because it does its own best games.
Um, I'd suppose the reason why is because Nintendo is only a game company while Sony and Microsoft are multimedia, Microsoft being in computers and Sony being in other devices like Televisions. How the hell have they "lost their way" when they've admittedly never had a way to begin with? Sony and Microsoft stick with their fancy gadgets because that's what they've always done. Not to mention that Sony have excellent 1st/2nd party companies that give out games just as good as Nintendo, and Microsoft with it's own pluses.

Really, I think you're giving Nintendo way too much credit and Sony and Microsoft not enough. I highly doubt without the original Playstation we would have seen the likes of Metal Gear Solid and FF7 (both which revolutionized gaming) a lot later and without the Xbox, Halo wouldn't have popularized the FPS genre nearly as much. And please, you cannot tell me with a straight face that the PS2 wasn't a humongous achievement in gaming both console-wise and game-wise. They all do their part for different audiences and I for one like the variety instead of the children/family oriented approach of Nintendo.

And quite frankly I find the need of a mascot overrated. Sony has a plethorea of franchises that are all equally great, yet none of them really need to be known as the "mascot" of Sony. And I think Master Chief is a fine mascot, why is that such a problem for some people? Having a mascot shows that you rely heavily on those franchises, as shown by Nintendo obviously.

But I'm starting to rant, sorry.

As for the topic at hand, I'll believe Nintendo when I see some games that are worthwhile to me, personally. While this year's conference was MUCH better than last year's, I still felt that it was lacking in some areas. And either way, I'm probably going to mooch off my friend and borrow the games that he'll get anyway :p

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Kwil said:
Paragon Fury said:
Project Natal?

Been tried before. By Sony. Didn't go too well? Anyone remember EyeToy? Didn't think so.

Sure, Microsoft will give it a hell of a go I'm sure, but it'll no doubt fail as there are just too many variables to make it viable.
Did EyeToy have a depth sensor? Voice & Face recognition processing built in?

I dunno.. I see Natal going somewhere. I'm not sure it'll be in the gaming market as much as the home appliance market, but it's definitely more than an EyeToy.
Actually it did have face and voice, not sure about depth though.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Actually, learning from Nintendo could illustrate why Microsoft's motion sensing won't go anywhere fast. Nintendo tried hardcore FPS's and sort of failed miserably because it wasn't their thing. Now, Microsoft is trying Nintendo's thing, and if patterns ever emerge in history...

Now, I really appreciate Nintendo's niche and otherwise-unfulfilled appeal to kids and people not aroused by gorey headshots. But I feel like some other company could be doing their job better at the moment. It's come to the point where we can mouth along with what they're going to say at the next E3.

"Also, we're pleased to announce..."
"Also, we're pleased to announce..."
"...the release of a new Zelda game..."
"...the release of a new Zelda game..."
"...starring Nude Zelda."
"...with the adventures of Link, and a new companion called Regalda."
"Damn. Maybe next time."

There are definitely companies making INNOVATIVE uses of N's platforms, so I really don't think Nintendo deserves as much of a spotlight anymore. Let us see something without a "2" on the end.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
timmytom1 said:
Depends: does the casual market normally play Conduit, Resident Evil, and DeadSpace?

I suggest you see the E3 Nintendo presentation.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
Lonko said:
timmytom1 said:
I fail to see how that doesn't qualify as a strong lineup for a company whose key demographic happens to be said market, but just in case you weren't paying attention at E3 they were also referring to Mario Galaxy 2, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Metroid: Other M and Golden Sun DS.

And outside of E3, there's also Ace Attorney Investigations, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Kirby, No More Heroes 2 and probably a few other games I've overlooked.

While I readily admit that not one of those games might appeal to you, the fact remains that for the not insignificant number of people to whom they do appeal (hint: they're not "casual"), this is indeed a strong software lineup.
Exactly what i was reffering to (albeit better worded and longer)

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
CoziestPigeon said:
Did you even watch E3 coverage? None of the shit nintendo OR sony talked about even comes CLOSE to project NATAL. With that around, who the fuck would want a Wii? I own one, and I haven't even had it plugged in for almost a year.
Project Natal isn't around, it isn't released, it doesn't even have a release date yet, nor any games announced. MS is the king of vaporware, they always announce "great" technology for the future when a competitor has an advantage over them. Longhorn (Vista). Surface. They get delayed year after year and if they ever come out at least half the features get stripped out and the result is so shitty people will pay extra to not get it (Vista to XP downgrade, anyone?).

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
KDR_11k said:
CoziestPigeon said:
Did you even watch E3 coverage? None of the shit nintendo OR sony talked about even comes CLOSE to project NATAL. With that around, who the fuck would want a Wii? I own one, and I haven't even had it plugged in for almost a year.
Project Natal isn't around, it isn't released, it doesn't even have a release date yet, nor any games announced. MS is the king of vaporware, they always announce "great" technology for the future when a competitor has an advantage over them. Longhorn (Vista). Surface. They get delayed year after year and if they ever come out at least half the features get stripped out and the result is so shitty people will pay extra to not get it (Vista to XP downgrade, anyone?).
Vaporware? Isn't that Valve's specialty?

Or are we giving them a pass on Episode 3?

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
KDR_11k said:
CoziestPigeon said:
You seem to be an anti-microsoft fanboy, so I'll phrase this differently for you.
The wii is not a great system, and at E3 they failed to present anything that looks innovative or appealing, aside from a Metroid game being made by team ninja. They do NOT have a strong software lineup, they only have some redone series and a pulse detector.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
Strong line-up of software, huh?
I mean, not that I'm unexcited about the new zelda and metroid. Maybe even a little interested in the mario- I'll probably buy it, at least. But those aren't going to sell new consoles, and certainly not this year.
None of those is even likely to come out before 2010, and if they do, they'll be too short and not as good, as has been demonstrated previously when Nintendo tried to release tings too early. And in any case, each of those series already has a wii title, so anyone who would buy a wii just for zelda/mario/metroid (myself included) has already bought one.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
The Wii has still sold more then the 360 or the PS3, worldwide. It doesn't really need to sell more consoles.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
CoziestPigeon said:
You seem to be an anti-microsoft fanboy, so I'll phrase this differently for you.
The wii is not a great system, and at E3 they failed to present anything that looks innovative or appealing, aside from a Metroid game being made by team ninja. They do NOT have a strong software lineup, they only have some redone series and a pulse detector.
It is not a great system for YOU but there are tons of people who care about Wii Sports Resort and being able to play a 2D Mario on a console with coop. The pulse detector doesn't matter at all because there are no games for it so it's just a useless piece of plastic for now. What matters are games. Also people tend to forget that there are third party games on the Wii now and the releases this year aren't going to be only Nintendo's work. There are quite a few high quality third party games shown at this E3 and while there hasn't been much surprise because a lot of that stuff has been known beforehand (then again I didn't spot anything new at MS's E3 conference outside of Epic's Metroid clone and that Natal vapor) the games still exist.

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
KDR_11k said:
CoziestPigeon said:
It is not a great system for YOU but there are tons of people who care about Wii Sports Resort and being able to play a 2D Mario on a console with coop. The pulse detector doesn't matter at all because there are no games for it so it's just a useless piece of plastic for now. What matters are games. Also people tend to forget that there are third party games on the Wii now and the releases this year aren't going to be only Nintendo's work. There are quite a few high quality third party games shown at this E3 and while there hasn't been much surprise because a lot of that stuff has been known beforehand (then again I didn't spot anything new at MS's E3 conference outside of Epic's Metroid clone and that Natal vapor) the games still exist.
I'm sorry to hear that you love the Wii so much, I truly am. I am also sorry to hear that you believe any futuristic shooter is a Metroid ripoff, and very, very sorry you are so cynical about what is, essentially, a beefed up version of your beloved console.