Nintendo Responds to 3DS Headache Complaints

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
When hear about ''Nintendo'' and ''headaches'' being used together, i immediately think: ''virtual boy''.

JaffaFrost

May 29, 2010
Well that's just stupid. I get headaches from playing any other game media if i play it to much. Especially gameboys/DS's with their tiny screens-_-

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I've got an even better suggestion. See this thing here?

[sub]No, not the random happy white guy. That lovely thing on the left.[/sub]

Push it all the way down so the little arrow is next to "OFF." Problem solved. As an added bonus, leave it there forever and you'll never have another problem playing it again.

EDIT: The number of people in here who think the only selling point of the system is the 3D and if you can't see or don't care about 3D then you shouldn't buy it is astounding. Do any of you even know what else it does? The system is so much more than 3D that it doesn't even matter if you can't or don't want to see 3D. Nintendo really should have just called it the DS 2 or basically anything but 3DS, and then people would be seeing it for what it really is: another hardware leap on the level of what we saw between the GameBoy/GameBoy Color and the GameBoy Advance.

Mar 9, 2010
Toasty Virus said:
I very fact that this matter had to be addressed worries me.
You aren't the only one. I do wonder what their thought process was on this:

'Headache? New 3D console? Fucking hell I must be dying, best go complain to Nintendo instead of seeking medical advice or taking a break.'

This happened with the Gameboy as well. Y'know what I did? I turned it off. I was fucking 10 years old, maybe younger. What has happened to common sense guys?

Jamie Doerschuck

Jun 6, 2010
I forgot said:
Jamie Doerschuck said:
I still can't get over what a dumb business plan this was...

Okay, they've sold millions or billions of DSes. For the sake of argument (I know this is quite possibly completely wrong), let's say that they sold 45 million. Well after five years, that's about as many people who will be interested in buying the next installment of the DS family, logically. It's been out for a long time, the niche probably won't make any huge jumps in size.

But out of this 45 million they've cut out people who can't afford the giant price tag (which the original didn't have) and people who can't see steroscopic 3D.

"Who cares?" you may say "You have to cater to the majority anyway, right?"

Well.. Yes. But that 45 million IS their majority. Even if over 70% of the people who own DSes are considered "middle class" and only 1 in 100 people can't see stereoscopic 3D (more "for argument" facts, I'm not saying any of these are accurate. It's just the principal), you're cutting out the people who can't afford it or see it out of your target.. Area.

It just.. None of this makes sense to me.

"Hey, know what would be a good joke?"
"What?"
"If we spent a bunch of money developing the next DS and sold it to even LESS people!"
"YEAHH!! LOL, THAT'LL BE SOOO FUNNY."
"LMAO, I KNOW."
The price is the biggest knock against the 3DS. Nintendo should've waited until this technology became cheap like they did with wii motion plus. The DS could've easily lasted another year or two. I doubt the 3DS will be a failure but I don't see it making the same numbers the DS or Wii made.
Oh, I'm not saying it'll be a failure. I'm just saying that from the general big business standpoint of "I WANT TO MAKE ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD, LOL." it was dumb.. Even if they DID wait until it was cheaper, you still have all the people who can't see the 3D. And even if it's only 1% of the population, that 1% turns into a huge group of people when you're talking about a main group in the millions/billions.

Jamie Doerschuck

Jun 6, 2010
mjc0961 said:

Push it all the way down so the little arrow is next to "OFF." Problem solved. As an added bonus, leave it there forever and you'll never have another problem playing it again.

EDIT: The number of people in here who think the only selling point of the system is the 3D and if you can't see or don't care about 3D then you shouldn't buy it is astounding. Do any of you even know what else it does? The system is so much more than 3D that it doesn't even matter if you can't or don't want to see 3D. Nintendo really should have just called it the DS 2 or basically anything but 3DS, and then people would be seeing it for what it really is: another hardware leap on the level of what we saw between the GameBoy/GameBoy Color and the GameBoy Advance.
It's not that it's the "only selling point", it's just the only selling point... That makes the thing so god damn expensive.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
I sure wouldn't buy a 3DS without first giving it a five-minute test run. If you suffer immediate effects, put it down and buy something else; if you're okay after five, you'll be okay in the long run.
Or you could just turn the 3D off, and buy it anyway. It has a slider for that, right?

I have yet to purchase a handheld gaming device. I might start with the 3DS, but not for a while. I want to see how it holds up in the long run.

FullMetalZ

Mar 10, 2011
Jamie Doerschuck said:
mjc0961 said:

It's not that it's the "only selling point", it's just the only selling point... That makes the thing so god damn expensive.
Exactly. The 3D is what makes the system so expensive. So it's fine in theory to buy the system just for the games, but when you're investing that much money into something and you can't effectively use the entire thing, there's going to be some animosity.

I'm not excusing anyone from using common sense; always, always, ALWAYS try something before you buy it. Personally, I'll just wait until they come out with the inevitable update in less than a year, and I still might not even buy it then.

FullMetalZ

Mar 10, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
But I still think all this 3D business is just a fad that'll blow over fairly quickly.
I hope so. I'd hate for developers to invest serious time into a system that's based off of something so lame.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
I played the 3DS for like 8 hours and i did not get any headaches. I can understand the frustration for some people who really like the effect, but dont have the capacity to enjoy it due to frequent headaches. Honestly though there is no way you can blame nintendo, it is more of a personal problem where i somewhat sympathetically say "Sucks to be you"

riflow

Aug 14, 2010
WOW.

Lack of common sense astounds me.

Wonder if this gets worse in future generations will game companies have to start putting a warning up every hour or half an hour saying "PUT IT DOWN NOW. YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DON'T."

...Actually at this rate that might be quite likely.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Jamie Doerschuck said:
FullMetalZ said:
Exactly. The 3D is what makes the system so expensive. So it's fine in theory to buy the system just for the games, but when you're investing that much money into something and you can't effectively use the entire thing, there's going to be some animosity.

I'm not excusing anyone from using common sense; always, always, ALWAYS try something before you buy it. Personally, I'll just wait until they come out with the inevitable update in less than a year, and I still might not even buy it then.
Except that's not what makes the thing so expensive. Remember, estimates are that the actual parts alone just cost $101 or so. Then you get to pay for some R&D, manufacturing/assembly, shipping costs, retail markup, and most importantly, you just get to pay more because consumer interest was high. Did everyone else forget about this?

Nintendo's Iwata Blames You for the Price of the 3DS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103890-Nintendos-Iwata-Blames-You-for-the-Price-of-the-3DS]

The 3DS is $250 mainly because people want it and will pay $250 for it (and sales in Japan and Europe have already shown that people will indeed pay the high price for it, so Nintendo was right). Not because the 3D screen is super expensive.

Personally, I'll just wait until they come out with the inevitable update in less than a year
Funny you say that right after talking about people needing to use common sense, because common sense since you aren't getting an upgrade in less than a year: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/how-nintendo-3ds-made/1/0
Sugino: Oh, really? (laughs) But he was right. That's why we don't have any short-term plans for creating a more compact version of Nintendo 3DS like we did with Nintendo DS Lite. (laughs)

Iwata: Yeah. (laughs) When making Nintendo 3DS, we used all our tricks for Nintendo DS Lite?and more?for cutting down on size right from the start.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
I already know looking at things in 3D can give me headaches. Therefore, I already know when it's time to stop for a little while.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
riflow said:
WOW.

Wonder if this gets worse in future generations will game companies have to start putting a warning up every hour or half an hour saying "PUT IT DOWN NOW. YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DON'T."

Hah I loved ignoring those on MGS4

riflow

Aug 14, 2010
robert022614 said:
riflow said:
WOW.

Hah I loved ignoring those on MGS4
I could imagine why, I remember ignoring them for....was it guitar hero? Rock band? Some game I suck at playing.

Butyes, it was fun ignoring them.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Jamie Doerschuck said:
FullMetalZ said:

Except that's not what makes the thing so expensive. Remember, estimates are that the actual parts alone just cost $101 or so. Then you get to pay for some R&D, manufacturing/assembly, shipping costs, retail markup, and most importantly, you just get to pay more because consumer interest was high. Did everyone else forget about this?

Nintendo's Iwata Blames You for the Price of the 3DS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103890-Nintendos-Iwata-Blames-You-for-the-Price-of-the-3DS]

The 3DS is $250 mainly because people want it and will pay $250 for it. Not because the 3D screen is super expensive.
You're missing the point entirely. The reason why people were interested by the 3ds, and wanted the 3ds was because of the 3d. Otherwise it's just a slightly improved DS.

easternflame

Cosmic Rays of Undeadly Fire
Nov 2, 2010
Toasty Virus said:
I very fact that this matter had to be addressed worries me.
It does actualy give nasty fucking headaches. I played it because a friend bought it and its HORRIBLE