Nintendo Responds to 3DS Headache Complaints

FullMetalZ

Mar 10, 2011
mjc0961 said:
Jamie Doerschuck said:
It's not that it's the "only selling point", it's just the only selling point... That makes the thing so god damn expensive.
FullMetalZ said:
Exactly. The 3D is what makes the system so expensive. So it's fine in theory to buy the system just for the games, but when you're investing that much money into something and you can't effectively use the entire thing, there's going to be some animosity.

I'm not excusing anyone from using common sense; always, always, ALWAYS try something before you buy it. Personally, I'll just wait until they come out with the inevitable update in less than a year, and I still might not even buy it then.
Except that's not what makes the thing so expensive. Remember, estimates are that the actual parts alone just cost $101 or so. Then you get to pay for some R&D, manufacturing/assembly, shipping costs, retail markup, and most importantly, you just get to pay more because consumer interest was high. Did everyone else forget about this?

Nintendo's Iwata Blames You for the Price of the 3DS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103890-Nintendos-Iwata-Blames-You-for-the-Price-of-the-3DS]

The 3DS is $250 mainly because people want it and will pay $250 for it (and sales in Japan and Europe have already shown that people will indeed pay the high price for it, so Nintendo was right). Not because the 3D screen is super expensive.

Personally, I'll just wait until they come out with the inevitable update in less than a year
Funny you say that right after talking about people needing to use common sense, because common sense since you aren't getting an upgrade in less than a year: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/how-nintendo-3ds-made/1/0
Sugino: Oh, really? (laughs) But he was right. That's why we don't have any short-term plans for creating a more compact version of Nintendo 3DS like we did with Nintendo DS Lite. (laughs)

Iwata: Yeah. (laughs) When making Nintendo 3DS, we used all our tricks for Nintendo DS Lite?and more?for cutting down on size right from the start.
Funny that you call into question my common sense and then back it up with a link to an interview. Common sense is, by definition, something that requires no outside knowledge. I would say THAT is common sense, but I'm not entirely sure. And it's called a hyperbole, look it up.

OT: I have no illusions that demand doesn't increase the price. That's just business. And yeah, as a whole, all the normal parts for the DS will cost more than the parts that are put into the 3D. That doesn't change the fact that there's been a large increase in price from the last DS to the 3DS.

In short, I can understand the frustration people are having with this because they're NOT just paying for a system that plays games. They're paying for a system that plays games in 3D. If there was no 3D, I'd be all over this. I bought the original DS as soon as I could for the games, and I would do the same for this in heartbeat if I could. But some people don't have $250 they can just throw down for a system with a price point that's largely affected by the inclusion of 3D that they won't use. Especially considering that games that are out for the system right now are nothing spectacular (SFIV is arguable).

I SEE your point, I just look at other ones too before I go around berating other people.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
Jamie Doerschuck said:
I forgot said:
Jamie Doerschuck said:
I still can't get over what a dumb business plan this was...

Okay, they've sold millions or billions of DSes. For the sake of argument (I know this is quite possibly completely wrong), let's say that they sold 45 million. Well after five years, that's about as many people who will be interested in buying the next installment of the DS family, logically. It's been out for a long time, the niche probably won't make any huge jumps in size.

But out of this 45 million they've cut out people who can't afford the giant price tag (which the original didn't have) and people who can't see steroscopic 3D.

"Who cares?" you may say "You have to cater to the majority anyway, right?"

Well.. Yes. But that 45 million IS their majority. Even if over 70% of the people who own DSes are considered "middle class" and only 1 in 100 people can't see stereoscopic 3D (more "for argument" facts, I'm not saying any of these are accurate. It's just the principal), you're cutting out the people who can't afford it or see it out of your target.. Area.

It just.. None of this makes sense to me.

"Hey, know what would be a good joke?"
"What?"
"If we spent a bunch of money developing the next DS and sold it to even LESS people!"
"YEAHH!! LOL, THAT'LL BE SOOO FUNNY."
"LMAO, I KNOW."
The price is the biggest knock against the 3DS. Nintendo should've waited until this technology became cheap like they did with wii motion plus. The DS could've easily lasted another year or two. I doubt the 3DS will be a failure but I don't see it making the same numbers the DS or Wii made.
Oh, I'm not saying it'll be a failure. I'm just saying that from the general big business standpoint of "I WANT TO MAKE ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD, LOL." it was dumb.. Even if they DID wait until it was cheaper, you still have all the people who can't see the 3D. And even if it's only 1% of the population, that 1% turns into a huge group of people when you're talking about a main group in the millions/billions.
Actually, I don't think the people not being able to see the 3D would make a difference because it was made with people who wouldn't care for the 3d in mind. That's why it also boasts better graphics, AR games, it's online streetpass thing, built in gyroscopes or whatever and compatibility with all the previous DS and DsiWare software. So, even if they can't see the 3D, they'll still buy it for the software but the only thing getting in the way is the damn price.

Raeil

Nov 18, 2009
Admittedly, I've only used my 3DS for appx. 30 minutes at a time with the 3D slider up all the way, but I haven't really had any immediate side effects. I did have a minor headache about an hour later, but it seems like something that will stop happening once my eyes get used to seeing the 3D on the screen itself. I look forward to seeing what happens in this area over the coming months.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
I have a 3DS and although I do get pretty severe headaches from playing regular games for too long, the 3DS is exceptional at screwing with my sense of balance after playing games in 3D for too long. I agree the best solution is to take frequent breaks and perhaps limit use of the 3D for very short periods of time overall. The effect is fabulous when you hit the sweet spot but after I put the 3DS down after playing some AR games, I feel dizzy for a good 10 minutes. Pilotwings is not as bad but I don't think I could play with the 3D slider on for any more than half an hour before I absolutely cannot keep going with it. Other than that, the games are fantastic and the analog nub is supremely comfortable, so even without the 3D this is a valuable upgrade to my ancient DS Lite.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
I get headaches from playing my DS lite! I have pretty bad vision and apparently focusing on something so close to my face gives me migraines. But I've never sued Nintendo about it so I don't know what's up with the world. It's my eye's fault, not Nintendo.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Maybe I have more common sense than most people, but...If something hurts, I stop doing it.

gofer042

Sep 13, 2009
A True Gamer will play anyway, regardless of headaches or ocular fatigue. GAME THROUGH THE PAIN!

I'm getting mine tomorrow morning. I don't care if it makes my contacts stick to my corneas and my head split down the middle, I need it for portable Ocarina of Time in June. And Starfox, I guess.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
If I was using a device I had never tried before and I got headaches I would fear it may be something worse than a case of 'GTFO!' Just paranoia and I'm sure many of these people are too.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Well, common sense is a rarity so I can only figure this would happen one day. But then again, this kind of reminds me of that one post where someone wanted to stay awake for an entire week just so he or she could play video games. ._.

Boy we really have come a long way as far as evolution goes haven't we? :D

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
3D just isn't for everyone, and there's not really much Nintendo can do about that other than include the 3D-slider that even lets you turn it off.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Buy our games console, but don't use it.

An interesting concept, but I think I'll stick with my gaming desktop.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Company makes expensive product who's headline feature can't be used for longer than 2 minutes.

Company says "Just don't use it then"

IF Company = Nintendo THEN Accept argument and insult anyone who complains as being stupid

ELSE Complain that product is essentially a scam.

yellowhead

Nov 18, 2009
I tried out a 3DS at my local Gamestation shop. I played 1 round of Street Fighter in 3D, stopped playing and my eyes were hurting for 8/10 HOURS afterwards. My vision was fuzzy, i had really bad headaches and found it diffucult to read during that time. And i've never had a problem with any sort of 3D before.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
I have to say, I got a really nasty headache after trying the 3DS for about 2 hours at a preview event. However, the first thing I did when I got mine was turn the brightness down to half (it's not all that noticeable after a minute of two) and I haven't had a single problem (with the 3D slider at about 3/4). Plus, it extends the battery life significantly. I've only had it run completely down once so far since Friday.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I must have played Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition for 3 hours straight. I remember, because I was stuck on Guile for roughly a third of that time. God, the hours of hearing "SONIC BOOM!" being spammed over, and over... I didn't know they programmed their AIs to be so spammy. But nonetheless, it was ridiculously awesome.

The 3D felt a bit awkward at first, but I realized I wasn't even looking at the screen the right way. I can see why it would give people headaches, but I was just fine with it.

As for the 3DS' price... I can't say anything, since it was a gift, but having bought a PSP at launch for the same price, I can see what the fuss is about. Unfortunately, as the post above put it, the price is only the way it is because people are willing to pay that much for it.

The 3D fad has been around for over a decade, and they're just now figuring out how to do it right (immersion instead of pop-out crap), I wouldn't mind if it stuck around for a while longer.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
Ive been playing the 3DS for quite a while now since I bought it and I haven't experienced any forms of problems, however each person is affected differently. I also go to 3D movies and I'm fine, and I have the option to turn it off in case I didn't feel well.

Just use common sense. Worried that people can't understand this...