Nintendo: Retailers Will Start Taking Super NES Classic Pre-orders Late This Month

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo: Retailers Will Start Taking Super NES Classic Pre-orders Late This Month

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1420/1420764.jpgYou'll be able to pre-order a Super NES Classic "late this month," Nintendo says.

Since Nintendo announced the Super NES Classic canceling those pre-orders [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170634-Nintendo-Announces-SNES-Classic-for-this-Fall], as they had gone live due to a "technical glitch."

There's been no further word on when we might be able to throw our money at Nintendo for one of the retro units, but on its Facebook page [https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo/photos/a.120520318032430.30157.119240841493711/1438961166188332/?type=3&permPage=1] yesterday, Nintendo announced that the opportunity will be coming soon.

"We appreciate the incredible anticipation that exists for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system, and can confirm that it will be made available for pre-order by various retailers late this month."

The company went on to say that, "A significant amount of additional systems will be shipped to stores for launch day, and throughout the balance of the calendar year." This is in line with previous Nintendo statements, when it said that it would "produce significantly more units of Super NES Classic Edition than we did of NES Classic Edition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170643-Nintendo-Making-Significantly-More-SNES-Classic-Edition-Units]." Hopefully it's a lot more units, as the NES Classic shipped 2.3 million units, and it seemed like there were a lot more that never got their hands on one.

There's no specific date for pre-orders to begin, but hopefully we'll have a update and specific dates and times from Nintendo soon. If you really want a SNES Classic, you'll want to keep an ear out for news. Odds are they'll go quickly.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
:(

They won't stop the crap forced scarcity stuff, so long as we, the customers, continue to reward them for it with mass pre-ordering.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
God damn it. I'm actually really considering trying to preorder one of these. Not even a Nintendo fan.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Let me know. Im gonna actually try to pre-order.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Even if I have the money by the end of the month I'll probably miss it by hours.
Saltyk said:
God damn it. I'm actually really considering trying to preorder one of these. Not even a Nintendo fan.
Scalper? /sarcasm

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Jacked Assassin said:
Even if I have the money by the end of the month I'll probably miss it by hours.
Saltyk said:
Scalper? /sarcasm
Nah. But I never did have a SNES as a kid and there are SNES games on it that I was interested in playing.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Pre-order sounds nice and all, but can we really trust Nintendo? Will there be enough units shipped overall? I've rarely seen software shortages, I pre-order a game I've gotten the game. Even when I haven't pre-ordered they're plenty of the regular stock. But when you talk about hardware, things get crappy. Pre-order and they sell your item anyway or pre-order and they don't receive enough units and you're on another wait list. After trying to get a NES classic, I can only think Nintendo will drop the ball again. Can't wait to see how big a mark-up those scalpers will charge for the SNES.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Pre-order culture strikes again. What if there were no pre-orders? What if every unit sold had to be bought on or after the release date? Scalpers would be limited by their local shops and those shops might limit them to one per customer making it easier for people who want to buy it to use it to get one.

STOP SUPPORTING PRE-ORDER CULTURE, please.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
mythgraven said:

They won't stop the crap forced scarcity stuff, so long as we, the customers, continue to reward them for it with mass pre-ordering.
Their lack of supply in these endeavours doesn't actually reward them, though. Isn't this just a case of them spinning their wheels?

CheetoDust_v1legacy

Jun 10, 2017
FalloutJack said:
mythgraven said:

Their lack of supply in these endeavours doesn't actually reward them, though. Isn't this just a case of them spinning their wheels?
It might kind of reward them. Hard to say how much but they could potentially sell less or sell the same amount over a longer period if they didn't create an atmosphere of "this is your only chance to get one." So it's not just straight sales, it's the fact that all those sales are at once which would look good for quarterly figures.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
There's plenty of countries you could pre-order in already, so I'm not sure what area this article is about.
Gutsripper said:
So glad I pre-ordered mine a month ago here in the Netherlands.
It went fine down south in Belgium as well.
WeepingAngels said:
Pre-order culture strikes again.
Nah, not really. Pre-ordering something when you know that supply is going to be limited and you can't make it on launch day isn't such a bad thing, providing the store you buy it at has a decent money-back policy. Pre-order 'culture' with videogames is almost shit per definition considering the lack of supply problems, but that doesn't fly necessarily for hardware. I just wanna make sure I get this thing, considering I'll probably be a bit too busy on launch day to stand in mile-long lines for hours on end.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
There's plenty of countries you could pre-order in already, so I'm not sure what area this article is about.
Gutsripper said:
So glad I pre-ordered mine a month ago here in the Netherlands.
It went fine down south in Belgium as well.
WeepingAngels said:
Pre-order culture strikes again.
Nah, not really. Pre-ordering something when you know that supply is going to be limited and you can't make it on launch day isn't such a bad thing, providing the store you buy it at has a decent money-back policy. Pre-order 'culture' with videogames is almost shit per definition considering the lack of supply problems, but that doesn't fly necessarily for hardware. I just wanna make sure I get this thing, considering I'll probably be a bit too busy on launch day to stand in mile-long lines for hours on end.
Right, pre-ordering is ok when it's hardware and when you pre-order software, that will be the exception too. Here's a thought, supply is short BECAUSE of pre-order culture. Not only does it make it easier for scalpers to get multiple units, everybody pre-ordering because they believe the supply is short makes it so. Self fulfilling prophecy.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
FalloutJack said:
mythgraven said:

The belief that you better buy one if you find one does benefit them.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
mythgraven said:

I can understand them not understanding the demand for the nes classic. I mean they probably just thought there would be a collectors market for it and didn't take scalpers and such into account. I mean they know how much and easily nes games are emulated.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Worgen said:
mythgraven said:

I can understand them not understanding the demand for the nes classic. I mean they probably just thought there would be a collectors market for it and didn't take scalpers and such into account. I mean they know how much and easily nes games are emulated.
No, the demand for the NES Classic was apparent after it was announced, it's just that Nintendo wasn't paying attention. Also, scalpers are not new. The ease of emulating NES games hasn't stopped Nintendo from overcharging for them several times since the launch of the Wii VC.

Will you make excuses for them when they undersupply again? Did they misread the market for the Wii, the Switch and Amiibos too, when do people stop making excuses for them?

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
Yeah, but they don't deliver ones for people to then have, so it's a pittance and then everybody everywhere who has an internet connection probably realizes that there are other alternatives.

CheetoDust said:
It might kind of reward them. Hard to say how much but they could potentially sell less or sell the same amount over a longer period if they didn't create an atmosphere of "this is your only chance to get one." So it's not just straight sales, it's the fact that all those sales are at once which would look good for quarterly figures.
Strange, I don't recall hearing anything about companies caring about looking good, but about money. I mean, this is pretty evident in how BAD they can look, especially lately.

CheetoDust_v1legacy

Jun 10, 2017
FalloutJack said:
WeepingAngels said:
Yeah, but they don't deliver ones for people to then have, so it's a pittance and then everybody everywhere who has an internet connection probably realizes that there are other alternatives.

CheetoDust said:
Strange, I don't recall hearing anything about companies caring about looking good, but about money. I mean, this is pretty evident in how BAD they can look, especially lately.
They care about how good they look to investors. We can go fuck ourselves. That's the point I was trying to make, making a whole bunch of sales at once must look good for shares. Think about it. If people know Nintendo is about to make a whole mess of money they might invest more. Honestly I'm talking out my ass but there has to be some reason this benefits Nintendo? Right? Maybe they are genuinely stupid.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
FalloutJack said:
WeepingAngels said:

CheetoDust said:
It is valuable for people to have the mindset that Nintendo products (and let's face it, Nintendo almost always has supply issues) should be bought ASAP. As another poster pointed out, it's important for investors and it's important for the consumer perception that Nintendo products are hot items. Are we really to believe that Nintendo did no market research about the demand for the NES Classic? Are we to believe that Nintendo didn't see the excitement for the NES Classic after it was announced? Are we to believe that they are incompetent instead of doing this on purpose?

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
Are we really going to give them the benefit of the doubt when there is, to my mind, no real reason to do that?

CheetoDust said:
Hey, I'm sure that in their heads, they're brilliant. The views expressed by Nintendo officials may not necessarily represent that of the human population, though.