Nintendo Reveals Wii U Launch Date, Price

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The lack of software announcements is off-putting. It's mid-September Nintendo.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
So how long until Sony and Microsoft announce price drops?

The price is decent but 8-32 GB storage worries me. Why so small?
The ability to use a non propriety SDXC/HDD more than make up for it.
Also Bayonetta 2 Wii u exclusive
Uh, Bayonetta 2 is still in borderline "cancelled" status, I don't think its exclusive anything at this point. There's been no details on it and we've been told we're getting Veiwtiful Joe 3 before Bayonetta 2.

My point is Bayonetta 2 may not be an exclusive when it actually gets released.
Actually I was talking about it because it was announced today Wii-u exclusive :p

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I'm going to pretend that, by "memory", you mean "RAM."

So why is the premium console so much more powerful?

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I'm guessing they're using some flash based storage, which would be physically smaller than a hard drive, cheap to make, and possible to produce (8GB hard drives? where do you even get that in this age and day?). Considering you can get SDHC/XC cards with big storage for cheap prices, it's not so bad.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
renegade7 said:
I remember back in 2006 and I was 12 waiting on pins and needles for Nintendo to tell us what the release date was, and then nearly dying of excitement by the time November 19 rolled around.

Now, I am going to need to see a launch line up before I start getting excited.
So far:

Assassin's Creed III
Darksiders II
Epic Mickey 2 (which is not a "launch title" but comes out Nov 18, so might as well be)
FIFA 13
Just Dance 4
Madden 13 (which might actually be good with the tablet...)
Mass Effect 3
New Super Mario Bros U (December 2)
Ninja Gaiden 3
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Nov 20)
The Wonderful 101/Project P-100
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Trine 2
ZombiU

There are more that just say "2012", but without an actual launch date I assume they'll be delayed until next year.

According to Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games].

Wikipedia is now out of date [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119581-Over-50-Games-Announced-for-Wii-U-Launch-Window].

Basically... games I'd rather play on a PC, games I don't care about, and ZombiU (maybe; pending reviews).

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
ScrabbitRabbit said:

They are referring to storage memory. My concern with internal storage is speed. Are we talking 8 Gigs of SSD speed or better or are we talking slow speed like an internal HDD.

RAM is the same in both. 1 Gig, but I've yet to see the spec on the Type of ram or the Processor spec to determine if it's a 1 Gig eDRAM cache which would be nice.

Apr 28, 2008
The low hard drive space isn't really a surprise. Considering the Wii had a much smaller space, and since Nintendo was never that big on online stuff like DLC, there wasn't much of a reason for lots of memory.

I feel it'll be enough. Then again, I'm still using my 12GB 360 hard drive, so what do I know.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
AzrealMaximillion said:

Uh, Bayonetta 2 is still in borderline "cancelled" status, I don't think its exclusive anything at this point. There's been no details on it and we've been told we're getting Veiwtiful Joe 3 before Bayonetta 2.

Actually I was talking about it because it was announced today Wii-u exclusive :p

Huh, looks cool. I doubt it will stay exclusive though. Exclusives don't sell consoles anymore.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
JeanLuc761 said:
On behalf of my retail brethren, I would like to say that it has been an honor serving with you.

Black Friday is going to be MURDER.
Especially of the competition decides to announce price drops or big sales.
You mean consoles they plan to release within a few more years, that are going to put the WiiU into way outdated tech status, right?

I gave up on the WiiU when I realized that Nintendo's newest generation console is going to be on par with consoles that have been out for years, meaning it's already outdated.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Azuaron said:
renegade7 said:
I remember back in 2006 and I was 12 waiting on pins and needles for Nintendo to tell us what the release date was, and then nearly dying of excitement by the time November 19 rolled around.

Now, I am going to need to see a launch line up before I start getting excited.
So far:

Assassin's Creed III
Darksiders II
FIFA 13
Just Dance 4
Madden 13 (which might actually be good with the tablet...)
Mass Effect 3
Ninja Gaiden 3
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101/Project P-100
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Trine 2
ZombiU

According to Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games].

Basically... games I'd rather play on a PC, games I don't care about, and ZombiU (maybe; pending reviews).
Looks like "Port City" with a few mediocre killer apps.

Ultramatic

Jan 12, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
AzrealMaximillion said:

Huh, looks cool. I doubt it will stay exclusive though. Exclusives don't sell consoles anymore.
It's apparently published by Nintendo, so in this case, it might.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
JeanLuc761 said:
On behalf of my retail brethren, I would like to say that it has been an honor serving with you.

Black Friday is going to be MURDER.
Especially of the competition decides to announce price drops or big sales.
You mean consoles they plan to release within a few more years, that are going to put the WiiU into way outdated tech status, right?

I gave up on the WiiU when I realized that Nintendo's newest generation console is going to be on par with consoles that have been out for years, meaning it's already outdated.
I meant the console that are already out now getting a price drop, but you do raise an extremely good point. The Wii U is already outdated. AND with less memory? What's up with that. That raises red flags about online content for games.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
medv4380 said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:

They are referring to storage memory. My concern with internal storage is speed. Are we talking 8 Gigs of SSD speed or better or are we talking slow speed like an internal HDD.

RAM is the same in both. 1 Gig, but I've yet to see the spec on the Type of ram or the Processor spec to determine if it's a 1 Gig eDRAM cache which would be nice.
SSD. Also, the WiiU supports USB drives.

There's actually 2GB RAM, 1 for games and 1 for system. Don't know the specs on it.

The processor looks like an IBM POWER7, but I don't have anything more specific than that.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
AzrealMaximillion said:

It will stay exclusive.
The game was canceled because of lack of funds. Nintendo offered funding the game if it's a WiiU exclusive.

@People asking why about the low memory.
Nintendo decided that keeping the cost low is better than adding more memory (this is NOT the RAM memory, seen some people ask). And you can use any external HDD for storing stuff.

Also, Reggie guarantied 50 games until the next march.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Ultramatic said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
AzrealMaximillion said:

It's apparently published by Nintendo, so in this case, it might.
There have been publisher switches to release on other consoles before. Hell, Sega is co-publishing so we may see Sega just publish it themselves on other consoles. The word "exclusive" means nothing these days.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
8GB/32GB? Really? The Xbox 360 launched with 20GB back in 2005. This will SEVERELY limit the it's capabilities as a downloadable platform unless large memory expansion is possible easily and relatively cheaply.

All in all, apart from the memory issue, looks better than i expected to be honest. Time will tell if it can stack up against even this generation's consoles though.
The Xbox required Microsoft hard drives which where 3 times more expensive than regular hard drives. You can use any external HDD for the WiiU. And they are really cheap.
Iwata said that they had to make a decision between a lower price and more memory. A higher price isn't really an option, so they chose less memory.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
8GB/32GB? Really? The Xbox 360 launched with 20GB back in 2005. This will SEVERELY limit the it's capabilities as a downloadable platform unless large memory expansion is possible easily and relatively cheaply.
Four USB ports and an SDHC slot.

Edit: Ninja'd