Nintendo Says No to Skyward Sword Southpaw Mode

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Well considering my job requires me to be somewhat ambidextrous, I'm used to using either hand for pretty much anything except writing. I don't see how people can have problems doing swordplay on the Wii with either hand, as it's not perfect anyways.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I'm right handed, but I wish they'd made Link a Lefty. I would have tried playing that way for the full Link Experience.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
This isn't some little indie studio trying to make something decent from limited resources and a budget of peanuts, this is Nindendo we're talking about. Where do they get off being so lazy?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
May I pint out traditionally, the sword was in the left hand anyway, since you needed your strongest hand to hold up your very heavy shield?

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
I really couldn't care less, I can use both of my hands fine. I don't see why people can't, it's simple...Then again, I can't whistle, so what do I know.

And, who cares if Link is left or right handed? My god, it's a game, get over it. I just hope that the game is good!

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Wait how is this NOT left hand compatible? Just switch hands.The only difference would be link still holding the sword in the right hand, and the only buttons that are in different spots would be the - and + buttons, all the rest run vertical.

Cry some more? I'm left handed and can see no big deal in this. Unless I'm missing something important.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
I'm left handed but I'm used to being right handed with my games...just figured out why my aiming in FPS games for console isn't as good as it should be. Now that I think about it, superior tactics is usually what set me ahead of the competition.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Trishbot said:
I'm a purist, so Link will always be left-handed to me.

Not making Link left-handed is like shaving Mario's mustache, kicking Star Fox out of his Arwing, or turning the great Samus Aran into whimpering cry baby. It's just WRONG.
There was a game where Mario's mustache was shaved off?

OT: I honestly don't mind this to be honest.

Hell, I didn't even notice that Link was left handed in his past games until someone pointed out that he was right handed in Twilight Princess. So to me it really isn't that big a deal.

That being said, it probably wouldn't kill Nintendo to make a left handed option for the lefties out there. I mean creating the option to change the controls around isn't that difficult is it?

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Would it really have been so difficult? I mean, I don't mean to whine here, it certainly won't affect my experience of the game, but this seems like maybe a week's worth of effort on the part of one team member to fix. I don't see there being a reasonable excuse other than "we don't wanna."

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
Why is it so hard to make an option for left-handed people? Can someone explain this to me? Seriously is it really that difficult?

jakegold

Oct 7, 2010
As a leftie and a Zelda fan, I must say something on this.

Ignoring the issue of what handedness Link is (as a cultural symbol I respect him) I must say that I will have a lot of trouble playing it. All right handed people should play LoZ:TP or Red Steel 2 left-handed, and tell me how that goes.

I use southpaw or default on my N64, Xbox and 360, but I cannot do it on the Wii, due to the natural left-handed need to hit things with my dominant hand (made Shield bashes and sword spins get mixed up at times), but most lefties have evolved some form of Ambihandedness (Dexerity means right and I refuse to use it), as scissors, can openers, bicycles and even elevators are made for the RIGHT MAN.

BTW: I have played and raged quit so many times over Red Steel 2 and Twilight Princess due to the difficulty of either switching hands or screwed up hand movements.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
Am I really the only person who thought that the title said that Nintendo hates democrats?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
This thread is making me sad. Several people here are claiming that they won't buy a game because the character is right handed. How about you take a step back and think how fucking stupid you look for complaining about such a mundane detail.

If you don't want to buy the game because you weren't interested, or you hate Nintendo, or think that Zelda is becoming stale, fine, state it like that instead. But to say that the character doesn't fit every detail you have imagined about him COMPLETELY RUINS the game for you, then you deserve to be treated like the babies you are acting like. Who knows, maybe the game will be crap and you won't have missed out on anything, but stop acting like damn fools!

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
I...don't really care.

I'm a leftie, and having grown up in a right-handed world just makes you eventually get used to using your right hand for stuff.

This isn't a big deal to me.