Nintendo says Super Mario Run "Did Not Meet Our Expectations"

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Hopefully Nintendo learns the proper lessons from this.

1) Don't overprice your game on the mobile market especially when runners are a dime a dozen (or should I say a dime a thousand).

2) Don't simply assume you need to 'dumb down' all your properties to exist on mobile. I'm sure plenty of people would like a proper platforming Mario on mobile. Take this risk and charge COMPETITIVELY.

3) Test the waters with some virtual console titles on mobile.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
Seems pretty simple to me. They priced themselves out of the market. Running some basic math, they made roughly $39m gross sales. Now, let's say they charged $2.50 for the game. At that price I'd imagine they could probably get anywhere from 30% - 50% rather than the 5% they got now. Which would result in gross sales of about $58.5m - $97.5m

Now, this is very basic math, and based on assumptions, but I fell like at a much lower price point they could have exponentially increased sales.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
As a side note, there are game system emulators you can get for you phones that can play the ROMs. These Roms, if they existed, would undoubtedly offer a better Mario experience than a runner game.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
I remember saying when it was released that the free part of the game doesn't come close to giving you enough of a feel of the game to warrant paying any price for it, let alone $10.

If they had extended the free portion to a longer section of the game, they may have found the percentage of people actually buying it rise. I'd pay $10 for a decent Mario mobile game, but not when I'm not sure of the quality of what I'm getting.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Lizzy Finnegan said:
Nintendo stated that it plans to release 2-3 mobile games per year
Huh, I thought they were planning more games than that for the Switch.

More seriously though, 5% of people who downloaded a terrible F2P runner with a Mario skin actually paid $10 for it even after seeing how bad it was? That's an amazing conversion rate even for a good mobile game, let alone such a mediocre, high-priced one. Did Nintendo not do any research at all on mobile gaming before deciding to enter the market? All games using this sort of model rely on getting a tiny percentage of people to actually pay, and most of them would be ecstatic if they managed a hit rate as high as 5%. If Nintendo expected significantly more than that, in a market overwhelmingly not filled with dedicated Nintendo fans, they clearly don't have a clue what they're doing.