Nintendo Still Atop The Charts

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Nintendo Still Atop The Charts

Nintendo is still leading the pack, with the latest U.S. numbers from NPD putting the Wii and the DS atop console sales, and 5 out of the top 10 bestselling games exclusive to the Wii.

Despite Wii Fit Plus [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001TORSII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968926&sr=1-1] bundled with the Balance Board selling a staggering 555.7k units. As for consoles, the Wii sold 465 thousand copies and the DS sold 422k. The Xbox 360 nabbed 2nd place with 332 thousand units sold and poor Sony was in third place with only 277 thousand PS3s bought in January. Of course, people are still buying the PS2, with 41.6k of them sold last month, along with 100 thousand PSPs.

Overall, videogame sales fell 13% from the same period last year, with hardware sales hit harder than software with a 21% drop. The only bright spot is that sales of videogame accessories climbed 2%, from $211.8 million to $217 million. Yay!

It's important to note that these are numbers for the United States only and that worldwide numbers are much different. The software sales numbers include collecter's editions and the like but not games bundled with consoles like the MW2 bundles.

Not only is Nintendo the King of Consoles, but it's kicking ass in software sales too. Nintendo grabbed two out of the top 3 spots with games that were released last year, one of which is bundled with an expensive accessory, the Balance Board. The other three Wii titles in the top ten were #5 Just Dance [http://www.amazon.com/Mario-Kart-Wii-Wheel-Nintendo/dp/B000XJNTNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279573483&sr=1-1], which was the only Wii title not made by Nintendo (Ubisoft) on the list.

There are four Xbox 360 games in the top ten for January: #2 ME2, #4 Darksiders [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278694263&sr=1-1]. The only PS3 titles to crack the list was its version of MW2 at #7.

Here's the complete software list followed by units sold for your edification:

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII - Wii - 656.7K
MASS EFFECT 2 - 360 - 572.1K
WII FIT PLUS W/ BALANCE BOARD - Wii - 555.7K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2 - 360 -326.7K
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL - Wii - 310.9K
SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS - Wii - 297.6K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2 - PS3 -259.0K
ARMY OF TWO: THE 40TH DAY - 360 -246.5K
JUST DANCE - Wii - 191.9K
DARKSIDERS - 360 -171.2k

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Ouch. ME2 outsold by Super Mario Bros. Well, to be fair, it only had a few days of sales in January due to end of month release, while NSMBWii had all month.

Darksiders has no excuse for being outsold by Just Dance, however. What the fuck happened there?

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
For once I'd like Nintendo not to be on top.

And my inner S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan was disappointed at a lack of Call of Pripyat.

Drexler

Nov 20, 2009
dududf said:

That's been released in the us?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Not surprised by this actually. Nintendo audiences are much more varied than the others

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Drexler said:
dududf said:

That's been released in the us?
Yeah for a couple of days.

30$ off of steam oddly.

I've had the game since November though...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Crimsane said:
Ouch. ME2 outsold by Super Mario Bros. Well, to be fair, it only had a few days of sales in January due to end of month release, while NSMBWii had all month.
I'd be curious to see the combined ME2 sales, seeing as this number is only the 360 edition and not the PC.

For that matter, if you add the MW2 sales together, you've got 585.7k sales. Still shy of #1, but that's also not counting PC sales - though I get the feeling that the proportion of total sales for ME2 might be skewed further towards the PC than MW2.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I...i...just don't understand. Are families and little children so stupid enough to play the pathetic games like Super Mario which has been done BEFORE TONS OF TIMES ALREADY.Ugh.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
"Wii would like to own your charts"

Man. Go Nintendo. That's like three years running, now. Though, Come April, the PS3 should have a higher spot, what with having a month of sales for one of it's biggest titles.

Flamezdudes said:
I...i...just don't understand. Are families and little children so stupid enough to play the pathetic games like Super Mario which has been done BEFORE TONS OF TIMES ALREADY.Ugh.
You haven't played the new one yet, have you? Tsk. And "so stupid enough" is an adverb-adjective-adverb. Tsk again. That'll cost you a few points. *makes some notes on a clipboard* You really ought to give it a go, before dumping loads of septic opinion on it.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
Crimsane said:

Darksiders has no excuse for being outsold by Just Dance, however. What the fuck happened there?
Maybe War should make a cameo appearance in some "Just Dance" DLC...

That picture of the golden wii still makes me smile "It prints money!"

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Wow 3 years running and nintendo is still kicking ass and taking names still don't understand how many people think Wii owners don't buy games when over half of the top ten best sellers are Wii exclusive titles

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Overall, videogame sales fell 13% from the same period last year, with hardware sales hit harder than software with a 21% drop. The only bright spot is that sales of videogame accessories climbed 2%, from $211.8 million to $217 million. Yay!
That's to be expected though. We're 4+ years into the current generation. Game companies shouldn't expect console sales to keep going up so far into their lives. But that's what accessories are for I guess and why MS and Sony are coming out with silly motion controls.

Apr 28, 2008
I have a theory why Nintendo's games keep selling.

Its because you can play them with an actual person in the same room instead of some douche on the internet calling you an "uber-fag."

Sure, you can play MW2 and Army of Two on 1 TV, but they just don't have the accessibility New Super Mario Bros. or Wii Sports Resort does.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Hardware sales are probably just dropping because of people owning all the hardware already (given the huge proportion of people with consoles these days).