Nintendo Stock Doubles In Last Few Months, Now Bigger Than Sony

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
KazeAizen said:
While Sony has these titles and seems to be trying to get in on Nintendo's terf its really really really freaking hard to do so. I'd equate it to someone with a level 5 Charmander fighting against a level 100 Arceus. It won't end well. I mean we all did see what happened when Sony made the PSP and Vita right? I mean I love KH: Birth by Sleep on my PSP but other then that it does nothing for me.

Personally I just think its a shame that Nintendo is the only one that has constantly aimed at that market because of it no one else can get a foot hold in it.
Yeah, that is the thing with Sony and MS: they don't seem to be all that interested in trying to get younger players on board. They show no interest in expanding their audience. Okay, well they DO, but not in the correct way. Instead of trying to get COMPLETELY new players on board they seem content to try and cannibalize the players of their competition. Not a good strategy. Furthermore, what few efforts they DO make to appeal to the younger crowd come off as a hollow and token, showing that they don't really GET that demographic. They only get the superficial qualities and not the actual heart of it. Though when you think about it, that makes complete sense as to why they don't get that demographic as their origins are in electronics, not an industry known for appealing the kids, but instead teenagers at the youngest. Nintendo was essentially always a toy manufacturer so they get kids perfectly.

And when it comes to handhelds forget it. Sony has never treated their handhelds as anything more than a side project. They seem to have just outright forgotten about the Vita and have now resorted to shilling it as a PS4 accessory. Bad move.

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
Neronium said:
In the end though the PSP sold 80 million units worldwide, which isn't bad for the company's first handheld. Definitely better than the last handheld that actually tried to compete with Nintendo, the SEGA Game Gear. Didn't help as well that a lot of PSP games sadly were never localized, because the Japanese PSP games list is amazing.
PS Vita is in the stinker though, but there is some possible hope for it with the PS4. Only really big problem with Sony and the Vita right now are the games, and the memory card price.
Yes this is exactly the reason. I just bought a Vita and a PS4. I am loving both of them. People may shit on the Vita but it is a great handheld and with some more games I see it going far. Now that Sony has a reason for people to play for PS+ (besides the free games and such) I feel like they will make a bit more money back. Free online service is not the way to go sadly. Running something that is just sucking money from your company is never a good strategy. Microsoft knew it when they started xbox live. I am so glad though that they are at least giving the people paying something else. But yes please god give me some memory cards at prices that are not highway robbery.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Dragonbums said:
EvilRoy said:
True, but if those divisions do start to endanger the company at large they can fulfill their second purpose which is to act as sacrificial lambs. The company would certainly suffer a heavy strike to stock, but it tends to be very recoverable since the lead weight has been removed.
If that were the case than the gaming division would most definitely of been the first branch to get the axe because I don't a branch that sunk them in a $5billion debt, and forced them to sell both their US headquarters was worth keeping. Of course I'm also suspecting that a lot of heads went rolling, and there was a huge dose of dog begging on the games division part to keep the console sector of Sony alive. I also guess it helped that the PS line has been successful prior unlike the Xbox division.

Plus the company has its major fallback, the insurance division, which makes the profit responsible for keeping the other divisions from sinking the company.
That's still a heavy loss to Sony regardless. Going from a multimedia entertainment industry with influence around the world to simply a Japanese insurance agency is still a pretty high fall from grace regardless if that still makes them enough money to support their other dying branches. While it means that Sony doesn't shut down, it does mean that investors aren't going to be all that chipper to put their stock money into a company that's only real influence is in Japan and the surrounding areas.
You would be surprised with respect to how investors view it. So long as the company demonstrates that it can recover, its more than likely that a fair number of investors will reinvest heavily on the lower stock price in order to short term recoup losses on their original investment. This has the dual effect of boosting the stock price and giving Sony more to work with, improving chances for recovery overall.

It might be a blow to the company in terms of prestige to lose some of its multinational influence, but that won't necessarily negatively effect their ability to survive. I've got stocks in companies I've never heard of that operate in countries I've never seen, simply because I needed a few safe bets for my RRSP. Everything is fair game as long as its listed. Larger investors have even fewer qualms about investing overseas if that's where the money is.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
This is good news for all of the games industry, not just Nintendo. I expect other stocks might have risen elsewhere too. Nothing to write home about as its expected. Nintendo will always make their money somehow, we get it.

I just hope this doesn't lead to games being dumbed down for others. We need only look at the BF4 China Rising level, making the chinese government rather vex over nothing.