Nintendo Switch becomes the fastest selling videogame console in US History

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
The most played 3rd party game is none other than the 6 year old Skyrim.
Yeah, but Skyrim is weird like that -- Everybody complains about it being re-released, yet everybody keeps on buying the damn thing over and over. It was the running gag at E3 '17.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Casual Shinji said:
Everybody complains about it being re-released, yet everybody keeps on buying the damn thing over and over. It was the running gag at E3 '17.
They do? Are people actually buying Skyrim over and over, or is it just new people?

I mean, maybe there's a market for Skyrim being played portably, but other than that...

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
my bad, it's the 2nd most played 3rd Party Switch Game.

Minecraft is played more.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yoshi178 said:
People shit on Nintendo's third party support all the time.

it's interesting though that 9 out of the top 20 games on Nintendo Switch, are 3rd Party games, and the most played one of those 3rd Party games, is the exact same game example people used when they were shitting on Nintendo 3rd Party support. The most played 3rd party game is none other than the 6 year old Skyrim.
People shit on Nintendo for this BEFORE the Switch. When it was deserved. Nintendo has changed policy from late Wii U era and should be praised.

As to the original question - I didnt see that much hate here for the Switch. Concern, sure - we had been burned by the Wii U and the Wii didnt have that many good games. GameCube was pretty bad as well. Three generations of lacklustre consoling from Nintendo.

Me personally, I was worried that it would be good but I hoped it would. If you take that as wanting it to be a massive flop, sure go ahead. I, personally, don't think saying concerns means asking for disaster.

EDIT: That first ad campaign was trash. I only bought a Switch very recently, mostly due to the stupidity of that ad.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hawki said:
Casual Shinji said:
Everybody complains about it being re-released, yet everybody keeps on buying the damn thing over and over. It was the running gag at E3 '17.
They do? Are people actually buying Skyrim over and over, or is it just new people?

I mean, maybe there's a market for Skyrim being played portably, but other than that...
I doubt it. At least, I think.

After all these years Skyrim is still weirdly popular among the hardcore Elder Scrolls fans, it seems. I don't have any hard data, but I reckon the remaster for PS4/Xbone sold like crazy, too.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
trunkage said:
Yoshi178 said:

it's interesting though that 9 out of the top 20 games on Nintendo Switch, are 3rd Party games, and the most played one of those 3rd Party games, is the exact same game example people used when they were shitting on Nintendo 3rd Party support. The most played 3rd party game is none other than the 6 year old Skyrim.
People shit on Nintendo for this BEFORE the Switch. When it was deserved. Nintendo has changed policy from late Wii U era and should be praised.
No people were definitely still shitting on the Switch's 3rd Party support even halfway through last year.

it's only since about November that people have started to quiet down about game support on the switch. before it was all just "hurr durr, Switch will only ever get ports of shitty 6 year old games like Skyrim." then Wolfenstein II got announced and people have only gotten quieter and quieter since then as more stuff has gotten announced for the thing.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yoshi178 said:
trunkage said:
Yoshi178 said:

No people were definitely still shitting on the Switch's 3rd Party support even halfway through last year.

it's only since about November that people have started to quiet down about game support on the switch. before it was all just "hurr durr, Switch will only ever get ports of shitty 6 year old games like Skyrim." then Wolfenstein II got announced and people have only gotten quieter and quieter since then as more stuff has gotten announced for the thing.
Didn't the Switch only come out in March? How many 3rd party games were out by then? Some were announced but nothing stand out by June. I don't take what companies say they are going to do as gospel. I look at what they do. It wasn't until Rabbits v Mario and Golf Story came out and were good that I started changing my mind.

Nintendo had a lot of bad years to make up for. 6 to 8 mths is an incredibly fast turn around.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
trunkage said:
Yoshi178 said:
trunkage said:
Yoshi178 said:

Didn't the Switch only come out in March? How many 3rd party games were out by then? Some were announced but nothing stand out by June. I don't take what companies say they are going to do as gospel. I look at what they do. It wasn't until Rabbits v Mario and Golf Story came out and were good that I started changing my mind.

Nintendo had a lot of bad years to make up for. 6 to 8 mths is an incredibly fast turn around.
Yeah, there wasn't heaps of 3rd Party Support at the Switches launch. everyone here laughed their ass off at me when i told them that at that time, 3rd Parties were clearly still testing the waters with the Switch, and that 3rd Party Support would increase when Developers saw sales results.

The Switch selling shitloads last year and even a game like like Ultimate Street Fighter II surpassed Capcom's sales expectations. now that 3rd Parties have seen sales results, it's only just now in the last month or two that we're now slowly starting to see that 3rd Parties are starting to change their attitude towards switch, and now that they've seen sales for the Switch and they're ports, we're now beginning to see them start taking the console more seriously and start developing their higher budget games for the system.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Yeah, I can see the Switch doing pretty well.

I have one, play it an average of a half hour to hour each day. I have to take the bus and train most days, and the Switch slots into that niche of being easier than my laptop, that can involve other people easily, allows easy dropin-drop out gameplay, but doesn't break that cardinal rule of being too heavy.

The price tag for that is a bit steep, but Nintendo has never been about the paupers and Nintendo has never shied way from publicly expressing its desire to be fiscally conservative. Producing consoles usually at cost of manufacture while also then having incredibly market concentration for their software.

I think what rubs people the wrong way is that hardware-software dilemma that somehow Nintendo is 'cheating' people out of being able to play their games by remaining a console maker. But the fact of the matter is they wouldn't be producing as many games as they are without the heavy lateral expansion and market consolidation that comes through being a console maker. There is a reason Atari and Sega are a shadow of their former selves.

The price of wanting to play Nintendo games, and their copious delivery of quality games, has always been tied directly to market exclusivity.

It costs money to have three simultaneous Zelda games in development at any one time. And that's just Zelda, not any of their other stuff like a new Mario or Kirby. If you can't command high sales through market exclusivity and growing your sphere of influence with each release, then suddenly those games are going to bite the dust both in quality and quantity.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
The Switch is still bottom of the barrel by FAR when it comes to 3rd-party support. Sure, it's getting some games but there's a HUGE difference between the amount of 3rd-party games available for Switch compared to PS4/Xbone. The reason that Nintendo is not competing with Sony and Microsoft is because the Switch can't be your primary gaming platform because you'd just be missing out on way too many games (unless you're a total Nintendo fanboy and you just care about Nintendo games). Funny thing is that the reason why several 3rd-party games are coming to the Switch is because of Sony actually (I wonder if Yoshi can figure that one out). Lastly, Nintendo sorta blew their load last year and 2018 is easily going to be much less stellar with game releases.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
Yeah, there wasn't heaps of 3rd Party Support at the Switches launch. everyone here laughed their ass off at me when i told them that at that time, 3rd Parties were clearly still testing the waters with the Switch, and that 3rd Party Support would increase when Developers saw sales results.

The Switch selling shitloads last year and even a game like like Ultimate Street Fighter II surpassed Capcom's sales expectations. now that 3rd Parties have seen sales results, it's only just now in the last month or two that we're now slowly starting to see that 3rd Parties are starting to change their attitude towards switch, and now that they've seen sales for the Switch and they're ports, we're now beginning to see them start taking the console more seriously and start developing their higher budget games for the system.
Plus the lack of 3rd party support is clearly a moot point considering how much the Switch sold anyway. If people buy it in spite of that, then it's clear 3rd parties aren't a make or break. 2018 will be an interesting year because Nintendo already has some titles in the pipe like Octopath Traveler and Valkyria Chronicles 4, but considering how tightly Nintendo keeps things to the chest they probably have some bombshells they're going to announce soon.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Phoenixmgs said:
Nintendo sorta blew their load last year and 2018 is easily going to be much less stellar with game releases.
If you think things like Pokemon Switch and Animal Crossing Switch aren't possibly going to sell high numbers then you'd be deluded.

I don't even like Animal Crossing but i can still recognize that it's a big system seller to all the normies out there.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Nintendo sorta blew their load last year and 2018 is easily going to be much less stellar with game releases.
If you think things like Pokemon Switch and Animal Crossing Switch aren't possibly going to sell high numbers then you'd be deluded.

I don't even like Animal Crossing but i can still recognize that it's a big system seller to all the normies out there.
To be fair, neither Pokemon nor Animal Crossing has actually been announced (Yes I know they said they are working on a new Pokemon for the switch.) As of right now, we have no official confirmation of either coming in 2018. Having said that, I do believe it is likely we will see Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon in 2018. Right now, as far as I'm aware, the only games I know for sure Nintendo is putting out in 2018 is Yoshi, Kirby, and Bayonetta, all great series, and likely to move some units, but I wouldn't call any of those bombshell releases (Like BOTW, or Odyssey.)

Now I will say that I've owned a switch since it launched and I love the thing. I use it as a handheld more than anything, and it is great for that. Docked play is fun too, but there is just something about playing console games on the go. Nintendo had a good 2017, no arguing that fact. Hoping 2018 follows suit. Waiting for that supposed direct to come. At the end of the day, I say good on Nintendo for making the Switch. PS4 is still selling well, I've heard the One-X is doing pretty well, and of course the Switch is selling very well. This is a good thing for the industry. A competitive market is generally good for the end consumer.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Randomosity said:
Yoshi178 said:
Phoenixmgs said:

To be fair, neither Pokemon nor Animal Crossing has actually been announced (Yes I know they said they are working on a new Pokemon for the switch.) As of right now, we have no official confirmation of either coming in 2018. Having said that, I do believe it is likely we will see Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon in 2018. Right now, as far as I'm aware, the only games I know for sure Nintendo is putting out in 2018 is Yoshi, Kirby, and Bayonetta, all great series, and likely to move some units, but I wouldn't call any of those bombshell releases (Like BOTW, or Odyssey.)
Actually Fire Emblem Switch was already confirmed for a 2018 release in last years Fire Emblem Direct.

As for Pokemon and Animal Crossing. yeah technically Animal Crossing hasn't been announced for Switch yet but i think it's pretty safe bet that we'll see it sooner rather than later. and with Pokemon Switch, while didn't say definitely 2018 they did say they were aiming for a 2018 release, and given that we don't know actually how far along in the development process they already were at the time of E3 2017, also the fact that Nintendo managed to keep all of their release promise's for 2017 including a a game as huge as Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which everyone said there was no way it would come out in 2017, late 2018-early 2019 at the earliest, Nintendo still managed to keep all of their promise's and release every major game that they said would come out in 2017.

In fact i'm pretty sure the only Promise that Nintendo didn't actually keep last year was the release of Paid online which they first said was going to launch in late 2017 but then they delayed it to 2018. (and let's face it, who REALLY wants to pay for online play?)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Yoshi178 said:
Why would you all lie to me?
Because you're a dinosaur and dinosaurs are gullible, it's fun.

More seriously, 2017 has been an excellent year for Nintendo, I hope they can maintain that with software in 2018. A good Starfox and Metroid game would be greatly appreciatted.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
fix-the-spade said:
Yoshi178 said:
Why would you all lie to me?
Because you're a dinosaur and dinosaurs are gullible, it's fun.

More seriously, 2017 has been an excellent year for Nintendo, I hope they can maintain that with software in 2018. A good Starfox and Metroid game would be greatly appreciatted.
Well we already got Metroid Samus Returns which is pretty damn good.

as for Star Fox, i haven't finished it yet, but that game isn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. people are just pissy because they don't like Motion controls. the only levels i didn't really like as i played it were the Landmaster battles.

The Landmaster had pretty bad controls but aside from that, i thought all of the other levels and control options were fine.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Well they did have a strong line-up last year. And the concept behind the console was quite easy to explain.

One thing I do wonder is to what extent people use it as a video game console and to what extent they use it as a mobile machine. That will probably affect what its forthcoming line-up will be.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
My guess for what 2018 will hold for the switch, (some confirmed, others are speculation.) In regards to Nintendo's line up, not particularly third party, are as follows

Confirmed: Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Kirby, and Bayonetta 1&2

Speculation: Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Bayonetta 3 (Might be 2019), A couple more WiiU ports (My guess would be Mario Maker and WindWaker HD.), Possibly a new IP of some kind (No basis for this, just a gut feeling), and one or two Third Party Licensed titles (See Hyrule Warriors, Mario and Rabbids, and Fire Emblem Warriors.)

As for 2019, I think that is when we will see Smash Bros and Prime 4.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
fix-the-spade said:
A good Starfox and Metroid game would be greatly appreciatted.
A good Star Fox game again? What madness is this?

Yoshi178 said:
as for Star Fox, i haven't finished it yet, but that game isn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. people are just pissy because they don't like Motion controls. the only levels i didn't really like as i played it were the Landmaster battles.
Gee, imagine that, people not liking motion controls. Can't imagine why...

Also, even casting aside motion controls, Zero is offputting in another sense that it's yet another damn reboot for the series, telling the same story for the third time. While the gameplay of Command was tripe, its endings did allow for some interesting future content, such as Marcus McCloud and Dash following in Andross's footsteps. But, no, the reset button was hit again because...reasons.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hawki said:
Zero is offputting in another sense that it's yet another damn reboot for the series.
Same deal with the "new" Metroid game really, just another remake/rehash/remaster of an old game.