Nintendo Switch Launch Date and Price Announced

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo Switch Launch Date and Price Announced

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1368/1368309.jpgAt the Switch event tonight in Japan, Nintendo revealed the release date and price for the Nintendo Switch.

Onstage at Nintendo's Switch event tonight in Japan, Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima took the stage, and immediately announced the release date and the price for the Nintendo Switch. If you're super excited about the Switch, you won't have to wait long to get your hands on it.

The Nintendo Switch will release on March 3, 2017 in the US, Japan, Canada, most European countries, Hong Kong, and other territories.

"Nintendo Switch is a brand-new kind of home gaming system that offers a wide variety of play modes," said Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima. "We will introduce the world to new experiences made possible by the unique characteristics of the Nintendo Switch hardware and the Joy-Con."

But now that we know when it will launch, there's a more important question: how much will it cost? That was announced as well.

You can expect to see the Switch in stores for $299.99 in the US. That's not as high as the $399 price that was rumored earlier in the week, but it's higher than the $249.99 price that was bandied about.

What do you think? Will you pick up the Switch for $299.99, or the price a dealbreaker?

[gallery=6797]

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
About the price I expected, and definitely picking it up at some point when I have spare change.

All I need is Metroid. There's still hope, right?

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Too expensive.

Only the trailer for Breast of the Wild was amazing, and that Mario part. Other than that... What the hell was that from SEGA? "Hi, I'm from SEGA and we're developing for the Switch, bye."

Other than that, it was a bit underwhelming. What about...

trigger buttons? 2nd L + R shoulder buttons? You know, to port stuff over more easily. Have also to say that trigger buttons simply are amazing and IMO necessary nowadays. Not just for porting-reasons.

What games will launch with the system? Except for Zelda and that cowboy party game, maybe this boxing party game. (I know that they mean this game to be taken seriously, but I have a hard time doing that.)

What was that Mario Kart 8 stuff? Just a port? How much will that cost?

What about old IPs? What about something... unexpected, aside from Mario?

And Mario will be released back in the holidays... Metroid? F-Zero? F-Zero could showcase the mode-7 capabilities. Smash port, maybe? How about that?

Meh. Mario + Zelda, both for real, though. Other than that...

Paid online service... Done by Nintendo... I mean, alright, everybody needs money now. But Nintendo's online skills have been mediocre to say the least. Feels more like a reason to flip Nintendo off than to swollow the pill.

Also, that EA part was... I don't know... That black EA logo on a red background... that guy... FIFA... got some weird vibes from that.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
so the thing have also a touch screen after all. Skyrim is confirmed for the switch, but with no date. hopefully they will have it for launch day.

also, 6 hours battery life. but it may change depending on what you do with it. apparently, you can play 3 hours straight of zelda breath of the wild on a single charge

for the online srvice, first i think it's strange that it use your tablet or phone to work. and they give you a nes or snes game to play for free each month ? that's... usefull ?

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
$300?

Heck, I paid far more when I bought my PS4, I might get Switch if I get the money (knowing me though, I might end up waiting until it goes on sale.)

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
So Mario, Zelda, and some last gen games?

Let me know when Atlus and Fromsoft get involved.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
Is there a game included for $300... if no game is included - I'd be waiting on Splatoon 2

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Fox12 said:

Atlus was in the presentation, they announced a new shin megami tensei game.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Cold Shiny said:
Fox12 said:

Atlus was in the presentation, they announced a new shin megami tensei game.
I was just watching that, actually. I'll eat some crow. A new SMT game, and a 16 bit square title? Fire Emblem Warriors? Alright Nintendo, you have my curiosity. Lets see if you can get my attention.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
I just don't want one, to be honest.

It looks to me like Nintendo is stubbornly refusing to use the proven formula, hoping that the Wii lightning strikes again. From what I've seen, they've not really convinced me to buy one; the hardware actually looks kinda uncomfortable to use, and I have zero use for the fancy screen they included. I have other options for mobile gaming, even though the 3DS is probably gonna fall by the wayside before too much longer.

Long and short, the hardware doesn't look like anything special, they're making you pay for online services (may be standard now, but that doesn't mean I can't hate it all the same), my favorite IPs have been dormant for too long, and I see no sign of Metroid or F-Zero here. Pass.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
The hardware is very impressive. If not graphically (though it was quite pretty), but technologically. Kind of neat how much stuff they managed to shove into those little controllers.

That being said, most of the games they showed look pretty neat, but I'm not quite sold on it just yet. They are really pushing the whole social and portability aspect of the system, but honestly, I feel like those would go to waste in my hands. I can't see myself carrying the Switch anywhere, for fear of losing it, having it stolen, breaking it, or what have you. So like with the Wii U, it'll have to be the game library that sells it to me.

Hiddelgreyk

Sep 29, 2015
Naldan said:
trigger buttons? 2nd L + R shoulder buttons? You know, to port stuff over more easily. Have also to say that trigger buttons simply are amazing and IMO necessary nowadays. Not just for porting-reasons.
Wait HUH? They don't have those?
Are you absolutely sure?
Even as a huge Fanboy, I have to ask: "Why, Nintendo? Were the designers high or something? For fuck's sake, even your very own 3DS has those now! (In theory. I don't know how successful the >New< 3DS is.)"

I still really want dis console tho.

Naldan said:
Breast of the Wild
Pfff :D

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I want one. I will certainly be getting this baby second hand a few years down the line, like every other console I use.

MetalheroDamien

Blackwing Hybrid Hero
Mar 25, 2010
Hiddelgreyk said:
Naldan said:
Are you absolutely sure?
Even as a huge Fanboy, I have to ask: "Why, Nintendo? Were the designers high or something? For fuck's sake, even your very own 3DS has those now! (In theory. I don't know how successful the >New< 3DS is.)"

I still really want dis console tho.
I'm not sure what console you were looking at, but the one they showed clearly had at least two different sets of them, Although to be fair they are mutually exclusive (one set on the "top" of the individual controller, with another set on the "side", to use when holding it sideways, like an NES controller.)

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Hiddelgreyk said:
Naldan said:
The Switch Pro controller clearly has shoulder triggers (if you're planning on playing lots of ports, I imagine you basically have to use that), but the because of the way the main switch controller is, you're meant to be able to use each half as a separate paddle, there are shoulder buttons on each paddle but not a trigger.

I never plan on buying a home console again unless it can do housework/play pokemon, so I don't consider myself to have much of a dog in the fight I guess. It seemed like a neat enough concept from the beginning and there was nothing in the presentation that would lessen my opinion of it. Some on-stage demonstrations would have been nice, simply from a consumer perspective, and aside from asking people to buy Skyrim for a third time, the games displayed looked fairly fun, but I would definitely wait for more.

SlumlordThanatos said:
It looks to me like Nintendo is stubbornly refusing to use the proven formula, hoping that the Wii lightning strikes again.
What is this proven formula you speak of? I'm sure Nintendo execs would like to know. People aren't going to buy a PS4/Xbone with Nintendo branded on the front, it became clear during the Gamecube era that it was a different market, hence why they went with the Wii, which was more of a success, for sure. The Wii U is probably the only console of theirs which could be considered a "failure" (depending on how one defines the term).

I think their goal in this one is to combine some of the novelty and differences with the Wii with a more straightforward game console. The only question will be whether or not they try to replace their handhelds with this thing. With a crappy battery life, that would be unwelcome news for me.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
How strong it's 3rd party support will be in the first 6 months will be what decides it for me. And no, release Skyrim (a 6 year old game) doesn't count.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
The presentation turned from persuasion to a comedy format when I heard about paid online.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Of course they had to lay out bait. Xc2 which I was hoping would just turn out being xcx and a new smt, luckily smt will likely be over a year before released in the US. I sure don't like the price and feel it's a huge ripoff for what you get. We'll see. Not buying at launch. I refuse.