Nintendo Switch Launch Date and Price Announced

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Those are nice numbers, Nintendo. Nice numbers indeed. Sorry, VR...you aren't wooing this casual asshole anytime soon.

Hiddelgreyk

Sep 29, 2015
MetalheroDamien said:
Hiddelgreyk said:
Naldan said:
trigger buttons? 2nd L + R shoulder buttons? You know, to port stuff over more easily. Have also to say that trigger buttons simply are amazing and IMO necessary nowadays. Not just for porting-reasons.
Wait HUH? They don't have those?
Are you absolutely sure?
Even as a huge Fanboy, I have to ask: "Why, Nintendo? Were the designers high or something? For fuck's sake, even your very own 3DS has those now! (In theory. I don't know how successful the >New< 3DS is.)"
I'm not sure what console you were looking at, but the one they showed clearly had at least two different sets of them, Although to be fair they are mutually exclusive (one set on the "top" of the individual controller, with another set on the "side", to use when holding it sideways, like an NES controller.)
Okay nevermind, I've now seen the presentation for myself.
It definitely looks like they have 2 sets of L/R buttons (Bumpers and Triggers) afterall.
All is good once again.

drkchmst said:
Of course they had to lay out bait. Xc2 which I was hoping would just turn out being xcx and a new smt, luckily smt will likely be over a year before released in the US. I sure don't like the price and feel it's a huge ripoff for what you get. We'll see. Not buying at launch. I refuse.
I'd rather have a sequel to Xenoblade X (also I'm not done with Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii yet)

MetalheroDamien

Blackwing Hybrid Hero
Mar 25, 2010
hentropy said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
It looks to me like Nintendo is stubbornly refusing to use the proven formula, hoping that the Wii lightning strikes again.
What is this proven formula you speak of? I'm sure Nintendo execs would like to know. People aren't going to buy a PS4/Xbone with Nintendo branded on the front, it became clear during the Gamecube era that it was a different market, hence why they went with the Wii, which was more of a success, for sure. The Wii U is probably the only console of theirs which could be considered a "failure" (depending on how one defines the term).

I think their goal in this one is to combine some of the novelty and differences with the Wii with a more straightforward game console. The only question will be whether or not they try to replace their handhelds with this thing. With a crappy battery life, that would be unwelcome news for me.
Forgetting about The Virtual Boy there?

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
MetalheroDamien said:
hentropy said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
It looks to me like Nintendo is stubbornly refusing to use the proven formula, hoping that the Wii lightning strikes again.
What is this proven formula you speak of? I'm sure Nintendo execs would like to know. People aren't going to buy a PS4/Xbone with Nintendo branded on the front, it became clear during the Gamecube era that it was a different market, hence why they went with the Wii, which was more of a success, for sure. The Wii U is probably the only console of theirs which could be considered a "failure" (depending on how one defines the term).

I think their goal in this one is to combine some of the novelty and differences with the Wii with a more straightforward game console. The only question will be whether or not they try to replace their handhelds with this thing. With a crappy battery life, that would be unwelcome news for me.
Forgetting about The Virtual Boy there?
Everybody forgets about the Virtual Boy

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
the battery life is good. the price is a bit too high. considering that you don't get the sensible controller and have to buy that separate, the price goes up to at least 325$. (considering the controller is 25$. its not going to be). Zelda seems a little too generic. mario:eek:ddysey is just eugh. Skyrim isn't a selling point for me. unless it gets games that im interested in consider a pass from me

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
hentropy said:
ps2 was definitely an oddity in the console market. it is the best selling console in the history and was still being made after 15 years. and as we saw with the xbox you can compete with sony. the first Xbox wasn't a complete failure but it didnt perform great either. but as we saw the 360 was a huge success for MS. my point is that imo nintendo gave up too soon. I think nintendo got lucky with the Wii and thought they could bring out the next great thing again.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
sagitel said:
ps2 was definitely an oddity in the console market. it is the best selling console in the history and was still being made after 15 years. and as we saw with the xbox you can compete with sony. the first Xbox wasn't a complete failure but it didnt perform great either. but as we saw the 360 was a huge success for MS. my point is that imo nintendo gave up too soon. I think nintendo got lucky with the Wii and thought they could bring out the next great thing again.
The PS2 was so successful partially because its historically big library, many of which were exclusives for the PS2. That number of games, along with that kind of exclusive culture, is likely never going to be repeated again. I don't think it's crazy to suggest that Nintendo would have a hard time competing if they just tried to make limited-use PCs like the other consoles.

I give them credit for at least trying to add entertainment value and versatility to it, even if I personally hate things like 3D and wonky control schemes. It seems they addressed that issue by giving a lot of different choices for controls and play styles.

Now if only they could get the business end bolted down and make sure that there aren't constant supply problems...

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
That's not too bad actually. I mean it's going to sell like hotcakes anyway but it's definitely have looked way, way more attractive at the $250 mark since that's what the other consoles go for on sale.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Not touching this doom train until we actually see good games for it. One good game from Nintendo is not going to get me running to the store and unleashing 300 usd for a quirky console.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Okay, my most pressing concern with regards to the Switch was battery life. If the thing isn't portable, it would just be a console with an odd controller.

They said 2.5 to 6 hours. The commercially successful 3DS has a battery life of 3 to 5 hours. That's comparable.

They brought back motion controls? That was unexpected.

I am impressed by the joycons. It's amazing how much functionality they managed to cram into the things. The thing that worries me is that they might have tried too much with them and some features will be used in maybe two games, and otherwise be a gimmick. All the features also makes me worried in how they are going to advertise it to the general public; the Wii was laser-focused on motion controls and hence easy to market. I am a bit worried how they should market the things.

They want to charge for Internet access. Is that only for multiplayer services or other components of gaming(such as downloading levels in the sure-to-be-ported Super Mario Maker)? Either way it is a black mark to have an additional cost but it seems to be working for Sony.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
cathou said:
and this thing is 399$ in canada. 460$ with sale taxes
Yeah, it's going to sell terribly over here. You can buy a PS4 and a game or two for less. An XB1 is even cheaper. The accessories are also overpriced.

BOTW is not enough of a draw, and for anyone with a Wii U, it's not worth it. Nintendo needs to learn how to price better.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Hiddelgreyk said:
Wait HUH? They don't have those?
Are you absolutely sure?
Even as a huge Fanboy, I have to ask: "Why, Nintendo? Were the designers high or something? For fuck's sake, even your very own 3DS has those now! (In theory. I don't know how successful the >New< 3DS is.)"

Pfff :D
I'm very sure... OK, I'll check once more... ... ... oh, holy shit. They do have trigger buttons. What the hell, I had my eye-balls glued on the monitor yesterday and I was convinced, that... oh man.

Thank you. Thanks to you, I checked once again. They have trigger buttons. Thank god! :) And thank you primarily. What a relief.