Nintendo: The Wii Was Never Meant to Be "Casual"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Come on, you guys have actively stated otherwise before.

You might as well say the Nintendo 3DS was never intended to be a 3D console, it just happened someone put in a screen that does 3D.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
FateOrFatality said:
I liked the part where he called CoD players "core" gamers. Does this mean Nintendo is so casual it makes CoD look hardcore?
I've never seen such poor reading comprehension. Not only did the article not call CoD players "core" gamers, but Iwata never mentioned CoD at all.

I like Nintendo and I've defended their decisions and strategy on more than one occasion, but this argument here seems to be self-contradictory.

Admitting that the Wii was designed to be inviting to beginners is admitting that it was designed for the casual market. Of course, what really determines a console's appeal is it's games, and in this area, I agree that Nintendo has been making many games that appeal to a wide array of audiences and have been misunderstood and generalized into one large group labeled "kiddy"

I hate the terms "casual" and "hardcore" because of the amount of confusion that they cause. While waaaaaay too many people seem to think that the comparison can be likened to rated E vs rated M, the more conventional understanding is that "casual" refers to inexperienced or newcomer players while "hardcore" refers to experienced players. But even this doesn't make much sense. Are there casual and hardcore movie-goers? Book readers? Certainly. You don't read the Odyssey (sorry if that's the best "hardcore" book I could come up with) before you read Dr. Seuss and you don't watch Citizen Kane before you've seen.....oh I dunno.....Toy Story. Does this mean that you have to categorize books, movies, and the consumers into two different groups? No. That just stifles production creativity and objectifies and demeans your customers. Does this mean that Dr. Seuss and Toy Story are both poor choices for experienced readers/watchers? Quite the contrary.

It bugs me that so many who most would call "hardcore" gamers are really casual gamers with a very narrow field of interest (much of the time due to insecurity) when it comes to selecting games. They buy an 360/PS3, play CoD and Madden, but feel that games like Mario, Zelda, and Batman are beneath them. Even things like Limbo, Bastion, and Outland, they would not give a second thought or come close to considering purchasing. I cannot stress enough how very "casual" most of this group is. While they may own a PS3/360, most of them would never call themselves a gamer or claim that video games are a significant hobby of theirs. Dare I say that the average Wii owner may have a better chance of one day turning into a full-fledged and open-minded gaming consumer, which is what I consider a "harcore" gamer to be.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
This is basically the downfall we were all expecting. It was all a matter of time.

Now it's just deny, deny, deny. And spray and pray.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
RaikuFA said:
aegix drakan said:
By allowing gamers to communicate and share ideas, perhaps Nintendo would be better able to cater to the community at large. Iwata feels that Nintendo could meet that goal by "improving the coordination between video game systems and social media."
3 Words.

OPERATION !@#$ING RAINFALL!!!!!!!

We HAVE been communicating and sharing ideas! You CAN easily cater to the community at large! There is a HUGE base of people who want these games. You want an opportunity to acknowledge the gamer community? THIS IS IT. I don't care if reggie doesn't like it, go over his head and MAKE him release those games!

So yeah, go do that, and THEN we can talk about you guys not being purely defined by casual games, Nintendo.
THIS!!! And if it turns out its becsause of Reggie that we're not getting these games, fire his ass.
I been saying that shit for damn near 5 years Nintendo should fire Reggie's ass because he doesn't know gamers. All he's doing is pushing his own shit, the guy's a stuck up jackass. What kinda of person in his place of power just fucking says no they aren't gonna make money when they have 1000's of people willing to throw away their money for 3 games. Everywhere BUT the US are selling the games because ONE fucking jackass wannabe keeps saying NO because he's the fucking reason why the Wii is considered a casual console in the first place. Look at damn near everything he pushed it was party or a work out game if it wasn't that it was a Nintendo product. How are we suppose to think Nintendo is fucking serious when a majority of your Wii games are WORSE then your GBA/DS titles.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
It probably wasn't originally intended to be casual.

It was the second Nintendo got all the money pouring in from the casual market, that it became the casual console it is.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
FateOrFatality said:
I liked the part where he called CoD players "core" gamers. Does this mean Nintendo is so casual it makes CoD look hardcore?
I think you are mistaken. It isn't about the game. It is the player. I know some hardcore "ville" players who put so called hardcore gamers to shame with their dedication and time investment.

Mar 26, 2008
I think a more pertinent question is "how did they not make a loss during the GameCube years!?"

I'm guessing the Gameboy sales kept them in the black.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mike Kayatta said:
"Unless we create a flow from beginner to expert by offering an entrance for beginners and the processes for a beginner to become an intermediate user and from an intermediate to an advanced player, the video game industry will gradually shrink."
I find this kinda funny. Let's all think back to the first video games we played, people. I'm pretty sure that they were harder than Wii Sports.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Hey someone who actually believes in the notion of levels of engagement! ...and it get buried under a mountain of "wii is for casuals." Yeah, I can see the death of gaming right there, the self isolating and isolating crowd that refuses new members and xenophobically expels anyone not like itself. Well, you guys go have fun being in a shirking crowd of like minded people that slowly dies, I'm going to go do something not stupid related to games.

I like everything that he's saying and I think the Wii could have been a somewhat intermediate console but it's clear that there primary intention was getting non-gamers. That implies low level or "casual" gamers. I'm not sure how markets there system as an intermediate console but it would certainly need to be different from what Nintendo did with the Wii. I'd support the thing whole heartedly though we need more gap bridging systems if only to created a crowd of people who aren't a bunch of self-destructive dicks who hate anyone not as good as themselves.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Kysafen said:
I've never been more disappointed and let down by being a Wii-only owner this generation.

I'm planning to build my own PC for as much 3rd party support the Wii got.
I got a Wii at launch, and that was the only console I had from this generation. I was actually pretty ok with it for a while at first. Then I put together a pretty nice PC in 2008, and my Wii has seen almost zero use since then, aside from occasionally when other people are around. Do it. You will never look back. There are a million times more good games to choose from, and the games themselves are so much cheaper.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Mr. GameBrain said:
I'd argue that there are 3 entirely different levels of gamer here.

There is the casual gamer, if you can even call them that.
These are people like my parents, who don't really like videogames all that much.
They kind of find it overwhelmingly confusing, but if they find out about a fun social game to play then they will play it.

Beginner doesn't even come into it until the second level, the what people seem to be calling the "core" gamer.
These are people that are either getting back into gaming as a hobby, (they may have been exposed to it as kids, but it didn't really stick), or people who just like playing videogames as a hobby.

They don't care about the industry, they don't care about the make-up of the games themselves.
They like to play the games their friends play, and they stick to series they know as "safe".

These guys may have 1 or two consoles, maybe 2 gen iterations. (Like a PS2 and a PS3)
They tend to play Call of Duty, Forza/Gran Turismo, Fifa and other games based on physical things in our world.

Nitendo USED to cater to this group, with Mario and Zelda, until they released the Wii and the DS,(they relied on the thrid parties to pick up the slack, which they did on the DS, but definately didn't on the Wii).
However, after realising the fickleness of casuals and the fact that they don't have the expertise to keep up with that market, they are going back to this area and the hardcore/enthusiast area (mostly enthusiast).

The final "level" is the hardcore/enthusiast.

This is a sort of fork in the road, but not exactly.
You see, at some point a certain genre will stick to someone and they will become almost obsessed with it.
This is where all the "hardcore" go.
(Like, Fighters, Real time strategers, and RPGers)
They will try to learn everything about that genre; the mechanics, the industry, and at some point even other players.
Communities form, hell, even tournaments and in some cases, dev studios that are tailored to the interests of these people.

I kind of border on the fighting game scene. I know OTG is off the ground, in the context of combo-ing, and I know about frame's for 2D fighters, but I'm no expert. I don't spend loads of time mastering techniques and strategies, its still a learn to play pretty well and have fun thing for me.

And here comes the other fork, where I mostly fit into. The enthusiast.
These people are very broad in terms of genres, consoles and games they own and play.
These guys actively research into the idustry and game making as a whole, and they frequent around a lot of general forums on gaming sites.

They will probably own a lot of games, maybe hundreds or rarely thousands, and they will talk about anything at any time.
They like to form groups and play for fun on games like Borderlands ect.
But they also take risks, and play lots of obscure games and genres.
These guys are likely to know the best deals, buy used games (especially retro stuff), and passionately argue about things.

Its a very broad area though, so specific characteristics are impossible to determine.

Of course, this is all a generalisation. Its more of a path or a road but with points where people can just jump on.
I totally agree with such classification. this is what ive seen at least. and i woudl also fit in the last described category, i play all genres (exept sports) i argue passionately and like to know everything everywhere. the only thing that wont fit is im pc-exclusive gamer as i find consoles to be retarded.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Anoni Mus said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
amaranth_dru said:
Mike Kayatta said:
"Every avid game player was once a beginner, or in other words, there are no born advanced players," Iwata said.
I wish more people would accept this as truth. Thats one of the biggest things in multiplayer gaming I see today, people downing on "noobs".
Everyone was once a noob.
Well think of it this way. People who have been gaming for a while grew up with Doom, Quake, Wolfenstien, and Goldeneye. I remember being 10 years old when Counter Strike came out. There was no real casual marketback then besides Mario Party. I think what people are most mad at Nintendo for is its lack of 3rd party support. Remember when the N64 had Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and other 3rd party games that many core gamers loved? That died with the Wii. It was kind of lacking on the Gamecube to be honest.

People are mad about the lack of choice for the kind of game they want to buy for their Nintendo console these days. For example, why play the Goldeneye reboot on the Wii when it will be in HD with extra content on the other two consoles now?

Bad example, Goldeneye is a shooter, so different gameplay, I'll pick Wii Mote over the classic controler 100% of the times(only mouse+keyboard wins).
You missed the point completely. Thank you for not paying attention to the point of the conversation...

And besides you'll be able to use the PS Move on the PS3 version of Goldeneye Reloaded anyways. Not that anyone was talking about controllers in the first place...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Working more with third party developers? The man is a genius who would have thought that could be a good idea...

But seriously, no, this is a good idea Nintendo. You've got a fan base dedicated enough to buy a console consisting entirely of games you make and crud, what could you do if you actually managed to persuade other people to make games for you too?