Nintendo to reveal "major port" next month ?

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
So, in a recent interview with Variety, Adam Creighton of Panic Button said this :

We?ve been working on the hardware for a long time, almost six years,? he told Variety in a recent interview. ?That?s more than almost any third party.?
During that time Panic Button released original work, but also were the team in charge of bringing ?Rocket League,? ?Doom,? and soon ?Wolfenstein II? to Nintendo?s hybrid console. He said the company is working on another major port expected to be announced next month.
Now, panic button have done a very good job so far on the switch. we know they were working on a few switch games, but now we have a date. i bet that the release will be within 3 moths of the announcement. i think maybe soulcaliber VI, diablo III or a fallout game are potential candidates.

What's your idea of this major title could be ?

source : https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/doom-wolfenstein-ii-switch-aaa-1202843637/

cathou

Apr 6, 2009
WolvDragon said:
Could it be that Fallout 3 remaster that was rumored not too long ago? I hope it's not only for Switch.
if Panic button is involve, it's almost sure that it's a game that is either already out on other systems, or that will beeither just before or at the same time. i can see a company that was in the middle of developpement when the switch sales start to pick up that decided to hire panic button to do a switch port of their unreleased game instead of doing it in house

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
Wonderful 101 confirmed.
Don't joke around like that!

Anyway, considering Panic Button has done very, VERY well with the Doom port and Wolfenstein II is looking to be just as good I'll be interested in seeing what they have planned. My guess would be Fallout, maybe Dishonored or Prey.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
OMG A PORT!!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Seriously? I...I just don't care about ports, unless it's another WiiU port.

Then, ya, then I care because it means I don't have to buy a WiiU. XD

cathou

Apr 6, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Surely the Switch getting a ported game is news on par with water being wet?
Ok, but a port is not necessary an old game. Wolfenstein 2 is less than a year old and still call a port. And technically it can be something that is not even out yet. If dev A is working on a game for some time, and that with almost a completed game they decide to have a Switch version. They hire panic button to make a port of their game but they do it early enough that the port and the game are release at the same time. How come that port should be a bad thing ?

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
cathou said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Ok, but a port is not necessary an old game. Wolfenstein 2 is less than a year old and still call a port. And technically it can be something that is not even out yet. If dev A is working on a game for some time, and that with almost a completed game they decide to have a Switch version. They hire panic button to make a port of their game but they do it early enough that the port and the game are release at the same time. How come that port should be a bad thing ?
with Johnny:
Sony ports = good
Nintendo ports = baaaad

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
cathou said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I've hired a team of archaeologists to go over the 15 words I wrote and they tell me none of them refer to "a bad thing".

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
Johnny Novgorod said:
cathou said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I've hired a team of archaeologists to go over the 15 words I wrote and they tell me none of them refer to "a bad thing".
You weren't acceptably excited. When discussing the Switch you must meet an excitement level of 9.99 or higher (out of 10) or your post will be considered negative.

Don't try to use facts either, with the Switch it's all about the hype.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
A port traditionally consists of taking a finished game, and reworking the assets/code (*) for another platform. So it'd be weird to call something that was part of the initial dev cycle a port rather then a in-tandem version. Not that some simultaneous released titles aren't ports (Skyrim PS3 was a port of Skyrim Xbox 360 which was a port of Skyrim PC and you could tell by following the patches), but they're rarely denoted as such by developers.

(* Although back in the dark ages of the late 80s and early 90s, some ports would just try and recreate the stuff, because the systems were just too damn different for any kind of basic asset compatibility like that. Last console gen was when they really started being more compatible with each other (and PCs), and actual muliplatform development started cropping up for more then a handful of titles)

cathou

Apr 6, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
cathou said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
i dont know, i had a vibe about your phrase that seems to indicate that you think that a port sub part with a new game. must be my bad english that made me miss the sense of the words you wrote...

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Fingers Cross Black Ops. That was probably the last game before sequel fatigue fell in. Black Ops had issues on the PC and PS3 but modern Warfare 3 on PS3 was fucking terrible at launch.
Tanis said:
OMG A PORT!!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Seriously? I...I just don't care about ports, unless it's another WiiU port.

Then, ya, then I care because it means I don't have to buy a WiiU. XD
You can find a pretty cheap one, right now there is one on Craigslist for 125 in my area and its the perfect emulation for every game that has come out on Nintendo hardware not including the Switch, Virtual Boy and 3DS. I know you might say the PC is the perfect emulation machine but playing DS games on PC sucks.

Apr 5, 2008
Nintendo, the home of games you've already played before, on other consoles, with better hardware, years ago.

Same as MacOS now that I think about it...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
KingsGambit said:
Nintendo, the home of games you've already played before, on other consoles, with better hardware, years ago.

Same as MacOS now that I think about it...
Except with the Switch you can take it on the go. Pretty big difference.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Let me be clear because I don't want people to misunderstand me.

THE SWITCH NEEDS IT'S OWN IP!!! Ports are fine, but they don't make for a great system. The mobility is a novelty but it is not good enough to sustain any kind of playerbase.

You buy ports on the Switch to pick up a game like Dark Souls while you are at the airport or whatever. But you aren't using you Switch as your sole Dark Souls machine.

You need full on new IP's (like Octopath Traveler) to build a good library for your system. Otherwise your ports can all be played on other systems in easy and better ways.