Nintendo Turned Down Project Natal

JWW

Jan 6, 2010
They allowed Microsoft to get their hands on it and totally ruin it for themselves...maybe it was a smarter move than we thought?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Okay, then. Doesn't really seem all that surprising, if true. Or significant, depending on how Natal does.

Adzma said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Adzma said:
Tom Goldman said:
"Iwata-san only ever invests in something he can guarantee will work for a Nintendo audience."
He should totally invest in a rattle that sits on the end of the Wiimote. They would make billions.
Quoth the fanboy.
You obviously have no idea what the word fanboy means.
Actually, "fanboy" was a much nicer word than what came to my mind.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
brunothepig said:
I'm still a little hazy on the thing, is it like a better eyetoy? Cause they actually were quite fun, but I could win just about every game with a broom... Anyway, whether it's a massive success or not, I think Nintendo have made enough to skip making the next console, and still have more money than competitors. Interesting though, maybe it will lead to another story saying that Nintendo were idiots. Or they dodged a bullet, and Iwata is a genius.
Yes it is the old Eyetoy. Just that they added processing power and feed it new data on how to interpret 3D movement. I say it`s going to fail worse than the Wii failed with hardcore gamers.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Uhh oh, the Wii just slapped Project Natal, I wonder if Natal will return to crush the Wii or become a failure that many like to hope/think will happen.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Didn't Miyamoto or someone say they'd saw it being used an he thought it was pretty rubbish, obviously a paraphrase

If that's true, then this could also be true and that makes me think it's gonna completely fail.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
Kwil said:
Killerbunny001 said:
brunothepig said:
I'm still a little hazy on the thing, is it like a better eyetoy? Cause they actually were quite fun, but I could win just about every game with a broom... Anyway, whether it's a massive success or not, I think Nintendo have made enough to skip making the next console, and still have more money than competitors. Interesting though, maybe it will lead to another story saying that Nintendo were idiots. Or they dodged a bullet, and Iwata is a genius.
Yes it is the old Eyetoy. Just that they added processing power and feed it new data on how to interpret 3D movement. I say it`s going to fail worse than the Wii failed with hardcore gamers.
Not quite. They added another camera, giving the thing true 3D vision, then made one of them infrared so that they can not only distinguish between people and objects but keep excellent track of multiple people at the same time. Combine that with proper voice recognition and really all you need is a projection TV to get the wall out of Total Recall.
While the technological part is true (I didn`t mean to misinform but to shed light on the fact that Natal is the grandson of the Eyetoy and not Optimus Prime ) the rest is just "selling it to the masses". Flailing my arms around like an idiot is not my ideea of gaming, that is IF the flailing will be properly recognized and I doubt it will.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
According to the insider: "Iwata-san only ever invests in something he can guarantee will work for a Nintendo audience."
I call bullshit. The Power Glove, the virtual-boy, etc are just a few examples of Nintendo royally screwing the hell up. They are just trying to spread some FUD about Natal, I expected better from Nintendo.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
internetzealot1 said:
The kiss of death for Natal. If Nintendo actively makes a decision not to do something, then there are some pretty damn good reasons they don't do it.
Snes-CD.
Hello there.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
If some reports are correct, Natal uses around 20% of the processing power of the XBox 360 in order to perform its functions. With all due respect to the Wii, I rather feel that a loss of 20% of processing power would be a much bigger hit for it than for the XBox 360.

I know it's inapt- they're very different platforms, a certain amount of the XBox's power goes into making its HD visuals versus the SD ones of the Wii, and so on, and so on. Still, the most sophisticated perephrial addition the Wii has gotten to date is the Wiimotion Plus. I'm genuinely not certain the Wii would have enough cycles left to process an enjoyable game if it was trying to track four peoples' full-body movements.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
If this does come back and bite them in thebackside I bet wont be happt

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
They made the freakin' Wii, and yet turned THIS down.

This is for the Nintendo audience. They wouldn't even need a controller, what can get more casual than that?

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Meh. Natal seems more gimmicky than anything. I know Nintendo is all about gimmicky, but maybe this was a bit too much for them.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
It makes sense Nintendo turned Natal down: they always go maximum bang per buck.
The wii remote is cheap and does stupid gimicks too. Most Nintendo customers aren't discerning enough to see a difference while, the discerning gamer prefers a game controller or a mouse.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Hmmm, maybe in ten years or so we will have another "Activision didn't buy Blizzard when it was still just worth $7 million".

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Adzma said:
Tom Goldman said:
"Iwata-san only ever invests in something he can guarantee will work for a Nintendo audience."
He should totally invest in a rattle that sits on the end of the Wiimote. They would make billions.
As stupid as it sounds, knowing nintendo.. they propbobaly would.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Killerbunny001 said:
brunothepig said:
I don't believe Natal will work at all, but I wouldn't go that far!

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Digikid said:
Tom Goldman said:
Nintendo might be back on top today, but for a while the PlayStation put quite a dent in Nintendo's
Are you daft or just plain stupid?

Nintendo Console is the top console STILL.
You might want to work on your reading comprehension. That sentence says Nintendo is on top today (in sales, anyway). The PlayStation and PlayStation 2 beat Nintendo up.