Nintendo Turned Down Project Natal

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
To be honest, while I do agree with Nintendo's words on the project, I do think that considering the amount of processing power Natal is supposed to drain from the 360, the Wii would have taken a much larger hit.

Ultimately, there's no point in sacrificing like 30-40% of your processing power, especially for something you don't think will be all that good.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
brunothepig said:
I'm still a little hazy on the thing, is it like a better eyetoy?
Well, kind of, in that it's a camera-based setup that does motion tracking. The Eyetoy is just a basic webcam with a bit of video post-processing capabilities though - it's pretty simplistic. I don't know how much better the demo that Nintendo would have seen at the time would have been though. In the years since then the software behind it has spent a lot of time in Microsoft Research Labs.

I don't know if it's going to be good as a gaming peripheral, but as a piece of technology Natal (as demonstrated today) is pretty phenomenal. The fact that they're able to get a pair of cameras and some software to do what is effectively real-time motion capturing is a very impressive achievement.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
They made the freakin' Wii, and yet turned THIS down.

This is for the Nintendo audience. They wouldn't even need a controller, what can get more casual than that?
The Wii has a funny name and people are still used to controllers.

Project Natal sounds like a hardcore experimental project and people are not used to no controllers.

Should developers really have to make devices for a bigger audience ? The one they have right now is fine and theirs always gonna be more people later on.

m.zajac

Jan 25, 2010
To be honest, I'm quite glad that Nintendo turned down Project Natal. Their blisteringly large amount of, "shovel-ware" has been the most pathetic and epically failed attempt to have everyone in the world love video games.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Digikid said:
Tom Goldman said:
Nintendo might be back on top today, but for a while the PlayStation put quite a dent in Nintendo's
Are you daft or just plain stupid?

Nintendo Console is the top console STILL.
Thats what he said.

"Nintendo may be back on top TODAY"

L2R

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Don't forget that NATAL on nintendo would probably be even more expensive than on X360. It uses a huge percentage of x360 processor, and for the capacity of the wii, it would require a dedicated processor to be included, so it would be more expensive. Also, Motion controls sux. Hope natal and arc die a quick death.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
ahlycks said:
wow i did not know play station was supposed to be a snes but on a cd...
But after playing wild arms one and suikoden one, i am not surprised.
Have a good look at a PlayStation controller (the original, before analog controls were added) and an Snes controller side-by-side...

It's so blatantly close to being the same layout that it makes perfect sense that one started life as an expansion for the other...

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Ah, Nintendo. It's always when they make one runaway success of a console that they turn away ideas that come back to bite them in the ass. Nintendo has a large list of in-house failures so I think they need to learn how to co-operate with other companies before it kills them.

Power Glove, E-Reader, Virtual Boy, The Game Cube GBA Cable, Gameboy Camera, Gamebay Printer, and most of all the failed Phillips CD-i(what Nintendo tried to pass as the SNES-CD @ $700 in 1986) show that Nintendo has got to step iy up in the ideas department.